Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

GARBO

Surprised are no threads about our SOTM. Is ANYONE watching??? I recorded her first 2 Hollywood films as I haven't seen them in a long time, but have not watched them yet. I really HATE when a SOTM is squeezed into one week every night. I'm not in the mood to watch the same star all week, no matter how much I may like them (and definitely if I don't!)

• Thanks 1

Yeah.  And in GARBO'S case, not a fan here.  So.....

Been hitting the DVD library!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Surprised are no threads about our SOTM.

There's a thread in the Star of the Month forum where people have been commenting:

I agree that it's too much to have so many of one star's films bombard the viewer in a week. And that's what it feels like too, a bombardment.

Who is going to take the time to watch so much of one star in one week?

And fans of that star with recording devices, who wants to record that much, especially if your device has only so much recording space left?

I wonder who TCM thinks they are pleasing by so much in such a short span of time.

This comment, of course, applies to any star, not just Garbo. It could be argued that presenting a star's films this way is actually a disservice to that performer, rather than spreading the films out throughout the month.

151009_YMRT_greta-garbo-jack-gilbert.jpg

"Did you hear, John? TCM's showing all my films in one week."

"I love you, Greta, but even I need a break from you once in a while."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

LOL.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I agree that it's too much to have so many of one star's films bombard the viewer in a week. And that's what it feels like too, a bombardment.

Who is going to take the time to watch so much of one star in one week?

And fans of that star with recording devices, who wants to record that much, especially if your device has only so much recording space left?

I wonder who TCM thinks they are pleasing by so much in such a short span of time.

This comment, of course, applies to any star, not just Garbo. It could be argued that presenting a star's films this way is actually a disservice to that performer, rather than spreading the films out throughout the month.

151009_YMRT_greta-garbo-jack-gilbert.jpg

"Did you hear, John? TCM's showing all my films in one week."

"I love you, Greta, but that's too much."

I agree. There are some films of hers I'd like to record to watch again (on in the early morning hours) but I dont have enough space on the DVR. IF they were spread out, I'd have some time to watch and delete them to make more space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Surprised are no threads about our SOTM. Is ANYONE watching??? I recorded her first 2 Hollywood films as I haven't seen them in a long time, but have not watched them yet. I really HATE when a SOTM is squeezed into one week every night. I'm not in the mood to watch the same star all week, no matter how much I may like them (and definitely if I don't!)

Oooook. That explains the GARBO BOMBARDMENT in my TCM HULU feed. 

I also hate when they do this, often in April to accommodate for the film festival, Because even with stars I like – like John Wayne – it can be too much. 

Although....

I enjoyed the hell out of what I was able to see of WILD ORCHIDS before I had to go to work. NILS ASTHER Has a real Julie Andrews in “Victor/Victoria” vibe going on.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I'm not a fan either but I do love John Gilbert so I'm happy about seeing the films they did together.

• Thanks 1

Not only is it "too much too soon" for those who tire of Garbo, but it's a lot of "silents" all at once. I can only take so many silents (or imports) per week.

My teen was my gauge as to longevity/popularity among classic film & it's stars. The teen never "got" Garbo, but was completely entranced by Louise Brooks. Maybe Garbo is for more mature viewers. I always start people off with NINOCHKA, the easiest to watch, imho.

Not much of a Garbo fan either.

My favorite is Garbo Talks, the 1984 film starring Anne Bancroft as a rabid Garbo fan, with Ron Silver, Carrie Fisher, Steven Hill and Catherine Hicks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, Hibi said:

Yes, Wild Orchids is a HOOT!

ROMANCE was also pretty amusing.

Started watching SUSAN LENOX: HER FALL AND RISE and I am LOVING it!

(I'm surprised by how many GARBO films I've yet to see.)

It looks like they skipped Inspiration this time around. And the perennial no show, As You Desire Me.

WOW.  I caught most of Flesh and the Devil last night. Garbo and Gilbert were really on FIRE. Whew!

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, Hibi said:

I've been watching all of them, since Garbo is truly sublime, from her first film in America which they showed, all through her career. Her stillness, like a character in a painting by Vermeer, and lack of overdone effect, as was so common in the silent days and the 1930's, is indubitably remarkable.

I've also been enjoying seeing how each of her male stars reacts to her, from Ricardo Cortez, to Antonio Moreno and Clark Gable and Ramon Navarro, through John Gilbert and all the way up to Melvyn Douglas. 

• Like 1