Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Theme Songs That Fit A Movie or TV Show Perfectly

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I know it's popular to dislike the work of John Williams now...

It is? Well then mark me in the unpopular category because Williams is brilliant. 

And to prove that I’m a complete boor, I’ll throw out another theme song that I believe fit the movie perfectly, East Bound and Down is a great driving song by Jerry Reed and worked great for Smokey and the Bandit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I love the theme song to The Big Country and I may be in the minority but I love the film. The opening theme song is fantastic  and fits the rousing, fast moving stagecoach during the opening credits. 

it is a fantastic theme song, one of my favorites, and I love the movie, too.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

it is a fantastic theme song, one of my favorites, and I love the movie, too.

This, and Elmer Bernstein's theme for The Magnificent Seven are to me THE two best theme scores for any westerns ever.

And speaking of Jerome Moross' The Big Country...A few months back I wanted to listen to it again, and so while searching for it on YouTube, I found this live rendition performed in 2013 by the Inner City Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles, and which I thought these kids did a GREAT job with...

• Like 3

I certainly agree with those who are admirers of Jerome Moross's great musical score for The Big Country.

But here's another Moross score for a western done at the same time that I also think is highly effective, even if it falls short of the classic status of the other score. It's a neglected score, just as it is also a neglected movie, THE PROUD REBEL:

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous orchestration for another marvelous musical score few know: Riz Ortolani's music for The 7th Dawn. This is a gem, and enjoy the beautiful photography, too, shown in the film's title design:

• Thanks 1

Alex North's score for SPARTACUS has to be ranked as a classic. In combination with Saul Bass's title design, it creates a memorable effect under the film's opening titles. Is there anyone who doesn't feel a chill run up the back as North's music eerily underscores the fall of the Roman Empire as symbolized by the face of the Roman statue that starts to break apart before your eyes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always loved the music of the prolific Mike Post, who composed or co-created the theme songs for "The Rockford Files," "Hill Street Blues," "Magnum, P.I.," "L.A. Law" and "The Greatest American Hero." Many of them reached the Top 40 on Billboard's pop chart (Joey Scarbury's hit "Believe It Or Not" from "The Greatest American Hero" was No. 2 in 1981). 

But I really like the theme from "The A-Team," which aired on NBC from 1982 to 1987. The opening credits tell you just about everything you need to know about the series. And I love the shot of Dirk Benedict and a Cylon.

17 hours ago, jakeem said:

As for motion pictures, it's awfully hard to top Oscar-winner Giorgio Moroder's end theme for the 1978 drama "Midnight Express." The film starred the late Brad Davis as the real-life American smuggler Billy Hayes, who escaped from a harsh Turkish prison in 1975.

Thanks for the clip--On the soundtrack albums, Moroder would always play the themes on his own studio keyboard, and for years, we were stuck with a gratingly tinny solo keyboard arrangement, instead of the dark full-orchestra that captured the tone perfectly.

I'm also partial to the work of Ennio Morricone

• The Untouchables (1987)

As one critic pointed out, when Kevin Costner and Sean Connery raid the post office, it's just a minor bust, but Morricone's theme makes you think Henry V had just won the Battle of Agincourt.  

As for TV, even though it was supposed to be a late-60's/early-70's high school, whose hopeful first week on freshman college campus DIDN'T have Jerry Goldsmith's Room 222 playing in their head while walking across the quad with their map?

:rolleyes:

See what happens when y'all forget to take your RITALIN?  ;)

Y'all take an interesting thread like, "Theme songs that fit a movie, (etc.) and turn it into "My favorite TV and movie  themes".  :huh:

One I thought "fits" it's film's premise fairly well is THIS John Williams effort 

From the movie THE COWBOYS('72)   Nice blend of Elmer Bernstein, Aaron Copeland, and some ideas of his own!

As for TV?  There are a lot of them.  But a nice one that kinda summed it up was...

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Victor Young's lovely, lyrical score for SHANE brings images for me of wide open vistas and rugged mountain peaks in the distance. The sensitivity found in this western is magnificently reflected by Young's strings accompaniment.

• Like 1

One of the great musical scores for any costume film, alternately bombastic, romantic and poignant. Max Steiner really was a genius for the mood of a scene. ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN:

• Like 3

Now, I ask you. How can you beat lyrics like:

"Where Indian fights are colorful sights and nobody takes a lickin'.

Where Paleface and Redskin both turn chicken."

F_Troop_opening.jpg

(...you CAN'T, can ya!) ;)

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Now, I ask you. How can you beat lyrics like:

"Where Indian fights are colorful sights and nobody takes a lickin'.

Where Paleface and Redskin both turn chicken."

F_Troop_opening.jpg

(...you CAN'T, can ya!) ;)

Do you have those lyrics memorized, Dargo?

No matter what I try to do about it, I sometimes have the lyrics to Green Acres running though my mind. I should have spent more of my youth hanging out in pool halls.

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Do you have those lyrics memorized, Dargo?

No matter what I try to do about it, I sometimes have the lyrics to Green Acres running though my mind. I should have spent more of my youth hanging out in pool halls.

HA! The Green Acres theme and the Rawhide theme run thru my mind too! The Green Acres opening is a hoot anyway, Lisa on her penthouse balconey and Eddie with his pitch fork with that theme song :D