Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's The Funniest Movie You Ever Saw?

Det Jim McLeod

Is there one movie that makes you laugh the most no matter how many times you see it? One you would like to share with others? For me it's easy to choose...

Duck Soup (1933)

The Marx Brothers at their peak. The film is only about 70 minutes long but has non stop jokes and gags and nearly all of them work. Groucho's machine gun delivery is at it's best with rapid fire insults and one liners. Harpo has some of his most hilarious visual gags. Chico's scheming character and fake Italian accent provide many of his best scenes as well. Zeppo doesn't have much to do but it doesn't matter when the other three are at the top of their game. 

There's not much plot but it's not really needed. Groucho becomes ruler of fictional country Freedonia and ends up declaring war on neighboring Sylvania. Louis Calhern is great as Sylvania's exasperated leader who employs Harpo and Chico as spies. It's hard to pick out a favorite scene but two stand out. There is Harpo and Chico's battle with a short tempered lemonade seller (played by Edgar Kennedy) and the hysterical mirror sequence with Groucho and Harpo. 

Well Mister Gantry, I watched The Jerk at a video store and they had it playing on LaserDisc. It was an early version of the technology and the film was processed in CAV, which means 30 minutes per side. CLV could yield 60 minutes per side.

I would have to say RV with Robin Williams. The emergency brake on the RV didn't work, and the results made me laugh out of control.

While I know it changes, I really like your Elmer Gantry LawrenceA. Also like how you use text top and bottom.

My favorite Burt Lancaster is Airport.

A Night at the Opera (1935) was by far the best theatre movie going experience I have had.  College crowd in a packed theatre in the 70's.  Those were the days when you could smoke in the cinema and it wasn't only tobacco! :lol:

• Like 1

The funniest movie, or at least the one where I laughed nonstop, was IL SORPASSO (1962).

screen-shot-2019-04-06-at-9.32.26-am.jpe

It's considered one of the best examples of Italian style comedy.

Everything Vittorio Gassman does in this film is a riot. I think one of the reasons it impresses me is because Gassman is a good looking leading man, he doesn't even seem like a comedian. But he's really great in this movie. The whole thing just moves along brilliantly, and the laughs get bigger. I was literally exhausted from laughing so much, when I finished watching it. I'd never had that experience before, where my rib cage hurt after watching a movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Sorpasso

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From probably two or three dozen good candidates for top honors, I really have to stick with Stanley Kramer's "It's a Mad. Mad, Mad, Mad, World". That film simply creates an alternate universe all its own. The surreality of California at that timeperiod and the things these people did. Crazy cars and bouffon hairdos and martinis and beatniks; the backdrop for an epic comedy plot where Americans are pushed by greed to the brink of sanity. Flying an airplane through a billboard, running each other off the road ...just astounding.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

A Night at the Opera (1935) was by far the best theatre movie going experience I have had.  College crowd in a packed theatre in the 70's.  Those were the days when you could smoke in the cinema and it wasn't only tobacco! :lol:

I know many people prefer this one to mine, and I do like it, I feel there are not as many laughs. 

"Duck Soup" is pure 100% undiluted Marx madness. Whereas "Night At The Opera" has a bit too much music (even the music in DS is funny) and romantic subplot. Harpo is also made into a more child like victim rather than the wild madman of the Paramount films. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:
  1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  2. Raising Arizona
  3. Dr. Strangelove
  4. This is Spinal Tap
  5. Airplane!
  6. Young Frankenstein
  7. The Jerk
  8. Duck Soup
  9. Caddyshack
  10. Life of Brian

I am big fan of Monty Python also. But my favorite of their movies is "The Meaning Of Life". It has many of their most hilarious sketches and well as some great comedy songs. I like "Holy Grail" and "Life Of Brian" but while it has many very funny scenes, there are some draggy moments as well in between the hilarity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Thanks, the montage makes it look like an artistic "Beach Party" movie.

Yes, because of the music and that particular era (early 60s). Gassman's character has a record player in his convertible. So various songs are heard on the soundtrack. It's actually a road movie. 

Early on he picks up another aimless guy and they drive from town to town along the coast, messing with women and getting into road wars with other vehicles. We learn that Gassman is very lonely and has no friends. So this stranger he picks up suddenly becomes a much-needed friend. But Gassman is very impulsive, likes to drive 120 miles an hour, likes to flirt with danger with no regard for consequences. The scenes with him harassing other motorists on the road are hysterical. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I am big fan of Monty Python also. But my favorite of their movies is "The Meaning Of Life". It has many of their most hilarious sketches and well as some great comedy songs. I like "Holy Grail" and "Life Of Brian" but while it has many very funny scenes, there are some draggy moments as well in between the hilarity.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. Meaning of Life is my favorite. "I've decided to sell you all for medical experiments!" :lol: 

• Haha 1

My next ten choices (the numbering system won't allow you to start with any number but 1, so regard these as # 11-20 following my previous post):

1. The Kentucky Fried Movie
  2. A Night at the Opera
  3. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
  4. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
  5. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
  6. Team America: World Police
  7. The Foot Fist Way
  8. Wet Hot American Summer
  9. UHF
  10. The Man with Two Brains
  • Like 1

So, how about Plan 9 from Outer Space, or maybe The Creeping Terror ???

(...I don't know YOU folks, but I can't stop laughing whenever I happen to catch those on my TV set, anyway)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, or Manos: the Hands of Fate or Teenagers From Outer Space.

Another so bad it's good film I love is Violent Sh1t. Just thinking of the name "Karl, the Butcher Sh1tter" makes me laugh. :lol: 

• Like 1

For me, THE COURT JESTER proves to be the most consistently funny film, no matter how many times I watch it.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is also up there with it.

For something more current, I love SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

For me, THE COURT JESTER proves to be the most consistently funny film, no matter how many times I watch it.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is also up there with it.

For something more current, I love SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

The Court Jester always makes me laugh no matter how times I've seen it. Love this film. Bringing Up Baby, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Duck Soup, Night at The Opera, Pat and Mike are the first ones that come to mind. I love What About Bob and Tootsie

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings