Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TWO FACED WOMAN

Hibi

Garbo Skis. Leaving aside the fact that his was her last film, I thought it was a somewhat

above average 1940s romantic comedy. Some funny moments but nothing all that special.

Not that's it's all that relevant, but that hairdo she had with the little forelock in the middle

of her forehead wasn't very flattering. Probably not the film you'd want as your last movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think she was well served by her wardrobe (I heard Adrian walked off the film) or her hairstyles. I don't think the film was bad, but nothing really special, in that, anyone could've played the part. I did laugh and enjoyed the Chica-Choca dance routine. Constance Bennett had some catty lines. Hard to believe they couldnt have come up with a better project for Garbo considering this followed Ninotchka......

I assume that the powers that be at MGM wanted to change her image to be more Americanized. They picked a silly but light hearted comedy. With the war going on in Europe and America on the threshold of WWII maybe they wanted viewers to see some escapist entertainment. Heavy handed costume drama which was Garbo's usual trademark just wouldn't work in this particular time. Also, the Latin American craze was going on as evidenced by several films especially from 20th Century Fox. So why not have Garbo take part in it?  We saw her laugh for the first time in Ninotchka so why not see her dance this time? Lastly, with the war in Europe, Garbo's popularity plummeted on the European market so MGM had to make some changes to make her more appealing in America. Her films had always fared better in the European market vs. America. 

Yes, I realize all that, but I dont think they really picked a top notch vehicle for her. In a matter of a few years in the early 40s most all of MGM's top female stars left the studio or retired. Garbo, Crawford, Shearer, MacDonald, Loy etc. Neither Garbo or MGM decided at the time that this would be it. But as the years went on, Garbo was reluctant to stage a comeback (she was quite rich by then). She did come close in the late 40s, but the project fell through due to financing. She felt humiliated and that was it.

I've read that the main reason the film didn't do as well as expected was the release date right before Pearl Harbor....sort of put a damper on folks interest in seeing rich people dance and clown around frivolously.  I thought it was kind of fun.

Yes, that and MGM had to pull the film due to boycott threats from the Legion of Decency. They trimmed some scenes and added one so that it made Douglas look like he knew all along it was his wife and not her twin sister. Despite all this, according to imdb, the film did make a profit.

Hollywood turned out tons of these romantic comedies during the 1940s. Some are very

good and others are just average, but even the average ones are entertaining to some

degree. And some type of mix up in identities was a staple of these kind of movies. It's

always fun to see Ruth Gordon as a middle aged woman instead of as a much more "mature"

one that she is best known for.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings