Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SummerStars

Movie I can only remember by just one scene

I mentioned something almost a month ago about rare movie and TV appearances by various classic movie stars, and one of them was Cyd Charisse, and that got me thinking about a movie I had last seen years ago with her that I can't remember.  I think she appeared in only one scene in this movie and that's it.  This scene in particular MIGHT have been at the beginning of the film.  I'm also not quite sure if the woman was even Cyd Charisse, but based off memory I kind of get the feeling it was.  All I remember was that this woman had short dark blondish hair, was wearing a red dress, and was dancing and also singing (it seemed as though her voice was dubbed over based off her mouth movements).  I'm also guessing this movie was from the mid 1960s, because it seemed like one based off the style of music during this scene.  This movie could have possibly been one of those contemporary "counter-culture" movies where someone like Cyd herself had really no place in it, except for one small scene where she's required to dance.

I think you're remembering Cyd's striptease that accompanied the opening credits of the 1966 Dean Martin "Matt Helm" movie "The Silencers." She still had it.

• Like 1

YES!  That's the movie!  I think I knew that Cyd appeared some other time midway through that movie, but I didn't realize it was also during the opening credits.  I must have missed it back in September when Dean Martin was SOTM (I'm not a big fan of those "Matt Helm" films myself). 

Gosh, Cyd sure doesn't look THAT much like the same girl we see dancing ballet so gracefully in the 1940s and 1950s MGM musicals - but it's still her!  I do understand that by 1966, she's older by this time (only mid 40s) than she was in those "golden-age" movies, and her hair is a bit lighter and styled differently (she has so many different hairstyles), but just compare her in that opening scene in THE SILENCERS to how she looks about a decade or so preceding that film in MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS or even SILK STOCKINGS - it's almost hard to believe it's the SAME woman.  Nevertheless, she's still VERY, VERY attractive!

See for yourself -

image.png.7fed5ff24d5311b4da6a79813b4479dc.png

Funny thing, I had considered whether there were still any movies I recalled from long ago that I couldn't identify, but I couldn't think of one (after having eliminated several, one after the other, over time). But the specific query of this thread did remind me of something: Does anyone here recall that several years ago, TCM would occasionally run an untitled musical short film between features, one that I haven't seen since? This was in beautiful technicolor from the late forties or early fifties, looking like an MGM production, set in a dark interior well-furnished loft with a nighttime backdrop seen through the patio window, with about six or eight tuxedo-dressed male actors doing a song and dance in tribute to the one (silent) woman they were all serenading. I didn't recognize the actress, but two of the serenading men were only recognizable for their non-musical careers that would follow for decades later: Richard Anderson ("The Six Million Dollar Man") and Steve Forrest ("S.W.A.T."). Does anyone else remember this, and if so, would you know if this thing did have a title, and did you recognize anyone else from it? I'm pretty sure it's not listed on either Anderson or Forrest's imdb credits currently.

On the other hand, if the film really doesn't have a title but instead has a number, since some of the old short films like the Vitaphone Pictorial Revues had numbers in place of titles, perhaps if another TV action star, Patrick McGoohan, were in the short, he might complain "We are not a number. We are a film."

On 4/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, SummerStars said:

Gosh, Cyd sure doesn't look THAT much like the same girl we see dancing ballet so gracefully in the 1940s and 1950s MGM musicals - but it's still her! 

PS:  I saw Tension last night on MOVIES-TV Sunday Night Noir;    If you want to see Cyd in an early non-musical role this one is it.  

I saw that film last night, too (of course after seeing TCM's 25th anniversary).  It wasn't the first time I've seen it, but I only tuned into it just to see Cyd.

I believe Cyd had appeared in other non-musical roles (I can't remember off hand), but it's always kind of neat to see her focus on acting.  In that opening film sequence from 1966, it seems as though this was Cyd's chance to try and take on a new and slightly edgier approach with dancing in a way that seemed fit for the times - not much like anything previously seen in her classic "golden age" era movies.

12 hours ago, SummerStars said:

I believe Cyd had appeared in other non-musical roles (I can't remember off hand), but it's always kind of neat to see her focus on acting.  In that opening film sequence from 1966, it seems as though this was Cyd's chance to try and take on a new and slightly edgier approach with dancing in a way that seemed fit for the times - not much like anything previously seen in her classic "golden age" era movies.

After Tension Cyd was in a few more non-musical roles;  The best of these East Side, West Side, also made in 1949, and is a romantic crime drama with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, James Mason, and Ava Gardner.   Cyd as a good part in this film. 

Cyd did two westerns in 1951 playing an Indian women and a Hispanic one.  While she did do a few other non-musical,  but since The Band Wagon was such a hit she became known for musicals.

Talented lady. 

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

After Tension Cyd was in a few more non-musical roles;  The best of these East Side, West Side, also made in 1949, and is a romantic crime drama with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, James Mason, and Ava Gardner.   Cyd as a good part in this film. 

Cyd did two westerns in 1951 playing an Indian women and a Hispanic one.  While she did do a few other non-musical,  but since The Band Wagon was such a hit she became known for musicals.

Talented lady.  

I believe that one Western you're referring to is THE WILD NORTH with Stewart Granger, which will be on TCM by the end of this month.  Cyd does have very beautiful facial features which have allowed her to play ethnic roles in some movies.  Two other examples that comes to mind are FIESTA and THE KISSING BANDIT, both with Ricardo Montalban, where she plays a Mexican woman.  I have seen that "all-star noir" (as I like to call it), EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE, and I thought that Cyd was good in it, as well.  I would really like to hear Eddie Muller give commentary on THAT film if it were to show up on TCM's Noir Alley someday.  He would have his hands full with all of the big names featured.  With all of this talk about Cyd Charisse in "non-musical" roles, I believe she was in some film from the late 60's called MAROC 7, that I really don't know much about.  I wonder if that was EVER on TCM.  Maybe someday if she were to become Star of the Month.  Without question at all, THE BAND WAGON has got to be her MOST famous picture EVER. 

Incidentally, isn't Cyd's red dress that she wears in the noir scene in THE BAND WAGON, the same one she wears during the opening sequence of THE SILENCERS?  That would be quite funny if it is.  Compare her in those two different scenes and, as I had stated before, she just looks like two separate women.

• Like 1

I just made a VERY interesting observation when watching "Grease".  It seems as though that if this movie were done at least in the early or mid-1960s (only if the stage version had debuted some years prior to this time, but obviously no earlier than the 1950s, of course), Cyd could have VERY EASILY played the role of Cha-Cha. I know that if "Grease" were made sometime in the 1960s, Cyd would be in her 40s, but she would still look younger, and besides, the casting of the Rydell High students weren't accurate since many of them were already in their 20s and for some (like Stockard Channing) were in their 30s.  She would get to show off her dancing skills, plus I think Annette Charles (who plays Cha-Cha) kind of reminds me of Cyd in the opening title sequence of "The Silencers", for some reason. Also, in addition to Eve Arden and Joan Blondell, Cyd would be another "golden-age" movie star to appear in this movie.

Although, I'm not quite sure if Cyd would ever accept the chance to play a tough, gum-chewing, bad-girl type.  Has Cyd EVER played a role ANYWHERE close to this at all on screen, or else on TV?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, SummerStars said:

Although, I'm not quite sure if Cyd would ever accept the chance to play a tough, gum-chewing, bad-girl type.  Has Cyd EVER played a role ANYWHERE close to this at all on screen, or else on TV?

Cyd wasn't the gum-chewing type in Twilight for the Gods (1958) with Rock Hudson, but she had a past as a prostitute and was wanted for murder (which she didn't commit). She ended the movie by serving her time, with the knowledge that Rock would be waiting for her, true to the Production Code.

Also from 1958, Cyd was a hard-boiled showgirl in director Nicholas Ray's Party Girl with Robert Taylor and Lee J. Cobb, in which she was mixed up with mobsters and other underworld types.

Cyd was also in the cast of the uncompleted Something's Got to Give (1962) with Marilyn Monroe and Dean Martin. It was based on My Favorite Wife and Cyd was the "other woman", the one you weren't supposed to root for. She wasn't a bad-girl type, but she was needy and overbearing, a figure of fun you couldn't take seriously and resented for using her wiles on the hero. Those scenes have all been restored and can be found on YouTube and in the documentary Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days (2001).

• Like 1

Cyd wasn't the gum-chewing type in Twilight for the Gods (1958) with Rock Hudson, but she had a past as a prostitute and was wanted for murder (which she didn't commit). She ended the movie by serving her time, with the knowledge that Rock would be waiting for her, true to the Production Code.

It's hard to imagine Cyd playing a "bad girl" type in a movie, since she's SO decent and classy (both in real-life and on screen).  Gosh, typical "good-girl" Jane Powell even had a dark side on-screen in Hedy Lamarr's final film playing her alcoholic daughter (which is on TCM right now).  What I meant by the "gum-chewing type" was the way certain actresses in classic movies intentionally appear during some occasional scenes, sort of like the way Rosalind Russell tends to do very frequently in "The Women", and I'm pretty sure some other.  Or else in "The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown", Jane Russell appears to be chewing gum when she reveals herself as a short-haired brunette (I don't know if she just happened to be doing this on the set during this scene or if this was just intended for her to look sexy). 

The reason why I brought this up was because I COULD HAVE sworn there was a movie (or TV show) that I had seen at one time with Cyd Charisse (from the 1960s?) where in one scene she was playing a rather tough and serious woman who was chewing gum. It was so long ago I can't even remember if it was even her or not. I'm just glad I was right about that being her in "The Silencers", which I was almost 100% sure was her.

I still can't help you with the gum chewing, but Cyd played another character who was what used to be called "licentious" in Vincente Minnelli's Two Weeks in Another Town (1962), about an American movie company filming in Rome. Cyd was the ex-wife of movie star Kirk Douglas, who divorced her after both he and their troubled marriage fell apart. After a stint in a sanitarium, Kirk joined the company in Rome to try for a comeback, but things went south and when he ran across Cyd they got worse. Cyd was being kept as a mistress by some Italian big-wig and coaxed Kirk into a night of debauchery for old times sake, even indicating that the big wig might be interested in Kirk as well. They ended up drunkenly crashing a car, at which point Kirk left her to her own devices and fled back to America. Don't ask me what it all means, but it's another example of bad-girl Cyd.

I agree with you that Cyd was "decent" and "classy", but it does seem as though, either on her own or on the advice of an agent, she wanted to mix it up a little as far as her good girl image went. She always looked like a million bucks, but in some roles she strayed quite a bit from "proper" behavior. I'm not surprised that you seem to recall such a role, maybe on television, since there are other "non-conforming" roles in her filmography. TV famously drew upon classic movie stars like Jane Wyman, Joan Collins and Lana Turner to spice things up, so I can easily see Cyd taking a job offer like that. 

• Like 1

I agree with you that Cyd was "decent" and "classy", but it does seem as though, either on her own or on the advice of an agent, she wanted to mix it up a little as far as her good girl image went. She always looked like a million bucks, but in some roles she strayed quite a bit from "proper" behavior. I'm not surprised that you seem to recall such a role, maybe on television, since there are other "non-conforming" roles in her filmography. TV famously drew upon classic movie stars like Jane Wyman, Joan Collins and Lana Turner to spice things up, so I can easily see Cyd taking a job offer like that. 

I agree with that!  As I had stated before, I wasn't very sure if that was even Cyd in that movie or TV show I had seen years ago.  Could it have been "Maroc 7" (from 1967) that I had seen?  Cyd's in that movie, although I'm not quite sure if it has ever played on TCM.  There was a TV show called "Checkmate" from the early 1960s, and Cyd also appeared in one episode. 

This is her in "Maroc 7" -

Marokko-7%2011.jpg?api=v2

This is her in the TV series "Checkmate"-

Cyd+Charisse-Checkmate.jpg

Whatever I saw on TV that one time, I do vaguely remember the woman looking quite like Cyd in either of these pictures. I didn't see the whole thing, just a few minutes of it. I even forget if the movie or show was in black and white or in color. It looked like it was most likely from the 1960s.  All I know is that the woman looked a lot like Cyd in the face and had a short butch haircut (sort of like in the second picture right above), and was chewing gum as she spoke. Then again, my memory may just be playing tricks on me.  Who knows?  It could've been another actress.  Nevertheless, I'm just really interested in seeing Cyd in any "forgotten" movies or TV shows.

One other thing that came to mind -

There is a good chance that this movie could possibly be shown on TCM, not only if Cyd Charisse were to be Star of the Month, but maybe if they would show movies for a daytime theme based on "numerical" titles, such as "A LETTER TO THREE WIVES", "FOUR’S A CROWD", "OCEAN’S ELEVEN", "BUTTERFIELD 8", etc.  TCM has done this before, I'd say a couple of times I can recall. This would also make a good spotlight, as well.  Then again, when the movie titles reach to the number 7, it's very likely that "SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS" or else "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" would be seen instead of "MAROC 7", only due to the fact that the latter has very likely never been shown on the network before.

• Like 1

Okay, I've been thinking for some time about this movie or TV show from the 1960s that I claim starred Cyd Charisse, but just can't identify it.  I still don't know what movie and/or TV show this was, but I seem to have a feeling that this actress may have been Cyd, or else some other actress.  I'm almost beginning to get a feeling that the actress I had seen was Gloria De Haven.  I may be wrong, but it seems likely.  I've seen her once in an episode of "Burke's Law", and she was wearing her hair in a rather "butch-looking" style.  It's hard to tell her apart in one movie or TV show from the next, because she would have so many different hairstyles (same like what I said about Cyd).  I've seen Gloria with long hair, short hair, other times her hair would be either blonde, light brown, dark drown, or even red.  Would anyone know what movie or TV show of the 1960s this was based off my previous descriptions, and whether or not this actress was Gloria De Haven or else Cyd Charisse?  I would be surprised if it was neither of these two.