Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sukhov

Fire at Notre Dame in Paris

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.

The cause is not yet clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.

A major operation to tackle the blaze is under way at the 850-year-old Gothic building, but the cathedral's spire has collapsed.

Last year, the Catholic Church in France appealed for funds to save the building, which was crumbling.

A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning".

"There will be nothing left", he said.

The blaze broke out on Monday afternoon and an area surrounding the building has been cleared.

French President Emmanuel Macron is on his way to the scene and cancelled his planned speech to the nation following the fire, an Élysée Palace official said.

The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, who is already at the scene described it as a "terrible fire" and urged people to respect the boundaries set up by fire crews in order to ensure that they remain safe.

US President Donald Trump suggested "perhaps flying water tankers" could be used to extinguish the fire.

The Notre-Dame cathedral, which is visited by millions of people every year, is undergoing renovations after cracks began to appear in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

radical jihadists I bet. they're never satisfied. I've been watching cnn but switched over to fox for a moment. Vatican spokesman said that all of the cathedral's wooden interior is on fire and it will likely all be destroyed.

• Sad 2

HORRIBLE, just HORRIBLE. I feel sick. :( I hope it's not terrorism. I see DUMP had to insert himself into the crisis by making an asinine comment. It's always about HIM!

• Sad 3

Despite being an anti-religion atheist, I too am saddened by this. I never want to see great works of architecture, or anything of historical significance, destroyed. If it ends up being totally destroyed, it will be a massive loss to human history and culture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

radical jihadists I bet. they're never satisfied. I've been watching cnn but switched over to fox for a moment. Vatican spokesman said that all of the cathedral's wooden interior is on fire and it will likely all be destroyed.

A few minutes ago, CNN said it was most likely one of the workers who accidentally set it on fire. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

A few minutes ago, CNN said it was most likely one of the workers who accidentally set it on fire. 

i hope it wasn't Quasimodo.

• Haha 3

NBC NewsVerified account @NBCNews 1h1 hour ago

Former President Obama:

"Notre Dame is one of the world’s great treasures, and we’re thinking of the people of France in your time of grief.

It’s in our nature to mourn when we see history lost – but it’s also in our nature to rebuild for tomorrow, as strong as we can."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this has nothing to do with Cinema, but I had to post that the Iconic 800 year OLD NOTRE DAME OF PARIS IS IN FLAMES today.  I majored in art history with a great love for classic architecture. I absolutely loved GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE. It is the most majestic; and still magistic after 800 years. I just heard that the fire fighters, who are about 600 persons strong saved the main structure.  We do not know how much the interior damage is.  There were priceless historical statuary and art work that are in jeopardy.I was so deeply saddened by this news and wall to wall tv coverage that I didn't post until I heard some positive news.  This cathedral withstood the damage from two world wars.  Therefore, it will stand again.

Love to Paris . AC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I'm absolutely heartbroken about this. I got to visit Notre Dame a few years ago and it was breathtaking! I actually ended up making a video about it because I was so in awe and couldn't pass up a chance to learn more about the structure and the old movie. My greatest regret today is that I didn't take the time to wait in line and go inside. I can't believe we lost 900+ years of history in one afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm glad you posted about it, as I was pondering but kept deleting what I started to write. It is really heartbreaking. It did occur to me that TCM's schedule yesterday included a wonderful movie I was previously unaware of wherein Maureen O'Hara worked with Lucille Ball, and I was thinking that Maureen's first movie was the '39 "Hunchback of Notre Dame," and then the news today.

• Like 1

I commented in the General Discussions page as well, but just can't get over what's happening. I got to see Notre Dame a few years ago when I was in Paris and it was breathtaking. I ended up making a video about it - my greatest regret today is that I didn't take the time to wait in line and go inside. My heart is in pieces knowing we lost 900+ years of history in one afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I agree, there was a lot of construction going on, and I believe most people think it was an accident. Imagine being the person responsible for this - I'm not sure that's something you could ever get over...

• Like 1

I actually felt a little weepy myself for the loss of such an iconic structure.

built by hand in the 12th century.

"beauty...survives." -kirk

Image result for kirk that which survives

• Like 1

The French President Macron stated that the Cathedral will be restored and rebuilt.  It is still a tragedy.  Perhaps, the architects can add a copper roof as they did at Chartres  Gothic Cathedral.  France has the greatest concentration of Gothic Churches as well as  government and military buildings.  I hope some of the Billionaires would contribute to its rebuilding as Rockafeller's did after the Nazi's damaged the Cathedral during WW!!.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

aw sheet, the flying buttresses got it.

:(

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, antoniacarlotta said:

I agree, there was a lot of construction going on, and I believe most people think it was an accident. Imagine being the person responsible for this - I'm not sure that's something you could ever get over...

find out who it is and have Quasimodo chuck him over the side.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Inside #NotreDame. Only a small part of the vault collapsed. Interior seems relatively untouched. Alleluia!

D4OjTUoWsAI5e_d.jpg

Seeing the interior of Notre Dame is a great relief. It looks quite recognizable with no extreme damage.

The Treasures of the Tower  for the most part were rescued including the Relic of the crown of thorns and Saint Louis' clothing artifact.

An evaluation of the structural damage remains to be seen.

During a live speech this evening on French TV, President Macron pledged to rebuild the cathedral. He also stated the importance of the cathedral to the people of France, to Paris, to French culture and patrimony and to Catholics worldwide.

The Notre Dame fire prompted Macron to cancel this evening a scheduled televised address to the French people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1