Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Messiahs...and others....

Sepiatone

I've seen what could be considered my "fair share" of movies depicting the life of Christ, but I'm sure there's several I haven't caught.  Anyway.....

Let's try to figure out just how many different actors took on the role of The Savior, and too, some who(and surprisingly) had the roles of a few of the other significant characters in the story( I know, they're ALL technically significant, but I hope the gist is gotten).

And not meant to be a critique of any actor's portrayal, just the various actors who took on the part...  I can only think of...

H.B. WARNER, JEFFREY HUNTER, MAX VON SYDOW, ROBERT POWELL, CHRIS SARANDON, WILLEM DAFOE, and JIM CAVIEZEL.  And those are just starring roles, not those who might have done the part and were only partially seen, or so short a time that nobody might have even considered who the actor might have been.  And as a few of those other few "significant" roles.... some I think of are...

ROYAL DANO as Peter--- GARY RAYMOND and JAMES FARENTINO too. And VICTOR ARGO...

Judas:  RIP TORN, DAVID McCALLUM,  IAN McSHANE, HARVEY KEITEL.

Out of time and gotta go, but any other additions and thoughts are welcome.

Sepiatone

Others that have played Jesus -

• Enrique Irazoqui in The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)
  • Jeremy Sisto in Jesus (1999)
  • Christian Bale in Mary, Mother of Jesus (1999)
  • Joaquin Phoenix in Mary Magdalene (2018)
  • Ted Neeley in Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Judas:  RIP TORN, DAVID McCALLUM,  IAN McSHANE, HARVEY KEITEL.

David McCallum as Judas--genuinely heartbroken at having to rat on his friend--is probably the second-best reason for watching The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965).

(Creepy-as-usual Donald Pleasance as the devilish "Dark Hermit" who shows up at Jesus's temptation on the mountain, and then gets the crowd to shout for Barabbas, being the first.)

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

Brain Deacon in "Jesus" (1979)

(Or "The Jesus Film", now that it's changed a few hands in ownership, and now has a new contextual intro added for overseas evangelism.)

Some of the more modern productions by the Visual Bible Society have done a good--and occasionally theatrically-released--text-accurate and historical-context depictions of what must have been Jesus' natural crowd-friendly populist style with the Judean 99%.  And while Henry Cusick is earnest enough in The Gospel According to John (2009)--how many times can you start a sentence with "Listen what I say to you:" and still sound conversational?--Brian Deacon still retires the jersey for doing it for the production company first.

38 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Satan is a transsexual? :blink::lol:

Note to self: Must now fight the urge to say, "Well, that's probably something Mike Pence might think anyway".

(...whew...sure glad I didn't say that out loud...oh wait!)

• Haha 4

Well, y'all(as typical) seemed to stray a bit off the rails after the VICTOR GARBER entry, but thanks to all for the info.  :)

And it looks like I overlooked TED NEELY as Jesus in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. ('73) 

Sepiatone

On 4/16/2019 at 5:23 AM, jakeem said:

I'm still not sure if Sidney Poitier's character in "Brother John" (1971) was a heavenly messenger or the second coming of Christ. But he shook up a small Alabama town in a big way.

capture42.jpg

Conrad Veidt in The Passing of the Third Floor Back (1935).

strangecargo1.jpg

Ian Hunter (with Joan Crawford and Clark Gable) in Strange Cargo (1940).

Thanks.  I did, regardless( won't get into it).  But something's bugging me.

We all saw(many times I'll bet) DONALD PLEASENCE  play the manifestation of Satan in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, but in another movie based on the Gospel, he showed up as one of the Magi.  I can't remember WHICH movie, and now it's driving me nuts(a short trip, I assure you  ;)  ).  So.... (and because of the one, I found the other amusing).

Have any idea?  

And thanks for all the other info.  :)

Sepiatone

STOP!  GOT IT  

Mentioning in the Peter Ustinov thread about him making a good Herod, it dawned on me( major "D'OH!" moment) it was in that same movie, TV "epic" JESUS OF NAZARETH in which that was.  And BTW, that film adaptation of the Gospel is a lot of my circle's favorite because in it, actor ROBERT POWELL bears a strong resemblance to a guy in that circle( right down to the hair!)  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings