Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gene

What s up with Anderson Cooper ????

Just thought I'd remind everyone to 'not feed the troll'!

I clicked on the OP's name and saw that they joined TCM 15 hours ago.  They made their first, and most likely, only post 14 hours ago.  On top of that, the complaint they have about what they saw took place 6 days ago.  Six days to stew about something they allegedly witnessed before stating their disgust about it?  Sorry, not buying it.

Just as we have all been annoyed with the nonsensical Korean posts that used to litter these message boards on occasion, I'd suggest we 'read but don't respond' to stuff like the OP put out.  I smell borscht, if you catch my drift. 

• Like 2

Meh, probably well known here by now that I'm very very conservative but I didn't have a problem with Cooper introducing the movies.  I didn't hear anything over the top that would push a political agenda one way or the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

I clicked on the OP's name and saw that they joined TCM 15 hours ago.  They made their first, and most likely, only post 14 hours ago.  On top of that, the complaint they have about what they saw took place 6 days ago.  Six days to stew about something they allegedly witnessed before stating their disgust about it?  Sorry, not buying it.

Just as we have all been annoyed with the nonsensical Korean posts that used to litter these message boards on occasion, I'd suggest we 'read but don't respond' to stuff like the OP put out.  I smell borscht, if you catch my drift. 

Yes, very sound advice here, midwesty. VERY sound.

(...although I'm STILL kind'a wondering what our friend MovieMadness thinks of my earlier suggestions???)

LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

These type of trolls never take the bait;  I.e. they rarely reply.    But I believe the complaint is 100% 'legit' (in that these folks really feel they way they feel).

In fact I'm surprised there are not more of these posts.  Once I saw that TCM was going to have Anderson Cooper on with Ben,  I assumed there would be major push-back by conservatives.    E.g. when Ben mentions the Red-Scare there are some posts complaining that Ben is a liberal hack.     

• Like 1

I can live with trolls like the OP which, for the most part, I avoid.

I'm just glad that the daily spam attack from Korea on these boards seems to be a thing of the past.

• Thanks 1

They call it grass, weed, maryjane, wacky tabacky, reefer, shark juice, bumble squat,

whiny wam, pound puddle. But it always ends in the same three letters, DOA.

I recall Roger Ebert once saying something to the effect he would have loved to hear presidential candidates in a debate asked to name their favorite movies, as it would probably tell you more about who they were than any of their policy answers. I expect a lot of them perhaps being politically shallow would say "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" since the film carefully avoids claiming which party the villain's corruption occupies.

Bill Clinton had indicated "High Noon" was his favorite, a film that John Wayne insisted was un-American because of what Gary Cooper does with his tin star at the end. But I also remember footage from the 1952 Oscars where Wayne makes a joke about him having done westerns all his life and they offer "High Noon" to Cooper, as if Wayne would have wanted it.

Just after the last presidential election, I found the following article funny about the current president's misunderstanding of what he calls his favorite movie:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/how-donald-trump-rewrote-citizen-kane

And when it comes to forcing your way into a movie world where you don't belong, have you ever heard about how his organization made it a contracted rule that any project filming at one of his venues has to write and film a scene with him in it, whether or not they actually keep it, which is why he's actually in "Home Alone 2" but on the cutting-room floor for "Scent of a Woman":

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/donald-trump-scent-of-a-woman

5 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Some people fear what they don't understand:

And some people fear anyone who doesn't look like them, talk like them, act like them, etc etc etc.....

• Sad 1

Speaking of Fox and Friends, this guy used to break me up...

image.png.363c8de8e788026eefca22d39c0d3c05.png

.... Brian Kilmeade. He always acted like someone had turned on the wrong teleprompter and that he had a sudden mind blank and really  reminded me of this...

image.png.95d25a4e792750fcf5cad133f70bad51.png

... but at least at Fox he is not the only deer trapped in headlights. His situation is more like this...

image.jpeg.1ad7351819b3f8272ff50cfca553bc95.jpeg

I don't work at the place that has 24/7 Fox anymore. So I don't even know if he is still on that network.

• Haha 2

I am quite saddened by this once great station to take such a political stand using some so full of hate and bias which has truly hurt our country and increased the divide.  Shame on you. 

1 minute ago, katielin said:

I am quite saddened by this once great station to take such a political stand using some so full of hate and bias which has truly hurt our country and increased the divide.  Shame on you. 

I'm quite saddened that your first and probably only post has to do with a partisan political stance that is at best quite subjective.

If you truly love Classic Cinema and Classic Cinema stars in earnest, then I would expect that you would have quite a history on this website of talking about it--expressing your knowledge and opinions about it.

But if you are completely new to us  and you truly love  the Golden Age of Hollywood like I do, then I invite you to join us on our quizzes and trivia fun.

And also I would like for you to share with us who you truly are interested in in classic film. Cuz I know there will be someone else on this website who also has those same interests. That's what basically has brought us all together here.

I welcome you to this website and I am anxious to hear about your classic movie interests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TCM took the partisan political stance.  That is the sad part.  It is a cancer and it is everywhere.

2 minutes ago, katielin said:

TCM took the partisan political stance.  That is the sad part.  It is a cancer and it is everywhere.

Would it bother you if their stance was pro-conservative politics? Or is it just because they're featuring an out gay liberal (Cooper)..?

I didn't watch any of the intros that Cooper took part in. Did he say something explicitly partisan, or politically objectionable? Or is it his mere presence that offends some enough to create an account just to voice their displeasure? 

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I didn't watch any of the intros that Cooper took part in. Did he say something explicitly partisan, or politically objectionable? Or is it his mere presence that offends some enough to create an account just to voice their displeasure? 

Good questions. I didn't see his wraparounds either, but he seems to have become a "whipping boy" in a few of these threads. 

He only did two nights. So in the grand scheme of things, he had limited airtime on TCM. I really don't see what the big fuss is about...if someone doesn't like Anderson Cooper, then all they had to do was not watch TCM on those two nights. There was plenty of advance "warning" (advertising) that this series would include him.

If Cooper's presence and his viewpoints threaten people, then it is more a reflection of their own intolerance. He's hardly committed a crime introducing films alongside Ben Mankiewicz. And it's totally unrealistic for viewers to expect every single guest host to conform to their own beliefs.

49 minutes ago, katielin said:

Lady (I would assume by your name), plain and simple here for you...WHEN it comes to the use of "hate and bias" in today's America, Anderson Cooper PALES in comparison to the man(child) you obviously voted for in the last presidential election...PERIOD!!!

(...and THAT is the PURE and OBVIOUS, and not "fake", FACT of this situation this country is now in!!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

For a moment, I thought this was the same thread and all the replies were deleted or something.

Yes, me too...I went back a page or two and found the prior thread, because at first, I wasn't sure if it still existed.

For the record, when you've agitated Dargo, a bunch of hornets can't be far behind.

They are waiting for you in Off Topic Chit-Chat.

Please do not clog this part of the forum with comments that don't belong.

Hopefully, Mods will move it for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

For the record, when you've agitated Dargo, a bunch of hornets can't be far behind.

They are waiting for you in Off Topic Chit-Chat.

Please do not clog this part of the forum with comments that don't belong.

Hopefully, Mods will move it for you.

"Agitated"? ME, M.R.???

Why, I have NO idea what you're talkin' about here!

2008-aug-hornet-nest-lo-res-0298.jpg

(...buzz...buzz...buzz) ;)

LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Good question.  LOL  Everyone here is assuming it is a matter of which side, whose politics, etc.

26 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Good question.  LOL  Everyone here is assuming it is a matter of which side, whose politics, etc.

But it's to be noted that one partisan side is particularly anti-LGBT.

When I'm on YouTube and I'm looking for some particular old movie starring one of my favorites or another rendition of

"Turkey Lurkey"-- I'm a "Turkey Lurkey" fanatic and that's best for another thread. LOL

I often happen upon a lot of gross comments about CNN anchors who are gay and and/or black and gay. And they seem to be particularly nastier than comments about those anchors in general.

But I find another "Turkey Lurkey " and I'm a happy camper again. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

If you want MY guess here Lawrence, it would be the latter which got some of these "One Post Wonders" all fired-up enough to do this. I'll bet NONE of 'em even BOTHERED to watch that "Journalism in the Movies" series once they heard Cooper would be involved in it.

(...YOU know, kind'a like how Scorese was immediately vilified by some after his The Passion of the Christ movie was released and with very very FEW of 'em even having watched the thing beforehand)