Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gene

What s up with Anderson Cooper ????

Why is Ben Mankiewicz  politicizing tcm ??? and bringing Anderson cooper on here ??? he is not a journalist,he is a biased partisan Hack with a talk show,lets not politicize this great channel.lets face the fact,that these great classic actors were not liberals,but patriots !!!

• Like 1

It may come as a shock to you but, many actors (including the classic era), were politically active.

26 minutes ago, gene said:

lets face the fact,that these great classic actors were not liberals,but patriots !!!

Let's not canonize these people. They were ordinary men and women just like you and I. They were very good at expressing themselves on stage and screen. But, they had faults just like anyone else. Some were liberals, some were conservatives.

I guess you never heard of the Red Scare ??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gene said:

Why is Ben Mankiewicz  politicizing tcm ??? and bringing Anderson cooper on here ??? he is not a journalist,he is a biased partisan Hack with a talk show,lets not politicize this great channel.lets face the fact,that these great classic actors were not liberals,but patriots !!!

Art is political-- just look at Picasso.....

It seems to me that if you have such a big interest in TCM and classic film, we would have heard from you before. But with your first entry having to do with partisan politics, I do Wonder?

At any rate you're on the wrong side-- of the website. LOL

As for the classic actors and actresses-- they were of all kinds of political Persuasions.

Just to give you a little background information--

Katharine Hepburn

Spencer Tracy

Robert Ryan

Melvyn Douglas

Gene Kelly

Humphrey Bogart

John Huston

Richard Widmark

Tony Curtis

Shirley MacLaine

Jeff Chandler

John Garfield

I can go on but all these people were very very left of center.

If you stay with us you'll learn a lot more about classic films.

PS I will remind you that a person can be left of center, and even a liberal and be a patriot, like maybe Franklin D Roosevelt or Harry S Truman.

• Like 5

eh...? Who IS ...'Anderson Cooper'? :huh:

NEVERMIND...rhetorical question! :angry:

• Haha 1

I happen to like Anderson Cooper. I only watch him on 60 Minutes. He is enjoyable to listen to. I believe he does a fine job. As for the statement above. CNN for a long time.

Lucille Ball was very far left too and Paul Robeson was an outright tankie. Anderson Cooper isn't even very far left compared to some of those golden era actors. :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Lucille Ball was very far left too and Paul Robeson was an outright tankie. Anderson Cooper isn't even very far left compared to some of those golden era actors. :) 

I was just going to mention Lucille Ball. 

Other well-known Hollywood liberals: Fredric March, Ann Harding (she openly supported the NAACP), Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda, Elizabeth Taylor, Sidney Poitier, Katharine Hepburn, John Garfield, Judy Garland, Dore Schary, Darryl Zanuck, Bette Davis, James Cagney, the list goes on.

• Like 2

It must mean Ben Mankiewicz hates freedom, the troops, apple pie, and puppies. What a scoundrel!

qjMBEw.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gene said:

Seems like a hit-and-run post.

Let's say TCM was politicizing things from a conservative viewpoint, would you even have felt the need to create a thread? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

I also wonder why they'd pick a host with the lowest ratings during him time slot.

Yeah, it's too bad he has some experience covering major news stories in the field.

Image result for anderson cooper hurricane katrina

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

Lot of bogus items posted above: E.g. Ben isn't in charge of TCM,  therefore Ben isn't responsible for Anderson Cooper being on.     There were many liberal 'great classic actors'.   

But I also wonder why TCM decided to have Anderson Cooper on;  He isn't a journalist but a highly biased partisan talking-head.    I wouldn't have liked to see the morons Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh as a guest on TCM.  

Of course I assume another reason Gene doesn't like Cooper is that he is gay.   Great classic actors were not gay!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Of course I assume another reason Gene doesn't like Cooper is that he is gay. 

Well Cooper's in esteemed company. According to Robert Osborne's wiki page, he was gay. And I presume Osborne was a liberal.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Lot of bogus items posted above: E.g. Ben isn't in charge of TCM,  therefore Ben isn't responsible for Anderson Cooper being on.     There were many liberal 'great classic actors'.   

But I also wonder why TCM decided to have Anderson Cooper on;  He isn't a journalist but a highly biased partisan talking-head.    I wouldn't have liked to see the morons Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh as a guest on TCM.  

Of course I assume another reason Gene doesn't like Cooper is that he is gay.   Great classic actors were not gay!!!!!! 

I wouldn't exactly expect any of them to agree to do it.  Why go to all that trouble when they can just use their own platforms to bring old movies to the discussion as they see fit, to their heart's content and without any interference or outside editorial "help", which I'm sure every single one of them does already.

Practically speaking, having Anderson Cooper on probably had to do with the fact that Cooper works for CNN, another channel formerly owned by Warner Bros. and now in the hands of "the Death Star" - AT&T.

• Haha 1

What's down with Anderson Cooper? Gloria isn't leaving him any dough or at least that's

what he says.

Aaaaah, yet ANOTHER one of those "One Post Wonders" here, EH?!

And, don't ya just "LOVE" how THIS guy expressed his little "complaint" here TOO?!

(...yeah, "Patriots"...gimme a freakin' break here...yeah, I'll bet this guy now ALSO probably thinks "TCM doesn't love America anymore"...GOD I'm so damn tired of people like this guy, and now sure as hell HOPE that this WILL BE his one AND only post at this website)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Aaaaah, yet ANOTHER one of those "One Post Wonders" here, EH?!

And, don't ya just "LOVE" how THIS guy expressed his little "complaint" here TOO?!

(...yeah, "Patriots"...gimme a freakin' break here...yeah, I'll bet this guy now ALSO probably thinks "TCM doesn't love America anymore"...GOD I'm so damn tired of people like this guy, and now sure as hell HOPE that this WILL BE his one AND only post at this website)

It also makes me laugh when those "types" rail against liberals when the founding fathers were heavily influenced by John Locke and the US is pretty much the standard liberal democracy for the world.

• Like 3

Okay, and now that's I've gotten the disgust with the OP of this thread out of my system, I'll NOW just state that the only part of Cooper and Ben's wraparounds I watched was the out-tro to The Quiet American, and a movie I've always thought would have been a lot better IF a TRUE "patriot" BUT generally a pretty bad actor, one Audie Murphy, hadn't been cast in the eponymous role.

And re that out-tro...I thought Cooper and Ben's conversation about this film, one that is set in Vietnam before we Americans stuck OUR big fat freakin' noses into it there, was a rather insightful conversation between two intelligent men. That's right, "intelligent", and something that seems SORELY freakin' LACKING in our country today!!!

(...OOPS, I guess I WASN'T done expressing my disgust here after ALL, huh!)

LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Yeah, it's too bad he has some experience covering major news stories in the field.

You want more political diversity than vanilla ice cream these days (but sorry for breaking up the love fest).

8 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

You want more political diversity than vanilla ice cream these days (but sorry for breaking up the love fest).

Awww, that's okay MM, no apologies required here, dude.

SAAAY, how about if perhaps TCM would've gotten instead one of those OH-so "bright" individuals on that "Fox and Friends" show, which I'll bet you sit raptly watching every day, and would have had sat across from Ben to discuss all this stuff? YOU know, maybe that one very pretty BUT dumb as a box of rocks young lady who recently made the comment, the extremely INCORRECT comment mind you, that America was "the first country to abolish slavery". And then with nary a ONE of the OTHER hosts on that show correcting her about that, and most likely because they're ALL as ignorant of historical FACTS as SHE is!!!

OR maybe TCM could've gotten the guy or gal in charge of the graphics on that Fox program. YOU know, the idiot who just the other day posted a script down below of those ignorant talking heads, BUT evidently NOT "vanilla" somehow, the line that read: "Trump cuts aid to 3 Mexican Countries"!!! LOL

(...yeeeeah, and here some people still say Fox is the only news source that "gets it right"...yeeeeah, suuuuure) 

LOL...some more now

• Like 1

Soooo, whaddaya think of my above suggestions here, MM? I'll bet if TCM would have done those instead of putting on that pretty boy Anderson Cooper to talk about "journalism in the movies", you and the OP of this damn thread and almost every OTHER "good ol' right-thinkin' 'Merican" would be as pleased as punch with THAT sort'a thing, huh! 

(...ya know folks, somehow I don't think MM is gonna reply to this...gee, I wonder why?!!!)

LOL

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

As Jack Webb's Sgt. Friday used to say, I want "just the facts, Ma'am." And by any means necessary.

7 minutes ago, jakeem said:

As Jack Webb's Sgt. Friday used to say, I want "just the facts, Ma'am." And by any means necessary.

Good use of a famous line here jakeem, however I'm sorry to inform you here, but you're definitely in the minority anymore when it comes to this sort of thing. 

You see, it appears the vast majority of people now days and decades after Webb would become famous for that line, prefer that the "facts" they receive primary support and confirm some preconceived, unshakable and most often anecdotally-derived notion which they hold.

(...and regardless those "facts" themselves being supported by proven and verifiable data or not)

• Like 1