Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MY FAVORITE WIFE VS. MOVE OVER, DARLING

Hibi

Did anyone catch these two Sat. night?? I hadn't seen Darling in awhile and it doesn't hold up well. Shrill, broadly acted and not very funny. Director Gordon doesn't rein in Day's tendency to overreact in this one. Slack direction as well. (scenes drag on forever). Original wins hands down. (and it's also a lot shorter). I wonder why they didnt use the original script from Something's Gotta Give? It had to be better than THIS. (Nunnally Johnson wrote it, but Cukor brought in his own writer as well)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good observations here, Hibi. 

And, in addition to your comment about Day's overacting in this film, I'll add that as much as I've always liked James Garner, he was never as good as Cary Grant was when he starred in these sorts of updated '60s screwball comedies. But then again in Garner's defense, NOBODY ever was or could be.

(...and for that matter, Irene Dunne was always a hard act to follow too, ya know)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I did see all of Move Over, Darling the other night. And part of My Favorite Wife. Have to admit I like both a lot. (Then again, I'm a huge fan of both Irene and Doris). Also admittedly, I saw Move Over, Darling before My Favorite Wife, so for the former there is still a bit of childhood nostalgia wrapped up in there, but truth is I still found it very funny and also loved Thelma Ritter's part (much expanded from the original film). The original is indeed shorter and quieter, and its very elegant and amusing.

• Like 1

I watched both movies too. The funniest part was Ben's comments just before Noir Alley. This is the second week in a row for me to watch the movie before Noir Alley. Ben gets kind of cute before he hands things over to Eddie Muller.

Both movies are okay. I'm a bigger fan of Doris Day and James Garner. It was funny how Doris Day comments about My Favorite Wife, not mentioning the title but the actors in Move Over Darling. I am guessing that is why TCM played them in reverse order.

It seemed a bit odd to play them back to back, as they seemed so similar. Like starting the movie over with a different cast.

51 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

It seemed a bit odd to play them back to back, as they seemed so similar. Like starting the movie over with a different cast.

Isn't that what all remakes are? Basically the same movie again, with an updated cast.

Some of them are shot-for-shot remakes so the duplicate nature of the story is even more evident.

I got a real kick out of Edgar Buchanan as the judge in Move Over, Darling. I agree that timing was a problem in general, but it paid off in his case I think. And Don Knotts was fun. The one who disappointed the most was Polly Bergen. I like her, so I'm assuming she played the role as directed and as written. It was impossible to believe James Garner would have fallen for her, so there's a huge credibility problem smack dab in the center of the movie. I kept getting distracted by the set, which was supposedly an exact replica of George Cukor's home and pool, where all those parties happened. That was the pool Marilyn did her famous skinny dip in.

The great chemistry Doris and James Garner had in The Thrill of It All just isn't there; either he's ticked off with her or she's ticked off with him and they don't really blend. Cary Grant and Irene Dunne blended better because they both had a bemused air in the face of all the various crises. There was a real relationship they could fall back on. The scene which always amazes me is the one where Cary goes to check out Randolph Scott at the pool and overheats so much he has to pat himself down. Did that just go over people's heads? For an inside joke, it was pretty risky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Isn't that what all remakes are? Basically the same movie again, with an updated cast.

Some of them are shot-for-shot remakes so the duplicate nature of the story is even more evident.

First thing. I am no longer receiving any notifications when I'm quoted. Only reactions, which is so not necessary. 

Second. Guess they can't all be like The Philadelphia Story/High Society. The differences for me are enough to make a back to back showing on TCM just fine.

So who will play in A Star Is Born Five? Being the First Of April, I just have to ask! Maybe it will be a Science Fiction
film.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Guess they can't all be like The Philadelphia Story/High Society. The differences for me are enough to make a back to back showing on TCM just fine.

My view is that even if there aren't a lot of differences between the original and the remake, it's still kind of fun to see them back to back. And if the story is good, what's so wrong about it?

Years from now MY FAVORITE WIFE will still be considered a classic while MOVE OVER, DARLING a rather silly movie.  Most Doris Day films were like that (including Hudson/Day films) in the early 1960's.  The formula was working (making lots of money) so they kept at it ie. Day's tendency to overreact. But I  did like That Touch of Mink (1962).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did anyone catch these two Sat. night?? I hadn't seen Darling in awhile and it doesn't hold up well. Shrill, broadly acted and not very funny. Director Gordon doesn't rein in Day's tendency to overact in this one. Slack direction as well. (scenes drag on forever). Original wins hands down. (and it's also a lot shorter). I wonder why they didnt use the original script from Something's Gotta Give? It had to be better than THIS. (Nunnally Johnson wrote it, but Cukor brought in his own writer as well)

I'VE NEVER (oops) seen MOVE OVER, DARLING- but I have the most unusual relationship with MY FAVORITE WIFE, one possibly unique in my viewing experiences.

I did not like it the first six times I saw it, but the seventh time, it clicked. And then I rewatched it again and liked it again....so, go figure?

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'VE NEVER (oops) seen MOVE OVER, DARLING- but I have the most unusual relationship with MY FAVORITE WIFE, one possibly unique in my viewing experiences.

I did not like it the first six times I saw it, but the seventh time, it clicked. And then I rewatched it again and liked it again....so, go figure?

Strange.

I've had movies that I liked, didn't like, then liked again. Must have been the frame of mind I was in when I watched them.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

My view is that even if there aren't a lot of differences between the original and the remake, it's still kind of fun to see them back to back. And if the story is good, what's so wrong about it?

It may sound like I'm complaining. Not so. I enjoyed seeing the two movies, and the reverse order was a creative plus on the part of TCM. Must confess. Not a fan of Cary Grant most of the time. So maybe, who is in the movie is more important to me. Never said I was normal.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

It may sound like I'm complaining. Not so. I enjoyed seeing the two movies, and the reverse order was a creative plus on the part of TCM. Must confess. Not a fan of Cary Grant most of the time. So maybe, who is in the movie is more important to me. Never said I was normal.

Yeah, I didn't think you were complaining. Just making an observation. :) 

It is possible to turn off notifications when someone quotes you. I didn't realized it was turned off or that I could do that. Oops! Guess it is the "Like" type notifications that cannot be disabled. Kind of wish it were possible to delete notifications once they have been read. I know, should post in the proper place. Just making a simple comment since I'm already here.

Just now, Michael Rennie said:

It is possible to turn off notifications when someone quotes you. I didn't realized it was turned off or that I could do that. Oops! Guess it is the "Like" type notifications that cannot be disabled. Kind of wish it were possible to delete notifications once they have been read. I know, should post in the proper place. Just making a simple comment since I'm already here.

Maybe try posting your questions in the Technical Issues area. The moderator and other people in-the-know read that part of the message board and can provide more detailed answers.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wonder why they didnt use the original script from Something's Gotta Give? It had to be better than THIS. (Nunnally Johnson wrote it, but Cukor brought in his own writer as well)

Fox's "Something's Gotta Give" restoration from the Marilyn DVD set/AMC should still be floating around YouTube if you can find it.  (And John McGiver's perfect as the judge at the beginning.)

And yes, "Move Over" needed someone as sharp on romantic comedy as Doris Day was, which sweet, ethereal Marilyn simply wasn't by that point.

I've seen both My Favorite Wife and Move Over Darling.  I like both for different reasons.  Move Over Darling used much of the same dialogue from My Favorite Wife, and then there were differences here and there.  For example in My Favorite Wife, Cary Grant and Irene Dunne have a boy and a girl.  I think in Move Over Darling, the children are both girls. 

I liked Thelma Ritter and Don Knotts in 'Darling.' But prefer Cary Grant over James Garner, even though I have nothing wrong with Garner.  I agree with the comment made re: Polly Bergen.  She's fine, but it's hard to believe that Garner would be head over heels for her.  Too bad the film didn't retain the Something's Gotta Give casting of Cyd Charisse.  Dean Martin was originally slated for Garner's role.  Doris Day and Martin would have made an interesting pairing.  If Marilyn Monroe had lived and was able to make Something's Gotta Give (I can't remember if she was fired, re-hired, then died or whether she was fired and then died), it would have been interesting seeing her in a maternal role.  I don't recall Marilyn having any other roles playing a mother. 

Ultimately, I think I prefer the original with Grant and Dunne, but I didn't have any issues with the remake featuring Day and Garner.  I also really like Too Many Husbands which is the flip-flopped version of 'Wife,' and 'Darling.' Jean Arthur is cast in the Grant/Garner role.  Fred MacMurray is featured in the Dunne/Day role and Melvyn Douglas shows up in the Patrick/Bergen part.  It's an interesting take on the same source material.

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did anyone catch these two Sat. night?? I hadn't seen Darling in awhile and it doesn't hold up well. Shrill, broadly acted and not very funny. Director Gordon doesn't rein in Day's tendency to overreact in this one. Slack direction as well. (scenes drag on forever). Original wins hands down. (and it's also a lot shorter). I wonder why they didnt use the original script from Something's Gotta Give? It had to be better than THIS. (Nunnally Johnson wrote it, but Cukor brought in his own writer as well)

I couldn't get through Move Over, Darling this time around.  In my opinion, one of Day's worst.  Polly Bergen's character and acting grates on me.  I usually like James Garner, but in this one he's a stiff.  Thelma Ritter is always good but maybe she should have skipped this one.  My Favorite Wife wins hands down.

• Like 1

This is a simple question.

I'd say that you can answer this with a comparison:

What's the difference between diamonds and zirconia?

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

They both look pretty good but only one is good for a lifetime or eternity--

unless of course " My Favorite Wife"  was only on nitrate.  LOL

However , from what little I've seen of "Something's Gotta Give", it might have become a classic too

-- or at least a precious stone.

Move Over, Darling

The movie grossed $12,705,882 in the United States,[2] becoming one of the biggest hits of the year and helped to keep 20th Century Fox afloat after Cleopatra. It earned $6 million in US theatrical rentals.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Move_Over,_Darling

It made money and that was fine with 20th Century Fox despite the quality!

• Thanks 1

Speedy, Marilyn was fired, but 20th could not get the project off the ground without her (Lee Remick was cast as her replacement) as Dean Martin refused to work with anyone else. Marilyn was then rehired a few months later but died shortly before production resumed.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings