Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All The Brothers Were Valiant - wrong aspect ratio

BingFan

Right now (10am to 11:45am, April 3), TCM is showing All The Brothers Were Valiant in the wrong aspect ratio.  This 1953 movie is obviously meant to be 4:3, but TCM has it stretched out to fill a wide screen. The picture is distorted and essentially unwatchable.  (Six-footer Robert Taylor looks like he’s about the size of Mickey Rooney.)

i know this was probably just a mistake — someone probably thought, wrongly, that this movie was in a widescreen format.  We all make mistakes.  (At least, I hope  this was just a mistake and not an indication that TCM now thinks that every movie should be in widescreen format, which would be a disaster.)

But I wish TCM would be more careful.  The picture is so distorted that they may as well have not shown the movie at all.  Very disappointing. 

Ya know, don't ya BF, that there's a quick and simple fix for this.

Yep, after seeing this post of yours, I've just now turned on my TV this morning to TCM, and to see what you're talking about here.

AND, I found IF I sit at about a 45 to 50 degree angle from straight on to my TV set, Robert Taylor, Stewart Granger AND Ann Blyth all start looking as they should.

(...although I also found little Ann Blyth actually looks a little better with a little more meat on her bones, and with Taylor and Granger just looking fatter from straight on)

;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings