Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Staying here?

Walter L.

I signed up for this site very late last month. That means, not only did I register for these boards, I signed up for a Backlot membership. I was willing to pay a month's worth for it, but it turned out you could sign up for a free tryout month 

I have never been able to find out if any San Francisco Bay Area chapter of a physical, putting on get-togethers,  Backlot group exists. As you can see above, my inquiry responding to someone else's old post about trying to put together one has gotten no replies. I would tend to assume, now, that there is no Bay Backlot group - and I am not in the position of being able to organize one, I'm sorry. If one exists, I could show up for it and that might be worth a monthly charge, but even if access to this board is only for monthly dues-payers, it's not worth that - And I do tend to assume that this forum would be free, any how, please tell me if that is not so.

I eventually got my T-shirt (tho IIRC a size smaller then ordered tho wearable)...I did sign up under the " free month " deal offered by TCM (AT&T) so...I don't wish my debit account to be dinged for a membership with no benefits. So, barring either telling me of a physical Backlot chapter near me, I have no reason to pay monthly, even if that disqualifies me from this forum after this month runs out (And, I do tend to doubt that it would). Who should I contact if this needs to be resolved? Please, somebody, answer me.

2 hours ago, Walter L. said:

I have no reason to pay monthly, even if that disqualifies me from this forum after this month runs out (And, I do tend to doubt that it would). Who should I contact if this needs to be resolved? Please, somebody, answer me.

I can't really tell if you know this from your post, but you can participate in these forums for free. It is not a benefit of being a Backlot member.

My service is Wide Open West(WOW) and so far, I'm not charged extra for anything I get in my particular tier. But then, I don't get all tha various HBO's, Showtimes and whatevers, and that's by choice.  Back in the early days of cable('round here) a buddy helped set me up with a way to BOOTLEG them, with a short length of speaker wire and a rheostat from Radio Shack( I had MILES of speaker wire already, and the rheostat was $1.59 ). The NOVELTY of cable, and uncut, uncensored movies was the draw, but a few years of most of the same movies on all those "premium" channels and all shown 12+ times a week on ALL of 'em quickly took the luster off it all. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually, it's the other way around...this TCM site pays me to post here.  

Aaaah, so you TOO, eh MissW?!

AND, according to the latest scuttlebutt, the very reason DownGoesFrazier no longer posts around here anymore.

All his TCM paychecks from his voluminous postings over the years, afforded him the opportunity to retire and move to Costa Rica, and where he's now happily sipping on Pina Coladas while pedaling away in his spin classes down there.

(...well, I like to think that's what happened to the guy anyway) ;)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Aaaah, so you TOO, eh MissW?!

AND, according to the latest scuttlebutt, the very reason DownGoesFrazier no longer posts around here anymore.

All his TCM paychecks from his voluminous postings over the years, afforded him the opportunity to retire and move to Costa Rica, and where he's now happily sipping on Pina Coladas while pedaling away in his spin classes down there.

(...well, I like to think that's what happened to the guy anyway) ;)

I like to think so too, Dargs.

Which reminds me, I keep meaning to post on that "Dedications" thread, maybe we here at the TCM boards should dedicate a movie to finance /aka DownGoesFrazier: it would have to be The Apartment, I believe he said that was his favourite movie.

Also, for "Lorrie", who sadly passed away several years ago but who used to post here about John Garfield: I'd dedicate a movie to her, of course a John Garfield one.Maybe Force of Evil, or The Breaking Point.

And of course, a dedication for our old friend Fred C. Dobbs, who also died a few years ago. He was a frequent poster here. His dedication movie would have to be The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

• Like 3

...The post that Sage linked to is a different post from the one that is on the top of the Chapters line. I posted on the line you linked to, but it did not bump the line up anywhere I saw. Thank you, and thank you, Calvin, for the info on not needing to pay to be here. I assumed that was the case, but I phrased the question carefully. In my experience TCM has always been only on a higher, more expensive, cable tier:-(.

...I lost a draft:-(. I went to the site for a San Francisco Backlot chapter that she mentioned in her post and it was gone, there was just an offering for sale of the domain. I presume she gave it up. I assume, then, that she either does not want new members or never started an SF Bay chapter. So...is there any point to me continuing my member ship, if there is no chapter here? 

And if I don't want to continue, do I have to do something to stop them from charging my card?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings