Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sukhov

Fire at Notre Dame in Paris

Recommended Posts

Seeing that marvel up close and personal has been on my "bucket list" for so long I was actually sick to my stomach a bit when hearing the news and seeing the gut-wrenching footage.  

Like Lawrence up there(just a bit) I'm more or less an atheist of sorts( more agnostic really), but too, an admirer of old and ancient architecture.  And I do truly feel for those who long relied on the place as a sanctuary for their spiritual comfort. 

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

france-notredame.jpg

And the crucifix still shines amidst the smoke and rubble.

Amazing, isn't it, how much the fire that destroyed a good part of Notre Dame Cathedral has galvanized the attention of much of the rest of the world. The French themselves are surprised that "outsiders" care so much about their "lady." The religious significance to Catholics around the planet plays a large role in that, of course, but what about someone like myself, to whom the religious significance means little? I cringed when I saw those live television images of the cathedral burning due to the historical significance of this remarkable edifice which has survived the French Revolution and two world wars and, of course, has remained, after over eight centuries (EIGHT CENTURIES!!!), a marvel of Gothic architecture.

We can celebrate the fact that the towers survived and, indeed, the stone foundations of the building appear to be in stable condition. France will rebuild this iconic architectural wonder and they will be united in this project at a time of great political turmoil. It's ironic that, sadly, it took the sudden unexpected near destruction of one of France's most cherished national emblems to bring the nation together.

Tragedies can do that.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important thing now is to protect the structure from the elements. I wonder how they are going to do that. A temporary covering of some sort? I'm amazed they were able to save it. Someone said on the news another half hour and the building would have been destroyed.

They wont be able to replace all that wood. After this, something else will have to be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The most important thing now is to protect the structure from the elements. I wonder how they are going to do that. A temporary covering of some sort? I'm amazed they were able to save it. Someone said on the news another half hour and the building would have been destroyed.

They wont be able to replace all that would. After this, something else will have to be used.

When I think of Notre Dame, I think of all the candles that I've lit there and I think of all the beautiful candle light that I've seen there Soaring Over the statues of the Saints.

It's hard to believe that fire could ever be such an enemy to that building when it's brought so many people so much peace there.

As many times as I've been there, surrounded by hundreds of tourists quietly and respectfully making their way through, you still never lose the feeling that you're in a holy place and not just another tourist monument.

The only Chapel I can recall that's dedicated to an American presence is the one for Our Lady of Guadalupe. I wonder how it fared?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

François-Henri Pinault, Family Pledge $113 Million To Rebuild Notre Dame

“I love you, Paris,” Pinault’s wife, actress Salma Hayek, wrote on Instagram.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/francois-henri-pinault-notre-dame_n_5cb560cbe4b0ffefe3b5d1bd?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

8sQuuuZS?format=jpg&name=600x314

Formidable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there be a GoFundMe type campaign? I wouldn't mind contributing a small amount. I'm sure many would. I can't imagine the cost of restoring that roof, but every little bit helps....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not posted on the web at present but a building in Huntington West Virginia is lighted up in the French (flag) colors to honor Notre Dame.  Source WSAZ news.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

france-notredame.jpg

And the crucifix still shines amidst the smoke and rubble.

Amazing, isn't it, how much the fire that destroyed a good part of Notre Dame Cathedral has galvanized the attention of much of the rest of the world. The French themselves are surprised that "outsiders" care so much about their "lady." The religious significance to Catholics around the planet plays a large role in that, of course, but what about someone like myself, to whom the religious significance means little? I cringed when I saw those live television images of the cathedral burning due to the historical significance of this remarkable edifice which has survived the French Revolution and two world wars and, of course, has remained, after over eight centuries (EIGHT CENTURIES!!!), a marvel of Gothic architecture.

We can celebrate the fact that the towers survived and, indeed, the stone foundations of the building appear to be in stable condition. France will rebuild this iconic architectural wonder and they will be united in this project at a time of great political turmoil. It's ironic that, sadly, it took the sudden unexpected near destruction of one of France's most cherished national emblems to bring the nation together.

Tragedies can do that.

 

47 minutes ago, jakeem said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if anything remains of the separate sets that Universal built for the 1923 Lon Chaney "Hunchback" version in Universal City and RKO built for the 1939 Charles Laughton version. Universal spent six months starting in 1922 recreating its version of the cathedral and surrounding Parisian streets to the exact specifications historically recorded for 1482 when that version was set, including the "Gallery of Kings" including 35 ten-feet-high statues matching the likenesses of the originals (out of 56 such statues in the genuine article), but the spire and roof as well as the top portion of the cathedral were a miniature floating matte suspended exactly in place near the camera to just appear like it was a continuation of the lower portion of the incomplete cathedral structure, the art directors being Elmer "E.E." Sheeley and Sidney Ullman and set decorator Hans Dreier, who was uncredited onscreen. For the Laughton version, RKO on its Encino Movie Ranch in San Fernando Valley hired art director Van Nest Polglase (who oversaw the work actually performed by unit art director Carroll Clark and others) and set decorator Darrell Silvera to construct a large-scale medieval Paris including the full Notre Dame Cathedral that was among the largest and most elaborate sets ever built for a film up to that time, ultimately spending a quarter of a million dollars, that version seemingly set closer to the end of the 15th century since the script mentions Columbus's journey from 1492.

Wouldn't it be at least something positive if the studios could look into if anything from those recreations still exist to offer France on behalf of the thoughts and prayers of all of us, since those films although filmed on the other hemisphere are indeed a significant part of our shared history and memory of the actual Notre Dame Cathedral, both in regard to its real history and the fictional one? I wonder if the studios could assemble whatever could be used in the actual reconstruction, even if in sections that may have been sold off if not destroyed, so that it isn't just new construction replacing the old on what must be done now, but that these sets built with such heart and care by such master craftsmen so long ago (although not nearly so far back as the original) could earn a place in the actual cathedral wherever they could serve some purpose of helping the site retain its true sense of history. Isn't part of its soul contained in those versions of the site so lovingly recreated that we all grew up knowing? I wonder if anyone here would like to get behind this idea (which could of course be for naught if nothing remains of those sets), but my idea is: should the studios track down whatever happened to it all, and start a campaign to offer France whatever sections could be helpful in Notre Dame's rising again (something that will inevitably occur no matter what)? But as a sort of France giving America the Statue of Liberty in reverse, wouldn't it be a real nice gesture for such an attempt to be made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there once. It was exciting.

I, too,was shaken by the sight of the tower falling. Anything like this is always a tragedy.  Thank God it wasn't worse and no one died.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Megan RomerVerified account @meganromer 19h19 hours ago

 
 

My heart is broken over the loss of Notre Dame.

 

The Catholic Church is also one of the world’s wealthiest entities.

If you are going to donate money to rebuild a church this week,

I implore you to make it the black churches in St. Landry Parish.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/church-fires-st-landry-parishmacedonia-ministry?member=&utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2Binvitesupporters

:unsure:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US-FRANCE-EMPIRE STATE-NOTRE DAME

The Empire State Building is lit up blue, white, and red in solidarity with the people of France following the fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral on April 16, 2019 in New York City.

the-empire-state-building-is-lit-up-blue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

US-FRANCE-EMPIRE STATE-NOTRE DAME

The Empire State Building is lit up blue, white, and red in solidarity with the people of France following the fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral on April 16, 2019 in New York City.

the-empire-state-building-is-lit-up-blue

Bleu, Blanc, Rouge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hibi said:

The most important thing now is to protect the structure from the elements. I wonder how they are going to do that. A temporary covering of some sort? I'm amazed they were able to save it. Someone said on the news another half hour and the building would have been destroyed.

They wont be able to replace all that wood. After this, something else will have to be used.

#1---that's a LOT of tarp!

#2--- I heard the "issue" was that there are no longer trees in France big enough to provide the wood needed for a lot of the reconstruction.  I really don't see why importing the needed wood of required size can't be an option.

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why use wood at all? It looked like the space between the ornate ceilings inside the church and the actual roof was essentially something like an attic see below. 

notre-dame-cathedral-3d-1555480837243-articleLarge-v3.jpg

Use steel to support a new copper roof. Nobody visits the attic, and it would be a safer solution, no?

Why reuse flammable wood again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Why use wood at all? It looked like the space between the ornate ceilings inside the church and the actual roof was essentially something like an attic see below. 

notre-dame-cathedral-3d-1555480837243-articleLarge-v3.jpg

Use steel to support a new copper roof. Nobody visits the attic, and it would be a safer solution, no?

Would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

#1---that's a LOT of tarp!

#2--- I heard the "issue" was that there are no longer trees in France big enough to provide the wood needed for a lot of the reconstruction.  I really don't see why importing the needed wood of required size can't be an option.

Sepiatone

I was thinking something immediate temporary (now). Then long term temporary (while they are working on it). Unsure what they are going to do. Cant leave it like that for too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thing seems very suspicious. First they get an alarm and wait twenty minutes to respond, then they declare there was no arson BEFORE ever stepping foot in the building to investigate. it almost sounds like Chicago.

Without ever having stepped foot in the building, they declare they can rebuild within 5 years. And no workers were around to stop the start of this fire. Now they have almost a billion in donations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two alarms, the first fire alarm went off at 6:20 p.m., 25 minutes before the heavy wooden doors were scheduled to close to visitors for the day.

Worshipers, sightseers and staff were ushered out, and someone went up to check the most vulnerable part of the medieval structure — the attic, a lattice of ancient wooden beams known as “the forest” — but no fire was found, Rémy Heitz, the Paris prosecutor, said on Tuesday.

At 6:43 p.m., another alarm rang. It was just 23 minutes later, but when they returned to the attic, it was clear they had a major problem: It was on fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

This whole thing seems very suspicious. First they get an alarm and wait twenty minutes to respond, then they declare there was no arson BEFORE ever stepping foot in the building to investigate. it almost sounds like Chicago.

Without ever having stepped foot in the building, they declare they can rebuild within 5 years. And no workers were around to stop the start of this fire. Now they have almost a billion in donations.

 

Murphy's Law, whatever can go wrong will. Can be something simple as a short circuit.  Speculation serves no purpose.  Macron's opinion of having this repaired in 5 years may be unrealistic (doesn't hurt to be optimistic).  Expected to cost billions and can take decades.

There are those whom needs their 15 minutes to conceive conspiracy theories or spout gossip / rumors.  

If restoration can be done in 5 years....THAT will be a miracle 

 

About building materials, metal will be logical but purist wants the original design.

One quoted...Attic was known as a forest and it burned like one.

Like an old house, just as vulnerable.

AFP_1FO2IN.jpg

 

 

No different from old mansions.

article-2166825-13DC74D5000005DC-257_634

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notre Dame fire was 2nd to hit an iconic French Catholic church in a month

The world watched in horror as Paris’ historic Notre Dame Cathedral erupted in flames Monday. It was the second fire to hit a historic French Catholic church in under a month.

While Notre Dame is undoubtedly the most well-known landmark to be affected, Paris’ second largest church, Saint-Sulpice, briefly burst into flames on March 17. The fire damaged the church’s doors and stained glass windows on the building’s exterior, but firefighters managed to bring it under control before anybody was hurt.

The fire that hit Saint-Sulpice reportedly started in a pile of clothes left outside the cathedral, before climbing up the door and to the stained glass. The clothes are believed to have been left there by a homeless person. Police said the fire was “not accidental,” but the pastor of Saint-Sulpice argued it was not an anti-religious attack.

Unlike in the Notre Dame fire, the damage to Saint-Sulpice was relatively minor. The church, founded in the 17th century, houses three paintings by 19th century Romantic artist Eugene Delacroix, none of which were damaged.

*******************************************

So this other fire was not accidental, but they somehow know the motives of the mysterious person who set it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course what is going around now is talk about rebuilding Notre Dame:   I have another idea;  make it into a museum;   restore just enough to make it safe,   put in exhibits that feature photos of how it looked,  its history etc....,   but leave as much of the damage 'as is' (as long as it is safe to do so).

This approach would provide a renewed appreciation of all the great collaborative works that remain.   This approach would continue to provide mankind with appreciation of how fragile these works are as well as what this work meant to the people of France (and elsewhere),  before the tragedy.  

I've been to Rome a lot and I tend to appreciation the very old 'beat up' monuments more than the restored ones as long as those 'beat up' ones have maintained enough of their structure,,, and Notre Dame has.


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...