Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1946

The first postwar year opened with Vincent Price and Lynn Bari as a dangerous duo in Shock.

220px-Shock_movie_poster.jpg

Behind Green Lights planted Carole Landis in the world of noir.

220px-Behind_Green_Lights_FilmPoster.jpe

Claudia and David returned Dorothy McGuire to the role that began her film career. Robert Young was her husband, and Mary Astor was also involved.

MV5BZGY4ZDI1ZWMtZmVkNi00NzI3LWI2OTMtYmE2

A Yank in London was a romance straight from England itself complete with a nice cast.

220px-I_Live_in_Grosvenor_Square_FilmPos

Maureen O'Hara played a dying woman who adopted a child for her husband John Payne in Sentimental Journey, a much loved weepie.

220px-Film_Poster_for_Sentimental_Journe

Johnny Comes Flying Home was a little film involving a post-war aviation company.

JOHNYCOMES.jpg

The Dark Corner was Lucille Ball's first stab at noir, and she was much admired for it.

220px-Dark_Corner_1946.JPG

Vincent Price played a villain out to kill wife Gene Tierney in Dragonwyck, a brooding drama that also featured Walter Huston, Anne Revere, Spring Byington, and Jessica Tandy

220px-Dragonwyck_film_poster.jpeg

William Gargan investigated a post-war conspiracy in Rendezvous 24

220px-Rendezvous_24_poster.png

Do You Love Me was a light musical with Maureen O'Hara.

Do_You_Love_Me_(film_poster).jpg

Strange Triangle was a B noir.

220px-Strange_triangle_1946_poster.jpg

The only downside of Cluny Brown was that it was Lubitsch's final film in full. Otherwise, the tale was supurb with a wonderful cast and a fine, literate, playful script. A total delight.

MV5BN2FiOTc5ZjMtZTZmYy00YmU1LTgwZTAtMDgy

John Hodiak had amnesia in Somewhere in the Night.

220px-Somewhere_in_the_Night_-1946-Poste

Anna and the King of Siam was the first time that the beloved story hit the screen. Fox would remake it twice, once as a famous musical, once as a straight-up drama without songs. But this Irene Dunne/Rex Harrison version got there first. Gale Sondergaard was Oscar nominated.

220px-Anna_and_the_king_of_siam75.jpg

Fred MacMurray and Anne Baxter starred in the western Smoky.

MV5BNTc4MzM4NDQtY2NjOC00MmNkLTlhN2QtY2Yx

Centennial Summer was a popular nostalgic musical, perhaps a response to the success of State Fair and Meet Me in St. Louis.

220px-Centennial_Summer_FilmPoster.jpeg

Carole Landis and Allyn Joslyn starred in It Shouldn't Happen to a Dog, and the dog made the poster as well.

MV5BMzNhNzFjMjktOWE2Mi00NTE5LTlkMmYtOTQz

Paul Kelly had to race against time in Deadline for Murder.

220px-Deadline_for_Murder_poster.jpg

Horseplay hit the screen again in Black Beauty.

220px-Black_Beauty_FilmPoster.jpeg

Vivien Blaine, Perry Como, and Carmen Miranda were all featured in the musical If I'm Lucky.

MV5BOTUxZTI3YTYtMWMzYy00ZWRhLWEwNjktNjg3

Vivien was back with Vera-Ellen and June Haver on the make for husbands in Three Little Girls in Blue.

MV5BMDVhZWM0YjAtNThjYS00YzM0LWE2YTYtMTg5

Home Sweet Homicide was a mystery comedy with Peggy Ann Garner and Randolph Scott.

220px-Home_Sweet_Homicide_Poster.jpg

Paul Kelly returned in the adventure Strange Journey.

220px-Strange_Journey_(film).jpg

Jeanne Crain played a 20s sweetheart in the massively successful Margie.

220px-Margie_poster.jpg

Eric Portman starred in the Brit film Wanted for Murder.

220px-Wanted_for_Murder_FilmPoster.jpeg

Tyrone Power returned after a 3 year absense in the superior The Razor's Edge which had an interesting plot and many fine performances, especially the Oscar winning one from Anne Baxter.

220px-Razors_edge.jpg

Dangerous millions was a thriller accentuating the dangerous side of cold hard moola.

220px-Dangerous_Millions_poster.jpg

June Haver and John Payne fell in love in Wake Up and Dream.

220px-Wake_Up_and_Dream_FilmPoster.jpeg

The year closed with one of John Ford's best regarded westerns, the perennial My Darling Clementine.

1946.my.darling.clementine.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings