Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King Kong Hanging on Broadway

Yeah.  Look at how they do "The Lion King" too.  But, y'know......

HARVEY, (IMHO), is one of the FEW plays (and it worked for the movie as well...) where the requirement that the audience use it's imagination should come into play.  I mean....  I used to(like a lot of other kids) pretend our LEAF RAKE and/or BROOM HANDLE was a horse, but then too, people WEREN'T paying $50+ to SEE me doing that!  ;)

All in all though, that ape prop in those clips does look WAY better than the one in that horrible '76 remake!  :D 

Sepiatone

The effects look extraordinary, but it's a musical, right? The choreography looked very standard and nothing in the music or lyrics in the clip really stood out. I hope it has more going for it than just the set and the ape. Have any posters seen it?

Feh. I see the ads for it all the time on NYC streets. Pathetic. Not only Kong, but "Kiss Me Kate", "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Oklahoma!" are (apparently) all playing on the Great White Way lately. Strictly for tourists.

6 hours ago, jakeem said:

I suppose you didn't hear about "War Horse" during its acclaimed run on Broadway several years ago. It's all about using one's imagination.

Image result for war horse broadway play images

I thought that was something like...

96d51c92553cd10297e459946ec5e0e3.gif

"Top Secret - The Musical" could work. :P

The catastrophic flop of the Spider-Man musical, I thought for sure that was going to kill Broadway. The whole thing is a joke these days. I'm actually glad to see they're doing traditional stuff like 'Oklahoma!' and 'Kiss Me Kate'. But this propensity of Broadway to serve merely as an extension of Disney and Marvel blockbusters is an atrocity.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

The catastrophic flop of the Spider-Man musical, I thought for sure that was going to kill Broadway. The whole thing is a joke these days. I'm actually glad to see they're actually doing decent stuff like 'Oklahoma!' and 'Kiss Me Kate'. But this propensity of Broadway to serve merely as an extension of Disney and Marvel blockbusters is atrocious.

But I can accept Spiderman hanging from his white web (rope) :D

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

But I can accept Spiderman hanging from his white web (rope) :D

I found myself thinking of the Spiderman musical too (or at least why the book-based Lord of the Rings musical played overseas and Canada but will never play Broadway), in that they had a wild staging idea, but needed music to make it an actual musical.

What little we hear of the music here doesn't sound too bad, I'm just thinking this still seems like a studio-pushed musical:  Who's got the merchandising rights for the original 30's Kong at the moment, Warner or Universal?

and after SpiderMan, there was the friggin' Tarzan musical, which I assume had a similar obsession with aerial acrobatics but using vines instead of 'webs'. Its all just lunacy.

6 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'm actually glad to see they're actually doing decent stuff like 'Oklahoma!' and 'Kiss Me Kate'. But this propensity of Broadway to serve merely as an extension of Disney and Marvel blockbusters is atrocious.

Rodgers and Hammerstein are always entertaining. Though one that I would like to see them revive is Weill's Street Scene. Weill and Marc Blitzstein are my favorite from the golden era of Broadway. It's a shame they don't play their works more often.

28 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

and after SpiderMan, there was the friggin' Tarzan musical, which I assume had a similar obsession with aerial acrobatics but using vines instead of 'webs'. Its all just lunacy.

Actually, Disney Broadway originally envisioned the Tarzan musical as a Cirque du Soleil-style aerial show for a round arena, much like the Vegas Cirque shows--It reportedly played in arena theaters overseas, and did better in its original conception.  On Broadway, however, they were stuck with the conventions of square stages, which meant the focus had to be back on the book and musical...Which only brought it up against that Dumbo-remake and Little Mermaid-musical problem of "Why did they even MAKE this??"

• Like 1

It can't be all bad if Glenda Jackson is back on Broadway -- this time headlining a production of "King Lear."

"Glenda Jackson makes ‘Lear’ her own, while Ruth Wilson brilliantly doubles up as Cordelia and the Fool in a production that shows just how timelessly observant Shakespeare was," writes @TimTeeman

https://www.thedailybeast.com/glenda-jackson-in-shakespeares-king-lear-on-broadway-tragedy-and-a-lot-of-trump-era-sighing?via=twitter_page

6-DrQqkn?format=jpg&name=600x314

42 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Who's Phil Hartman?

You may remember him from such nature films as Earwigs: Eww! and Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory.

Troymcclure.png

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, EricJ said:

I found myself thinking of the Spiderman musical too (or at least why the book-based Lord of the Rings musical played overseas and Canada but will never play Broadway), in that they had a wild staging idea, but needed music to make it an actual musical.

What little we hear of the music here doesn't sound too bad, I'm just thinking this still seems like a studio-pushed musical:  Who's got the merchandising rights for the original 30's Kong at the moment, Warner or Universal?

"Lord Of The Rings"?  Heh.....since there doesn't seem to be ANY "sacred cows", how about...

LORD OF THE FLIES( the musical).....

9/11(the musical)....

DON'T CRY FOR ME, ALABAMA( based on the life of former gov. GEORGE WALLACE)...

FULL METAL JACKET( the musical)...  isn't there one already? 

Sepiatone

'Kiss Me, Kate' has a scene in it where the male lead puts his ex-wife over his knee and **spanks** the bejesus out of her. I wonder how that went down with today's tourists on Broadway.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

'Kiss Me, Kate' has a scene in it where the male lead puts his ex-wife over his knee and **spanks** the bejesus out of her. I wonder how that went down with today's tourists on Broadway.

Wake me when the lead in "Othello" isn't wearing blackface.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Wake me when the lead in "Othello" isn't wearing blackface.

(Okay, just because our senior-high English class got to field-trip into the city and watch James Earl Jones and Christopher Plummer on tour in the 80's, and I was still a sophomore, go ahead, rub it in...  😡 )

jones.jpg

Who's Phil Hartman?

Oh, you know Phil--He did the voice of the cat in Kiki's Delivery Service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIAaChVWXc

• Haha 1

d'ye mean ...oh! 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'? oy, so many hipster films ...which turn out to be tee-hee for simpletons.

(for some reason I have the impression that this one's 'bout a traveling dentist in Scotland who rides from town to town on a motorcycle)

anyway naw honestly never heard of this other dude; and what's more (that graphic!) I detest 'Simpsons' and have avoided it as long as its been on.