Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars 2019

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993)

Ooh, that looks like a winner. Never heard of it, but it sure looks like a curio for John Hurt! I've seen a few (too few) of those, but have heard of most of them. I don't even remember him in Midnight Express, but it's been a while since I saw it, and I doubt I was converted to him at the time.

One movie of his I've been interested in seeing, based on a recommendation, is The Naked Civil Servant (1975), which I guess was one of those aforementioned TV roles. I heard good things about his performance, (now that I've researched that curio you listed it makes me wonder if this became a trend-setter for him!)

45 minutes ago, Kay said:

Ooh, that looks like a winner. Never heard of it, but it sure looks like a curio for John Hurt! I've seen a few (too few) of those, but have heard of most of them. I don't even remember him in Midnight Express, but it's been a while since I saw it, and I doubt I was converted to him at the time.

One movie of his I've been interested in seeing, based on a recommendation, is The Naked Civil Servant (1975), which I guess was one of those aforementioned TV roles. I heard good things about his performance, (now that I've researched that curio you listed it makes me wonder if this became a trend-setter for him!)

Hurt received his first Oscar nomination for Midnight Express, playing a sickly, drug-addicted fellow prisoner.

I've never seen The Naked Civil Servant, although I've heard many good things about it. Hurt played Quentin Crisp again in the feature film An Englishman in New York in 2009.

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Hurt received his first Oscar nomination for Midnight Express, playing a sickly, drug-addicted fellow prisoner.

Oh great, now I'll have to watch it again. 😐 I didn't enjoy it very much and didn't make a strong effort to retain it. It was miserable to the point of bemusing.

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

How will you attend the festival and watch the films on the same day ?

Well I do own every film scheduled, I could catch up. The festival is in the afternoon, like 4-8. 

44 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Well I do own every film scheduled, I could catch up. The festival is in the afternoon, like 4-8. 

That's convenient. My uncle also has most Flynn movies in his collection.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, TopBilled said:

The schedule for August 2019 has been posted.

1    henry fonda
2    tcm backlot selection
3    marlon brando
4    shirley temple
5    melvyn douglas
6    lena horne
7    james stewart
8    ava gardner
9    red skelton
10  natalie wood
11  humphrey bogart
12  ann sothern
13  brian donlevy
14  liv ullmann
15  rod steiger
16  irene dunne
17  errol flynn
18  audrey hepburn
19  buster keaton
20  dorothy mcguire
21  tcm backlot selection
22  leila hyams
23  fred astaire
24  shirley maclaine
25  dustin hoffman
26  mary astor
27  walter brennan
28  june allyson
29  paul lukas
30  susan hayward
31  kirk douglas

Nothing too exciting here, but I will look forward to the Days of:   Melvyn Douglas, Lena Horne, Ann Sothern, Brian Donlevy, Errol Flynn, Leila Hyams and Mary Astor.  At least we've dodged the semi-annual SUTS "bullet" of John Wayne, Judy Garland and Katharine Hepburn this time!

Just now, lydecker said:

Nothing too exciting here, but I will look forward to the Days of:   Melvyn Douglas, Lena Horne, Ann Sothern, Brian Donlevy, Errol Flynn, Leila Hyams and Mary Astor.  At least we've dodged the semi-annual SUTS "bullet" of John Wayne, Judy Garland and Katharine Hepburn this time!

Yes, I was expecting to see Kate again. But instead we are getting the other Hepburn (Audrey).

• Haha 1

Summer Under the Stars:  I am all for the character actors that a lot of posts represent.  If I could have my wish I would spend a day and a night with James Gleason.  He is the one of my most enjoyed character actors and I'll watch "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" any day of the week, and as added bonus you'll get Claude Raines and Edward Everett Horton. 

Emily

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Emily Dean said:

Summer Under the Stars:  I am all for the character actors that a lot of posts represent.  If I could have my wish I would spend a day and a night with James Gleason.  He is the one of my most enjoyed character actors and I'll watch "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" any day of the week, and as added bonus you'll get Claude Raines and Edward Everett Horton. 

Emily

You'd probably enjoy the Higgins Family comedies that James Gleason made at Republic with his wife and son.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What Moreno films are they showing?

the toast of new orleans (1950)
singin' in the rain (1952)
latin lovers (1953)
fort vengeance (1953)

seven cities of gold (1955)
the lieutenant wore skirts (1956)
summer and smoke (1961)

popi (1969)
west side story (1961)
the ritz (1976)
marlowe (1969)
carnal knowledge (1971)

Just now, Hibi said:

I'd forgotten she was even in that. Haven't seen it in years.

It's a Paramount classic, from Hal Wallis. Very good. But it's really a showcase for Geraldine Page.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Emily Dean said:

Emily

I totally love James Gleason  --  He should definitely get a SUTS Day!

• Like 1

Hey, everyone, I've been out of town for six days and didn't travel with my lap top, thought I'd see if I could live without it, so I haven't posted during that time. But I did check in on the TCM Message Boards on my phone (which doesn't contain my login information, so all I could do was read other people's posts), and it occurred to me that I had made a list of all the "out of library" films that were airing during SUTS on another thread. I guess there have been two different threads about the exact same topic - TCM September programming - that have never been combined. But as I looked at the Moreno schedule on THIS thread, I started getting an incredibly strong deja vu, and I started thinking was there a Moreno schedule already set up for some other time that got moved to SUTS, because I've definitely seen this schedule before. It took some doing, because the other September/SUTS thread had fallen to Page Four, but when I finally found it, I realized the SCHEDULE HAD ALREADY CHANGED when I made my list of "out of library films" on May 10! I didn't realize it at the time while I was plowing through the lists of films. But if a Natalie Wood schedule was ever posted online, it was already gone, replaced by Rita Moreno by May 10. Thought inquiring minds might want to know.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, TopBilled said:

It seems that Natalie Wood has been dropped on the 10th...replaced by:

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 9.20.52 AM.png

Rita Moreno

I POSE THE QUESTION OF WGHY AND WHITE IS TRHE MEANING   AND CAN YOU BELIEVE RITA IS 88 AND HOLDS GUINNES BOOK OF RECORDS BY WINNING TOP AWARDS IN THE ACADEMY AWARDS, TONYS, GRAMMYS, EMMYS AND HELP ME OUT, YET ANOTHER  TO THIS DAY AS ANGIE STILL AND SAYS SHE WILL ALWAYS BE KIN LOVE WITH FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA, RITA'S THE SAME WITH BRANDO

• Thanks 1
On 6/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, lydecker said:

I totally love James Gleason  --  He should definitely get a SUTS Day!

TO LYDECKER, EVER BEEN TO HIS INFAMOUS GRAVE/NUICHE IN 62 ACRE PARK THAT BIORDERS PARAMOUNT  OW CALLED HOLLYWOOD FOREVER, CEMETARY  HIS NICHE IN IT'S ABBEY OF THE PALMS HAVE BEEN HIGHLY RUMORED TO BE HAUTED EERSKINCE 1966 TO DATE I WANTED TO SEE ALL THE ALLEDGEDLY HOOPLA AND GOT A PIC IN 1999, THEN CAME BACK TIO WHATS LEFT OF TINSEL-TOWN THAT NOV AND IT CAME OUT JUST FINE  SEE ON FIRST VUISIT I MADE A COUPLE NASTY REMARKES APPROACHED HIS NICHE WHICH FOR SME REASLON NEVER WAS CEMEBNTED OVER ALL THE WAY NABY SHOW OB THIS PARK AND LADY TOUR GUIDE SHOW IBN CLANKING AGAINST HIS COFFIN  THIS IS OFTEN AIRED ON TCM AS WELL  MY FIRST PHOTO HOEER HAD SMOG OR SOMETING ALL OVER IT, HAD IT ENLARGED 7 TV'S TAPS IMMEDIATELY WANTED IT ANOTHER STRANGE UITEM, ALSO GIT A PERFECTO SHOT IOF VICTOR FLEMING'S VERY NEARBY AND IT TO WAS SMOGGED UP, NOT ONE OTHER PIC HAD THIS TROUBLE  AS IT TURNED OUT BOTH SHARED SAME HOUSE INB. HILLS, THOUGH AT SEPARATE TIMES  FLENING 7 HIS WIFE KINDA HAD TROUBLES THERE 7 AS FOR HIM HE BLAMES PARANORMAL ACTITIES ON GRACE MOORE INSEAD  AND TYPICALLY OF HOLLYWOOD THEY RAISED THE SEMI SMALL HOUSE