Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

25 years later, TCM still abides (so movie lovers pray)


JakeHolman
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 years later, TCM still abides (so movie lovers pray)

NEW YORK (AP) — There is always an asteroid, real or imagined, bearing down on Turner Classic Movies .

Fears that something might befall the commercial-less bastion of classic Hollywood films aren’t always justified. But there’s an instinctual understanding that keeping anything good and pure alive in this dark, dark world is against the odds. By now, the hosts and executives of TCM are quite accustomed to fretful, agitated fans coming to them for reassurance that, yes, Turner Classic is OK, and, no, commercials aren’t coming.

https://www.apnews.com/7341e075894d4a75b5affc0b4fba1a31

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/tcm-turner-classic-movies-celebrates-years-talk-with-jennifer-dorian/K2Kv5Hwy9YlhaJKBJ3ULtN/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What an ignorant article. Of course there are commercials on TCM. They play in between the movies.

The movies are commercial free. But TCM itself is not commercial free.

To say that fans are fretful and agitated seems absurd. Article writer needs to get facts correct and stop over-dramatizing.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

To say that fans are fretful and agitated seems absurd. Article writer needs to get facts correct and stop over-dramatizing.

Seems written intentionally to stoke fear into the reader. As for the commercials, I don't mind them as long as they stay after/ before the movie. I don't even mind the wine ad much anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Seems written intentionally to stoke fear into the reader. As for the commercials, I don't mind them as long as they stay after/ before the movie. I don't even mind the wine ad much anymore.

Because you've gotten used to it, that's why! 

It's TCM's anniversary. Why not present a more positive article. They should be ashamed of publishing this junk and trying to pass it off as journalism. Total rubbish.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Add anger, and you've just described 99% of all 21st century news media.

Ah, yes! And remember when they'd also use "sex" as a hook to grab your attention, Lawrence?!

(...oh how I miss those days!) ;)

LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

What an ignorant article. Of course there are commercials on TCM. They play in between the movies.

The movies are commercial free. But TCM itself is not commercial free.

To say that fans are fretful and agitated seems absurd. Article writer needs to get facts correct and stop over-dramatizing.

Is AT&T still in charge of operations at TCM? I would say be fretful and agitated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Is AT&T still in charge of operations at TCM? I would say be fretful and agitated.

Oh come on, no need for hysteria. Stress leads to an increased risk for cancer. Why would anyone stress out about a cable channel and fuel the spread of cancer? Seriously.

There are things to worry about in life. This is NOT one of them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are things to worry about in life. This is NOT one of them. 

Just remember you wrote that. As I've said before, I'm glad that "Game of Thrones" and "Veep" are ending on HBO so that AT&T can never mess with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

Just remember you wrote that. As I've said before, I'm glad that "Game of Thrones" and "Veep" are ending on HBO so that AT&T can never mess with them.

I will definitely remember I wrote that. I wrote that for a reason and made sure I posted it. :) 

It amuses me that people go along with these chicken little sky is falling theories about TCM. This has been happening for years.

Will TCM continue to change and grow? Yes. It won't stay the same. But it won't go away. To perpetuate the notion that it will go away is some desperate ploy to create "news" where there is none. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I will definitely remember I wrote that. I wrote that for a reason and made sure I posted it. :) 

It amuses me that people go along with these chicken little sky is falling theories about TCM. This has been happening for years.

Will TCM continue to change and grow? Yes. It won't stay the same. But it won't go away. To perpetuate the notion that it will go away is some desperate ploy to create "news" where there is none. 

Shouldn't be too hard to remember the post: Easter Monday 2019! :ph34r:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What an ignorant article. Of course there are commercials on TCM. They play in between the movies.

The movies are commercial free. But TCM itself is not commercial free.

 

And too, the only ones I notice are TCM related( wine club, DVDs, books, etc.) so I don't know if I'd really consider them "commercials" more than promotions. Like ABC, NBC, CBS etc. promoting upcoming shows on their respective networks.

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And too, the only ones I notice are TCM related( wine club, DVDs, books, etc.) so I don't know if I'd really consider them "commercials" more than promotions. Like ABC, NBC, CBS etc. promoting upcoming shows on their respective networks.

Sepiatone

Any time you are selling "stuff" (Wine Club, Back Lot, Cruises, Books, DVDs, etc.) that is a commercial. "Promotions" aka "promos" (and I've worked at TV stations as a Creative Services Director --  TV-speak for "Promotion Director") are 30-60 second ads for upcoming episodes of existing or new shows. Make no mistake, TCM runs tons of commercials between films and the amount of time devoted to selling TCM products and events has increased substantially over the years.  Look at any of your old recordings of films which were intro'ed by Robert Osborne, even 5 years ago, and you will see the difference between then and now. Conversely, when TCM airs an old movie trailer "promoting" a film which will be shown in a few days, that is a promo, not a commercial.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this a week ago, and no one really got upset. It was in the newer films bashing thread. I was pointing out how TCM programs. (70% of programming is from the 30s/40s/50s.)

I am in a 12-step program to reduce my TCM intake. AT&T and TCM are on notice. I am seeing other channels.

All this stuff TCM does between movies is making money. Making for more fans. It's all good.

AT&T has to be delighted that Turner Cla$$ic Movies is looking good in the ledgers.

I am having skin cancer surgery in two weeks. So TopBilled must be right. I've worried too much. And YES, there are a million other things to worry about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

TCM is not going away.

I want this to be the case

I want TCM to be around a long, long time.

I would dare say that CEO(s) and other corporate types are not artistically inclined..

And..if by chance they are artistically inclined...if money isn't on the bottom line..

Art goes out the window

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

I want this to be the case

I want TCM to be around a long, long time.

I would dare say that CEO(s) and other corporate types are not artistically inclined..

And..if by chance they are artistically inclined...if money isn't on the bottom line..

Art goes out the window

They own/have access to all those films in the Turner library. They would make no more money on these films if the films were put back into a vault. TCM will likely turn into a pay-to-stream service, and these films will remain available. And along with the films will be some of the wraparounds that TCM produced.

Regarding HOT SPELL, this film will fall into the public domain and TCM will still not be interested in it. That's because it does not compare to NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

screen-shot-2019-04-22-at-12.58.36-pm.jp

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

To say that fans are fretful and agitated seems absurd.

I disagree.  Look at the freakout over the AT&T/Time Warner merger, or when the Library of Congress/National Film Registry night ran My Fair Lady.  Boy was there a lot of agitation here over that one.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...