Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Cartoons on TCM

Has TCM ever shown classic cartoons such as Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies or the MGM cartoons in between movies?  It would make sense if the network had shown any of these cartoons at all since Ted Turner had obtained the rights to the color Looney Tunes (1942-mid-1948), B/W and color Merrie Melodies (1930-mid-1948), and all of the MGM cartoons, especially since these were always shown on Cartoon Network and, I believe, TNT (both Turner-owned networks) for some time.  I also understand that TCM used to have some Saturday morning programming block called "Cartoon Alley" years ago that was hosted by Ben Mankiewicz (when he was first starting out on TCM) and I'm pretty sure many of the cartoons previously mentioned were all shown one time or another.  They used to present at least three of these cartoons based on some kind of category once or even twice a month Saturday mornings.  Since TCM usually shows some kind of short films in between movies, only if there is plenty of time to spare, it would be nice if on some occasions various classic cartoons could be shown, as well.  I know there are cartoons that are now shown on TCM Saturday mornings, but it would be neat if they could show them in between movies.

TCM presently shows cartoons Saturday mornings.  They never were shown other times than the Cartoon Alley series you mentioned, even before a lot of interstitial material was pushed out by ads for the various money-making schemes TCM has going.  The one time TCM showed a lot of the WB toons was for a tribute to Chuck Jones back in 2009, I believe.

Okay, thanks!  I've just been very curious as to whether TCM had ever played classic (Turner-owned) cartoons in between movies like the way they do with short subject films.  I have the Now Playing Guide that mentions the Chuck Jones films that were shown and had completely forgotten about that.  I am aware of the cartoons shown on Saturday mornings and I think it's just great that TCM had been doing this since last March.  I just hope that maybe some day they could expand the Saturday morning programming and show other cartoons like the Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies.  That would be great!

Don't hold your breath on those.  If I'm not mistaken, Disney bought them.  And if there's anything with a tighter death-grip on it's property--um, I can't think of a clever ending.  Anyway, it's pretty tight.

• 1 year later...