Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NY Cowboys

Janet0312

I've been wondering how the NY actors who worked on Broadway came out to Hollywood to ride horses. Specifically speaking of Pernell Roberts and Larry Storch and maybe Ken Berry. I haven't read any stories about how these people learned how to ride horses. You?

5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I've been wondering how the NY actors who worked on Broadway came out to Hollywood to ride horses. Specifically speaking of Pernell Roberts and Larry Storch and maybe Ken Berry. I haven't read any stories about how these people learned how to ride horses. You?

I can't speak to specifics about those guys, but it was general practice to train potential actors in basic horsemanship from the 40's through the early 70's or so, as the western genre was so pervasive, especially during the mid 50's through the late 60's. Almost every working actor in film and/or television would appear in at least one episode of a western TV show, so that skill was basically a requirement. I think of it the same way contract players were trained in singing and dance, even if the studios weren't necessarily planning on using them in musicals. Having those skills on your resume helped get them work even after the contract system faded.

I'm sure there were more than one ranch out west that served as a training ground for actors.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings