Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, Canadians...

LawrenceA

I've often read lamentations from the boards' Canadian contingent about TCM skipping Canada Day programming. If the channel were to devote 24 hours to Canadian themed films, what titles would you choose? You don't have to post a full 24 hours worth of stuff if that's too much for you, just a title or 3. However, full schedules are also appreciated.

I ask this as I just watched The Canadians, and it's pretty bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll have to think about it, Lawrence. There are actually many really good Canadian films, both in English and in French.

Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest My American Cousin. It's a 1985 film by Canadian director Sandy Wilson, and it's a fairly light-weight but enjoyable little movie about a Canadian girl whose family is paid a visit one summer from her older, ultra-cool American cousin- with the very American name of Butch.

I don't know why I thought of that one right off, I haven't even seen it in years, maybe it's not as amusing as I remember it. Maybe just the Canadian point-of-view of  what Americans are like made me think of it.

Haven't seen The Canadians. I do see that neither its director nor its cast were actually Canadian, so hopefully we cannot be blamed for its sub-par quality.

• Like 1

My first pick would be a Canadian made film, Why Rock the Boat?, an atmospheric 1974 comedy-drama about the newspaper trade, set in 1947 Montreal, at a time when press unions were only just starting to get organized.

Stuart Gillard, pictured below, is terrific as a naive cub reporter just learning the ropes who, initially, doesn't want to rock any boats. He has great chemistry with Ken James as a cynical old time newspaper photographer. The film also features Henry Beckman, who is memorable as a tyrannical paper publisher who loves to terrorize his employees.

Gillard has a sort of young Jimmy Stewart quality about him and one of the highlight scenes of the film is one he shares with the incredibly sensual Patricia Gage, as the cougar wife of the paper's editor, who decides she wants to seduce the virginal Gillard. They have a scene by a fireplace in which Gage's description of the popping sounds that pop corn makes turns that simple event into an erotic experience.

It annoys me no end that this lovely but little known film has never, to the best of my knowledge, had any kind of home video release. Our Bogie on these boards, by the way, knew Stuart Gillard.

MV5BYWZmMGFmYmUtMzVhOC00ODkwLTg2MzItMjE3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not Canadian, but the first thing I always think of when I see Canadian films brought up are the works of David Cronenberg, particularly his earlier stuff (They Came from Within, RabidThe BroodScannersVideodrome), and Denys Arcand's The Decline of the American Empire and The Barbarian Invasions.

• Like 1

Not Canadian myself but.....

Silent Barriers (1937)

Hudson's Bay (1941)

Canadian Pacific (1949)

Pony Soldier (1952)

The Wild North (1952)

Alien Thunder (1974)

Death Hunt (1981)

Black Robe (1991)

Map of the Human Heart (1992)

The Saddest Music In The World (2003)

..... would be a start.

• Like 1

I've been suggesting this for some time now.  You could even celebrate Canada with American produced films if need be by celebrating the talent ...

What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, William Shatner, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Keanu Reeves, Laura Linney, Chief Dan George, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Brendan Fraser, Alexis Smith, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

I've been suggesting this for some time now.  You could even celebrate Canada with American produced films if need be by celebrating the talent ...

What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Roddy Piper

I'm all for a 24-hour salute to Rowdy Roddy Piper on TCM. 

tumblr_nc24wnASMl1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, William Shatner, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Keanu Reeves, Laura Linney, Chief Dan George, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Brendan Fraser, Alexis Smith, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

Don't tell me they are all Canadian..... :D just kidding, if they are you forgot Lorne Greene

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm all for a 24-hour salute to Rowdy Roddy Piper on TCM. 

tumblr_nc24wnASMl1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

How about 24 hours of Piper's Pits? I still recall the time he smashed a cocoanut into Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka's head and, I have to tell you, it looked damn real. Canadian or not, Piper was always my favourite wrestler.

19840328_piperpit_snuka.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I dunno what those Canadians might suggest up there Lawrence, BUT if it were up to ME, I'd suggest TCM contact whoever is presently holding the rights to Jay Ward's vast cannon of animated shorts to see if there would be ANY possibility at all of our favorite channel showing a set of one particular series of them in honor(notice the lack the superfluous-'u' in that word) of this "Canada Day" thing!

(...yeah, you guessed it...I wanna see TCM show a whole bunch of DUDLEY DO-RIGHT cartoons...YEAH!!!) ;)

• Like 2

Let 'em come up with a slightly more imaginative name than Canada Day. A while back I

made the somewhat disturbing discovery that we have French Canadian ancestors on

my mother's side of the family. They emigrated to upstate New York sometime in the

1840s. O, thank you, thank you. :)

Les uns, joyeux de fuir une patrie infame;

Charlie Allnut was Canadian too.

Screen+Shot+2017-09-05+at+1.00.06+AM.jpg

You may have noticed that there are quite a few characters in Hollywood films that are supposedly from Canada.  This was part of a reciprocal agreement with Canada.  The U.S. movie exhibition chains were allowed their monopolies in Canada in return for "promoting" Canada which could be in the form of just mentioning the country in their studio films.  It's true.  Talk about a ham sandwich deal.

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Silent Barriers (1937)

Hudson's Bay (1941)

Canadian Pacific (1949)

Pony Soldier (1952)

The Wild North (1952)

Alien Thunder (1974)

Death Hunt (1981)

Black Robe (1991)

..... would be a start.

Death Hunt definitely. a winner! very underrated adventure film with great music by Jerrold immel.

• Like 1

...That reminds me of an American-produced film about Canadians that I caught a bit of on AMC in the 90s. It was a war film, a d at one point a military character said this immortal ine or similar to another: military:

" Captain, no!!!!! They're just a bunch of farm kids from the fields of Saskatchewan and Alberta!!! " Really getting literal/spelling it out!

I later saw that that film was a product of the pre-Peatl Harbor time so that might explain why the film so played to Our Neighbor Up North. Weren't there a number of such films made in Hollywood pre-12/7/41? " A Yank In The RCAF " and suchlike.

23 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Silent Barriers (1937)

Hudson's Bay (1941)

Canadian Pacific (1949)

Pony Soldier (1952)

The Wild North (1952)

Alien Thunder (1974)

Death Hunt (1981)

Black Robe (1991)

..... would be a start.

cigarjoe, you know I respect you and your movie knowledge. However, with respect (and I mean that), I have to say that most of the films you list above are not actually Canadian films. They're American (and in one case, New Zealand) films that are set in Canada. And maybe just "set", not actually filmed, in Canada.

Some on your list are actually Canadian (Alien Thunder, Black Robe, Saddest Music in the World), but most are mainstream Hollywood studio films about all those Canadian cliches, like Mounties and mountains (anything beginning with the letters " m o u n t", I guess)

I appreciate that you're familiar with all those films on your list. However, it's kind of like when TCM does their "Irish" day - you know, their programming on St. Patrick's day. Most of the choices are American Irish movies, full of hearty cheerful comical Irish-American policemen and fiery red-haired quasi-Irish beauties. Even "The Quiet Man", filmed in Ireland, is mainly an American movie. And it's too bad, because there are so many really good genuinely Irish films.

Well, c'est le meme chose avec Canadian films. There's a myriad of excellent Canadian-made movies, many already listed on this thread. But I have a feeling TCM won't be airing any of them on Canada Day or any other day. However, there's a good chance they'll air "Rose Marie", whether on July 1st or some other time. After all, it's got a Mountie in it.

23 hours ago, TomJH said:

My first pick would be a Canadian made film, Why Rock the Boat?, an atmospheric 1974 comedy-drama about the newspaper trade, set in 1947 Montreal, at a time when press unions were only just starting to get organized.

Stuart Gillard, pictured below, is terrific as a naive cub reporter just learning the ropes who, initially, doesn't want to rock any boats. He has great chemistry with Ken James as a cynical old time newspaper photographer. The film also features Henry Beckman, who is memorable as a tyrannical paper publisher who loves to terrorize his employees.

Gillard has a sort of young Jimmy Stewart quality about him and one of the highlight scenes of the film is one he shares with the incredibly sensual Patricia Gage, as the cougar wife of the paper's editor, who decides she wants to seduce the virginal Gillard. They have a scene by a fireplace in which Gage's description of the popping sounds that pop corn makes turns that simple event into an erotic experience.

It annoys me no end that this lovely but little known film has never, to the best of my knowledge, had any kind of home video release. Our Bogie on these boards, by the way, knew Stuart Gillard.

Tom, I've always wanted to see Why Rock the Boat. I remember my parents talking about it when I was a kid, and them saying how funny and witty it was. But I've never had the chance to see it. Damn shame.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I forgot about Guy Maddin. I'd have to include at least one of his strange films. I liked that one, and My Winnipeg. I need to see more.

Yes ! I love Guy Maddin ! I was going to suggest his work, but you beat me to it. And actually, our friend cigarjoe suggested a Guy Maddin film, Saddest Music in the World.  (see, joe? credit where credit is due.)

9 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

cigarjoe, you know I respect you and your movie knowledge. However, with respect (and I mean that), I have to say that most of the films you list above are not actually Canadian films. They're American (and in one case, New Zealand) films that are set in Canada. And maybe just "set", not actually filmed, in Canada.

Some on your list are actually Canadian (Alien Thunder, Black Robe, Saddest Music in the World), but most are mainstream Hollywood studio films about all those Canadian cliches, like Mounties and mountains (anything beginning with the letters " m o u n t", I guess)

I appreciate that you're familiar with all those films on your list. However, it's kind of like when TCM does their "Irish" day - you know, their programming on St. Patrick's day. Most of the choices are American Irish movies, full of hearty cheerful comical Irish-American policemen and fiery red-haired quasi-Irish beauties. Even "The Quiet Man", filmed in Ireland, is mainly an American movie. And it's too bad, because there are so many really good genuinely Irish films.

Well, c'est le meme chose avec Canadian films. There's a myriad of excellent Canadian-made movies, many already listed on this thread. But I have a feeling TCM won't be airing any of them on Canada Day or any other day. However, there's a good chance they'll air "Rose Marie", whether on July 1st or some other time. After all, it's got a Mountie in it.

23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

If the channel were to devote 24 hours to Canadian themed films, what titles would you choose?

He didn't say "just Canadian Films," mon chéri.  😉

4 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

He didn't say "just Canadian Films," mon chéri.  😉

You is right, he said "Canadian-themed" movies. I hadn't really noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.

However, I still maintain that there are so many really good actual Canadian films that TCM could easily fill an entire day of programming with them alone.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings