Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

David Letterman

Recommended Posts

Has David Letterman returned to the Late Show as a guest on Steven Colbert yet?  Like Jay Leno has returned to the Tonight Show as a guest on Jimmy Fallon a few times and also to help Jimmy Fallon with the monologue sometimes?  I would love to see that.  I think it would be so cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Gary Shandling on those Late-Night shows too. Too bad he's gone.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I liked Gary Shandling on those Late-Night shows too. Too bad he's gone.

Uh, those were fictional late-night shows.   Hey, they were funny but I'm sure one should compare them to late-night shows like Letterman,  Carson,  Leno, Fallen etc..

Much more like Fernwood 2-Night.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize that; but I believe I also recall him 'sitting in' for Carson or Leno when they were on vacation. No? Yes? I don't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I realize that; but I believe I also recall him 'sitting in' for Carson or Leno when they were on vacation. No? Yes? I don't know.

The answer is yes:  From Wiki: He made a successful stand-up performance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and became a frequent guest-host on the series. Shandling was for a time considered the leading contender to replace Johnny Carson (other hopefuls were Joan Rivers, David Letterman, and David Brenner).

So your 'recall' is much better than mine!    Bottom line was that Gary was funny with an odd sense of humor that was't too-out-there.

PS:  I really just wanted to  mention Fernwood 2-Night again.   That would be twice in a month and all because you reminded me of that series with your Martin Mull post.   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, but am not sure, Letterman once appeared on Colbert's show.

I have to admit it took me a little time to warm to Colbert and after being such a big fan of Letterman's for so long.

It probably was more a result of at first wondering how Colbert, who my first exposure to was his playing of the clueless blowhard on Jon Stewart's old show and wondering how this guy could possibly fit into the late night talk show format as host, but I've now discovered Colbert to be a very intelligent and funny guy, and who interacts with his guests as well as anyone who has sat behind a talk show host's desk.

(...well, at least he doesn't fawn over every freakin' guest of HIS like Fallon does now days, anyway)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Fernwood2Night. You're not pinching my foot. Talk about that show anywhere, anytime. I believe I even bought the series on DVD once, to try to see any episode which I might have missed. It was surreal humor; Bart Gimbel always bringing on local townspeople notable for nothing other than frequently spotting UFOs or eating-too-much at the "Bun'n'Run" diner. Bart winding up in Fernwood in the first place, thanks to DWI. So many odd, absurdist little bits like that. And Frank De Vol --deadpan extraordinaire--with the baton.

Agree on Gary Shandling's humor: very quiet, very gentle; very quizzical and "pondering" (towards life's big picture). I never became a fan of Seinfeld; to me, the modern Jewish comic shtick was perfectly provided by Shandling. He had all I looked for. Seinfeld was too loud.

(p.s. At least I hope both these guys were of-the-faith, but whadda I know? I thought Iron Eyes Cody was First Nations!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seinfeld is Jewish.

Shandling was ethnically Jewish, but he was a practicing Buddhist. I highly recommend the recent documentary The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling to anyone who's interested in him.

ZenDiariesOfGarryShandling.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Shandling was a practicing Buddhist but did not give up on his Jewish faith and Jerry is a practicing Jew and proud of his heritage and family. Both very Jewish in their humor. Loved them both. Agreed on Fernwood Tonight, really enjoyed that show. Many comedies like the Dick Van Dyke Show ( even though Mary and Dick were not Jewish) had"Jewish sensibilities" in the humor.  Carl Reiner was and is a practicing Jewish man and that comes across in the Dick Van Dyke Show. So sad when Gary Shandling passed away, I loved both the Larry Sanders and Gary Shandling show. Can't agree about Jerry though. It was a Brilliant show and will always be hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Gary Shandling was a practicing Jew 

I hate to disagree, but Shandling was a practicing Buddhist for the last couple of decades of his life, at least. It's discussed at length in the documentary I mentioned above. It's also referenced on his Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Shandling#Personal_life

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to get the skinny on this. Thanks.

Something else that lent to my conjoining the two together was that both Seinfelf and Shandling had a similar cast-member in a short, portly, balding, be-spectacled, mustachioed individual. Usually wearing a sweater-vest and pens in his breast pocket, Hagar slacks, etc. I never knew what role that guy played in anything, so I left it out of my attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I hate to disagree, but Shandling was a practicing Buddhist for the last couple of decades of his life, at least. It's discussed at length in the documentary I mentioned above. It's also referenced on his Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Shandling#Personal_life

You don;t have to disagree, already knew about Gary since I watched the HBO doc months ago about Gary. I changed my post before you commented since I meant to first write that Jerry was a practicing Jew. But thanks anyway for the correction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never crazy about Jerry Seinfeld, and never warmed to the show, either, but I've enjoyed Jerry on his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show.

In my opinion as a student of stand-up comedy and sketch comedy through the decades, on average the funniest performers have been Jewish, followed by the Canadians, followed by the Brits. However, my favorite stand-up comedian of all time was George Carlin who was none of the three, so go figure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not Jerry as a stand-up so much as the Seinfeld show I loved. I don't get how you couldn't warm up to the show and the nutty characters. Never could understand anyone feeling that way but you're not the only one. For me, Seinfeld will rate up there with Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Golden Girls as classic great comedy shows. ( ps LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm also)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's not Jerry as a stand-up so much as the Seinfeld show I loved. I don't get how you couldn't warm up to the show and the nutty characters. Never could understand anyone feeling that way but you're not the only one. For me, Seinfeld will rate up there with Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Golden Girls as classic great comedy shows. ( ps LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm also)

That's another weird thing: I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I think Larry David is hilarious. So I really don't know why I can't click with Seinfeld, beyond not liking Jerry very much, and really not liking Jason Alexander. However, I've adored Julia Louis-Dreyfus since back in her Saturday Night Live days, and have liked her in everything since. And Kramer is Kramer. Despite the later troubles, I've always liked Michael Richards.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I was never crazy about Jerry Seinfeld, and never warmed to the show, either, but I've enjoyed Jerry on his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show.

In my opinion as a student of stand-up comedy and sketch comedy through the decades, on average the funniest performers have been Jewish, followed by the Canadians, followed by the Brits. However, my favorite stand-up comedian of all time was George Carlin who was none of the three, so go figure.

Personally, I've always found Coptic Christians, followed by Lithuanians, and followed by Hondurans to be the funniest people on this planet.

(...and if you could ever find one person who's somehow all three of these, I'd probably die laughing within ten minutes of catching their act)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although not about those great guys, although still chuckling when I think about Gary and Jerry's shows, Robert Klein grew up on the same street I did. He attended the same elementary and JHS I did. He's a little older than I am and I didn't know him, but he's the same age as my sister was, had the same teachers and skipped the 8th grade just as my sister did. His autobiography is an excellent read, describes our neighborhood and what it was like growing up in the 50's and 60's there perfectly. One of the best and most enjoyable bios I've ever read and I highly recommend his book The Amorous Busboy of Decatur Avenue. He even did an HBO special about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dargo said:

Personally, I've always found Coptic Christians, followed by Lithuanians, and followed by Hondurans to be the funniest people on this planet.

(...and if you could ever find one person who's somehow all three of these, I'd probably die laughing within ten minutes of catching their act)

Then how about Tawadros Dominykas Zelaya, the #1 act on the Coptic Lithuanian-Honduran comedy circuit!

tenor.gif?itemid=8517485

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 Robert Klein. Great on college campuses when he toured.

...none of these other names, (except Carlin of course) am I familiar with...(and I still don't know Kevin Hart either).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Although not about those great guys, although still chuckling when I think about Gary and Jerry's shows, Robert Klein grew up on the same street I did. He attended the same elementary and JHS I did. He's a little older than I am and I didn't know him, but he's the same age as my sister was, had the same teachers and skipped the 8th grade just as my sister did. His autobiography is an excellent read, describes our neighborhood and what it was like growing up in the 50's and 60's there perfectly. One of the best and most enjoyable bios I've ever read and I highly recommend his book The Amorous Busboy of Decatur Avenue. He even did an HBO special about it.

I had to swear off Robert Klein for a while back in the day, lavender.

You see, it got to the point where every time I'd hear somebody playing blues harmonica, I couldn't stop my leg.

(...from doing that)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

+1 Robert Klein. Great on college campuses when he toured.

...none of these other names, (except Carlin of course) am I familiar with...(and I still don't know Kevin Hart either).

BUT, you DO have the Cardi B thing down now, don't ya Sarge?!

(...and so at least we're making SOME headway here, anyway)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

 

I had to swear off Robert Klein for a while back in the day, lavender.

You see, it got to the point where every time I'd hear somebody playing jazz harmonica, I couldn't stop my leg.

(...from doing that)

He's a brilliant comedian. Jerry has been quoted as saying Robert is the most intelligent and his favorite. Yes, his leg goes on and on in that special. Very funny that you remembered about that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Klein, aye...very astute. Continuing a great tradition begun by MORT SAHL

800px-Mort_Sahl_-1.jpg

p.s. no Dargo unfortunately I do not know what a Cardi is. Wasn't that a compact front-wheel drive sedan marketed by Puegot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's another weird thing: I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I think Larry David is hilarious. So I really don't know why I can't click with Seinfeld, beyond not liking Jerry very much, and really not liking Jason Alexander. However, I've adored Julia Louis-Dreyfus since back in her Saturday Night Live days, and have liked her in everything since. And Kramer is Kramer. Despite the later troubles, I've always liked Michael Richards.

It's really a bit loud. The characters are always shouting and yelling. It gets to be a bit obnoxious at times. That is just my opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...