Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

What type of viewers does TCM hope to attract with “Querelle” and “Maitresse” type programming...

2 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

…mommy?

Can't programming be diverse?

Are there certain "types" of viewers you think TCM should be courting, instead of other "types"...?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

…mommy?

Your mom's into Querelle and Maitresse? She sounds like a cool lady.

• Haha 1

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

What are these, foreign movies?  Did TCM show them recently?

Yes and yes. 

Wait, you, of all people, had to ask that second question? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

What are these, foreign movies?  Did TCM show them recently?

I am wondering if she objected to one of the films because of its homosexual content. I'd appreciate her coming back on to the thread to elaborate. 

I'm okay with her disliking the films. But is she suggesting that TCM's attracting the wrong kinds of viewers? And if so...wrong, according to whom exactly?

From my understanding, TCM tries to accommodate all walks of life. All persuasions. All tastes in classic film.

Frank Booth? I like Fassbinder, but I don't think Querelle was one of his better efforts.

Maybe RWF ran out of drugs that week.

Schroder and Fassindber are major movie directors, and while I was not wild about either film, neither of them are negligible and I appreciate the chance to see them, especially in the absence of any other ways to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Schroder and Fassindber are major movie directors, and while I was not wild about either film, neither of them are negligible and I appreciate the chance to see them, especially in the absence of any other ways to do it.

But does the original poster have an appreciation for these directors, their films and their audiences? It would not seem so.

The bottom line is that diversity programming and diversity marketing makes more money. Cold, hard, cash on the barrelhead speaks the coldest and the hardest and the cashest and the loudest.

21 hours ago, skimpole said:

True, especially since much of Schroeder's career (right about half of his features) can't be shown on Imports because they are in English (Barfly, the masterful Reversal of Fortune, the absolutely crazy Single White Female, the remake of Kiss of Death, the solid Before and After, Murder by Numbers, Desperate Measures, and Murder by Numbers)

On 4/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, TopBilled said:

I am wondering if she objected to one of the films because of its homosexual content. I'd appreciate her coming back on to the thread to elaborate. 

She probably means as Johnny Carson used to say that the film is for the...

"light in the loafers crowd."

17 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

She probably means as Johnny Carson used to say that the film is for the...

"light in the loafers crowd."

It feels like she has prejudices and that's why she starts these threads. But then she prevents herself from elaborating, because she knows she's wrong or that she'd be strung up if she was explicitly ugly. So everyone else ends up commenting. Then she comes along with another thread and starts over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It feels like she has prejudices and that's why she starts these threads. But then she prevents herself from elaborating, because she knows she's wrong or that she'd be strung up if she was explicitly ugly. So everyone else ends up commenting. Then she comes along with another thread and starts over.

Well she did also make a few threads about African-American films I believe (I don't exactly remember what specifically).

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Well she did also make a few threads about African-American films I believe (I don't exactly remember what specifically).

Wasn't it about something on PBS?

On 4/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, TopBilled said:

I am wondering if she objected to one of the films because of its homosexual content. I'd appreciate her coming back on to the thread to elaborate. .

Well, not seeing them due to neither sounding that interesting to me,  homosexual content wouldn't be a deterrent.  I mean, I'm not gay, but DO enjoy occasional viewings of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, it's American remake THE BIRDCAGE, and THE BOYS IN THE BAND.  And I consider myself the "average" movie and TCM viewer.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, not seeing them due to neither sounding that interesting to me,  homosexual content wouldn't be a deterrent.  I mean, I'm not gay, but DO enjoy occasional viewings of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, it's American remake THE BIRDCAGE, and THE BOYS IN THE BAND.  And I consider myself the "average" movie and TCM viewer.  ;)

Sepiatone

Fair enough. But you are not her. You don't create threads like this. :) 

• Thanks 1

Well, for one thing, QUERELLE is stunning visually! I was lucky enough to see it when it came out.

As is BRAD DAVIS. (who, tragically, died too soon).

And, anything Fassbinder made is worth seeing.

And, as to CAGE AUX FOLLES, the really cool one is CAGE AUX FOLLES 2--!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 8:49 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

The bottom line is that diversity programming and diversity marketing makes more money. Cold, hard, cash on the barrelhead speaks the coldest and the hardest and the cashest and the loudest.

I really wonder if there is data to support the believe that "diversity programming and diversity marketing makes more money'.    

Programming marketed to one 'group' may turn-off other groups thus leading to a net result of less viewers.

Aye. I sure remember Brad Davis. He would have been a major star. Hard working, enthusiastic young actor: 'A Rumor of War', 'Chiefs', 'Midnight Express'.

Diversity = dollars: yes I think the data is starting to bear it out. Of course, this is only 'web evidence' but its mounting up. Once Pew goes after the topic then maybe we'll see.

http://tinyurl.com/y3q3bjyz

http://tinyurl.com/y57hx2vj

http://tinyurl.com/y7qt2so3

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Diversity = dollars: yes I think the data is starting to bear it out. Of course, this is only 'web evidence' but its mounting up. Once Pew goes after the topic then maybe we'll see.

I only opened the link above related to companies;   It mentions companies cutting ties with groups like the NRA and instead openly supporting left-leaning social views.  

That isn't diversity.    Diversity would be working with right-leaning groups and left-leaning ones.    It does make the point that by supporting more popular left-leaning social views these companies make a net gain in market-share  (e.g. they gain more consumers then they lose NRA members).

Well. :) Did you read the whole article? I provided several, in order to show that this new paradigm isn't just 'based on one report'. Meanwhile (back at the ranch) I'm not quite sure how your dictionary-definition diversity pertains, to the earlier point we embarked on: "does diversity marketing equate to more money"? The articles show that it is starting to. What do companies care if they are being equally liked by both sides, they only care whether this new left-leaning strategy is profitable. If it is, they certainly aren't going to care that they haven't kept everyone in the new definition of 'inclusivity'. Just sayin...