Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the deal with guys wearing leather wristbands?

LawrenceA

I've noticed in more than a few things that I've watched recently guys wearing leather wristbands. The shows/films have been set in then-or-near contemporary times. Is it just a fashion accessory or did it serve a practical purpose? Was there a specific person that inspired this trend to catch on for awhile? I'm not a fashion person in the least, so I have no idea about this stuff.

deliverance_1972_002_copy.jpg

I never really paid much attention to it. I always assumed that was a wristwatch that Burt was wearing. Wristbands are a lot more common in martial arts films, I think. I can recall some Shaw Brothers films where wristbands are part of the get up.

I guess that men or women would wear leather wristbands (or else sweatbands) or leather finger-less gloves in movies/shows just to achieve a sort of "tough" look to their character.

Here's an example -

Check out this picture of Jane Russell and Jeanne Crain for the 1955 movie "Gentlemen Marry Brunettes".

For some reason, Jeanne Crain is wearing a black wrist sweatband.  She actually never does during the movie, but she just happens to be in this picture.

2087708258_Picture2.thumb.jpg.c6f09c6a9e52bf1ec92875a10ca29fa2.jpg

In this particular movie, Crain takes a chance to take on more of a sexual image (more so than Jane Russell!) based off her appearance and choice of wardrobe (she's often dressed in revealing outfits and that erotic, rasping voice she has!), so I don't know if the black sweatband was supposed to present herself as more "tough girl-like", or else she was often perspiring on the set.  Nevertheless, Jeanne Crain looks sexually pleasing, and just a thick black article of fleece can help provide some sort of fierceness to her newfound image.  That dark butch hairstyle also brings out the hotness within her!

By the way, here's another picture of Jeanne Crain wearing a black wrist sweatband -

WARNING: If you think the above picture of her is sexy, then be prepared for this next one.  She's dressed in a VERY racy and cleavage-revealing bikini!

Just imagine, this delectable dish of unbelievably desirable gorgeous feminine sexiness was only first cast in "good-girl" roles!

Picture.jpg

1 hour ago, TOASTnJAM said:

Is it a wristwatch? I recall back then men's big leather wristbands were popular. It had that tough guy vibe.  

The ones that I've noticed were not watches. If anything, they resemble braces. I was wondering if they had their origin as some piece of cowboy gear or heavy laborer's wear that would strengthen the wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, that wristband from Deliverance may have served as a wrist protector for archery (especially if Burt is a right-hander). This would shield the wrist from the bowstring. As for the non-archer fashions, this will not apply. 😜

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, metamorpheus said:

If I recall correctly, that wristband from Deliverance may have served as a wrist protector for archery (especially if Burt is a right-hander). This would shield the wrist from the bowstring. As for the non-archer fashions, this will not apply. 😜

It was a thing with Burt, as he was sporting them even in his first movie (Angel Baby, 1961). I just used the Deliverance pic because it was all I could find online that clearly showed them. And I've also seen other guys wearing them, such as Gilbert Roland, who seemed to sport them quite often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It was a thing with Burt, as he was sporting them even in his first movie (Angel Baby, 1961). I just used the Deliverance pic because it was all I could find online that clearly showed them. And I've also seen other guys wearing them, such as Gilbert Roland, who seemed to sport them quite often.

I wonder if Burt ever got Sally or Dinah into those leather wristbands or other leather products.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 12:59 PM, LawrenceA said:

I have a feeling it started as gladiator bling in those Italian sword and sandal flicks, which were happening just around the time Burt was entering the business.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings