Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

25 years later, TCM still abides (so movie lovers pray)

49 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

Agree

TCM may shape-shift..and still remain TCM

My guess-- but the way they will "remain TCM" is by connecting lifestyle offers with the streaming choices.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The old AMC went away. 

TCM is not going away.

I miss the old AMC. If nothing else, healthy competition is a good thing. 

Honestly, I believe the old TCM has already gone. The only constant (especially in media) is change. I don’t however feel sad about the change, I actually like it. the TCM app is BRILLIANT and it has already transformed the way I approach watching movies. If I see something on the schedule that I really really want to see, I don’t have to plan around it or even set a DVR. I know I have a week or so to see it via the app. I can also watch the host intros by themselves which I have found is a surprisingly nice feature to have. All of this allows me to plan my movie nights when I’m ready to enjoy them. I don’t see that change as bad at all.

Watching the films live, however, does have one big advantage. If you watch live, you can enjoy the film with others via twitter using all the hashtags. Live-Tweeting a movie is something that no one even dreamed about 25 years ago but it’s a change that I really enjoy. 

If AT&T wants to try to sell me fermented grapes between the movies, meh, go for it. Everyone has to pay the rent. As long as they don’t try to sell me a seat on a cruise during the movie, I’m probably not going to complain. 

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HomeCinemaNerd said:

I miss the old AMC. If nothing else, healthy competition is a good thing. 

Honestly, I believe the old TCM has already gone. The only constant (especially in media) is change. I don’t however feel sad about the change, I actually like it. the TCM app is BRILLIANT and it has already transformed the way I approach watching movies. If I see something on the schedule that I really really want to see, I don’t have to plan around it or even set a DVR. I know I have a week or so to see it via the app. I can also watch the host intros by themselves which I have found is a surprisingly nice feature to have. All of this allows me to plan my movie nights when I’m ready to enjoy them. I don’t see that change as bad at all.

Watching the films live, however, does have one big advantage. If you watch live, you can enjoy the film with others via twitter using all the hashtags. Live-Tweeting a movie is something that no one even dreamed about 25 years ago but it’s a change that I really enjoy. 

If AT&T wants to try to sell me fermented grapes between the movies, meh, go for it. Everyone has to pay the rent. As long as they don’t try to sell me a seat on a cruise during the movie, I’m probably not going to complain. 

Cheers

Welcome to the message boards.

Re: your third paragraph...not sure about Twitter since I don't use it very much...but we've had live threads on this site before. Even if a film is not broadcast live, people can still watch it at the same time (if it's on YouTube or other platforms) and discuss it live.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Welcome to the message boards.

Re: your third paragraph...not sure about Twitter since I don't use it very much...but we've had live threads on this site before. Even if a film is not broadcast live, people can still watch it at the same time (if it's on YouTube or other platforms) and discuss it live.

Thanks!

And yes, absolutely it can be a social event via other media. I was confining my discussion to where I know TCM is actively involved in the live discussions. I’m sure Facebook is probably the same but I don’t use that much. 

Regardless, believe there has already been some change over the years, not all of it bad. And a quick search of the forum shows that this is a perennial topic and I’m sure we’ll be lamenting the commercials for the “All New TCM Augmented Reality Glasses” in a few years ;)

• Haha 1

This whole issue begs the question, does anybody actually remember what played between the movies in 1994 when TCM first aired? I watched from day one but I don't remember much about what played BETWEEN movies. Was there a TCM shop? Did they hawk tee shirts, mugs, bobbleheads, books, and VHS tapes? I don't think TCM did "events" until they started having the film festivals and cruises around 2010. There was no internet to speak of, so if you did buy, you would have had to order by phone.

I do remember them having some trailers for some of the movies they played, like a rather long trailer for "Red Headed Woman". There was also a little piece on "Lights of New York" and the dead guy in the barber chair bit where a towel was put on his face to make him look like a live customer.

One thing they've changed  I really do miss and that is the on air announcer for the next block of films. Sometimes the TCM announcer would say something cute about the line-up. Now it's just a mute listing of what is coming up.  I think they made that change i just the last few years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

All this stuff TCM does between movies is making money. Making for more fans. It's all good.

Really?  ARE wine sales that good?  DO they sell that many books and DVDs?  Enough to  bring in enough revenue to finance their entire operation?

I don't think so.  But likely it helps enough. But, what's done BETWEEN movies ISN'T why people would likely tune in.  I don't think anyone, for example, ever says, ..."Let's see what's on the MOVIES! channel.  I LOVE what they show between the movies!"  ;)

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

This whole issue begs the question, does anybody actually remember what played between the movies in 1994 when TCM first aired? I watched from day one but I don't remember much about what played BETWEEN movies. Was there a TCM shop? Did they hawk tee shirts, mugs, bobbleheads, books, and VHS tapes? I don't think TCM did "events" until they started having the film festivals and cruises around 2010. There was no internet to speak of, so if you did buy, you would have had to order by phone.

I do remember them having some trailers for some of the movies they played, like a rather long trailer for "Red Headed Woman". There was also a little piece on "Lights of New York" and the dead guy in the barber chair bit where a towel was put on his face to make him look like a live customer.

One thing they've changed  I really do miss and that is the on air announcer for the next block of films. Sometimes the TCM announcer would say something cute about the line-up. Now it's just a mute listing of what is coming up.  I think they made that change i just the last few years.

All I remember from the earlier years was a lot of short films and original trailers. There were also the interview snippets, but I don't know when they started those. There's also the Movie News of the Month, but I don't know when that was started, either.

TCM did work on some VHS releases, older films that they helped remaster and/or restore. The channel logo was on the cover-box. They may have promoted those, telling viewers that they were available in stores. I had the TCM edition VHS release of The Magnificent Ambersons until fairly recently.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Really?  ARE wine sales that good?  DO they sell that many books and DVDs?  Enough to  bring in enough revenue to finance their entire operation?

I don't think so.  But likely it helps enough. But, what's done BETWEEN movies ISN'T why people would likely tune in.  I don't think anyone, for example, ever says, ..."Let's see what's on the MOVIES! channel.  I LOVE what they show between the movies!"  ;)

Sepiatone

I might ask the same question regarding how much sales are and/or profits. CNN makes money from selling ads. TCM does not. So these are the ads, as so many have already said.

I have no idea what TCM was like in the past. I have been a customer to TCM for more than 5 years and less than 10 years. I'm really not sure. In 1994, I was on a 36-channel cable system and we had AMC. You could still hook the little black wire directly to the TV.

Plan on TCM being different 25 years from now (2044!).

Most networks either on cable or otherwise makes their money on commercials.  Except for HBO, Showtime and any other "premium" channels.  Then, the extra FEE your service charges for your having them on your service is their source of revenue.  

Now, I've read on these boards many people claim THEY TOO, pay an extra fee to get TCM, and others(like me) get it as part of their "basic" package.  As far as I know, TCM is the only other channel on my service besides any PBS channels that doesn't interrupt movies or other programming with consumer product commercials. 

TCM has gone through a few changes over the years, but one thing that's NEVER changed, is their presenting "classic" movies unedited and uninterrupted.   AMC started out that way too, but sadly went astray...  :( 

Sepiatone

I pay for a higher tier package that includes TCM. I have Xfinity/Comcast. The tier includes many channels. So if I'm paying extra for TCM, it is very little. An extra $10 for at least 30 more channels.

I keep repeating my feelings about TCM as a stand-alone service, Starz style.

If I flap my yap long enough, it just may happen.🤣

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Now, I've read on these boards many people claim THEY TOO, pay an extra fee to get TCM, and others(like me) get it as part of their "basic" package.  As far as I know, TCM is the only other channel on my service besides any PBS channels that doesn't interrupt movies or other programming with consumer product commercials. 

As Mr. Rennie mentioned above, TCM isn't a premium channel that is paid for by itself,  such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz. Rather it's part of the Preferred Tier of channels, the bundle of which costs additionally.

With Comcast, in my area, there's the cheapest package, which includes the major networks, and a few of the other basic cable channels, like the Weather Channel. Then there's the full basic cable package, which includes about 60 channels, including many of the usual suspects: the 24/7 news channels, History, Animal Planet, MTV, Comedy Central, AMC, etc. Then there's another tier of channels, which has an additional 40 or so channels, and this one is where TCM has always been found in my area. I watch very few of the others in this tier, as many are sports or religious or children's channels, so for me, it is almost as if I'm paying a premium price for TCM.

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

including many of the usual suspects

Why does that sound familiar?

Even before AT&T, DirecTV had TCM in all packages. Dish charges more, unless you get their Flex pack. It is an extra with Sling TV, but the most popular of streaming services include TCM.

In the Weed, California area, no I'm not making that up, TCM is still in a basic package. It is possible Spectrum/Charter in Southern Oregon has TCM in a lower priced package as well.

• Thanks 1

In the beginning they did have some commercials so to speak for their products( movie catalog and new films available) they had interesting interviews with movie stars and more shorts than they do now. It was very basic but lots of great movies. 

I hope they will go to an independent app for purchase mainly because for me and my husband cable line up is basically garbage. Reruns of shows from ‘70’s to ‘90’s that we have absolutely no interest in watching and for nearly $120 a month it’s really a waste of money. Much rather pay for what I actually want to watch. Plus in our area TCM is only available on the most expensive tier. I got Sling and the extra movie package ($5) to watch TCM. Only thing is now with Net neutrality Xfinity is throttling apps like Sling and Amazon Prime. 

I have thought for years now that the future of TV will be all apps or services like Amazon Prime/Sling where you choose your channels and pay accordingly. Days of big cable are coming to an end.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, TopBilled said:

What an ignorant article. Of course there are commercials on TCM. They play in between the movies.

The movies are commercial free. But TCM itself is not commercial free.

To say that fans are fretful and agitated seems absurd. Article writer needs to get facts correct and stop over-dramatizing.

To topBilled., what exactly is he talking about

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As Mr. Rennie mentioned above, TCM isn't a premium channel that is paid for by itself,  such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz. Rather it's part of the Preferred Tier of channels, the bundle of which costs additionally.

With Comcast, in my area, there's the cheapest package, which includes the major networks, and a few of the other basic cable channels, like the Weather Channel. Then there's the full basic cable package, which includes about 60 channels, including many of the usual suspects: the 24/7 news channels, History, Animal Planet, MTV, Comedy Central, AMC, etc. Then there's another tier of channels, which has an additional 40 or so channels, and this one is where TCM has always been found in my area. I watch very few of the others in this tier, as many are sports or religious or children's channels, so for me, it is almost as if I'm paying a premium price for TCM.

Well you see, WOW's lowest "basic" package is similar to that 3rd tier you mention.  Their "basic" starts with channel 2 (a local Fox affiliate ) and ending with channel 197(antenna TV) and the 40+MUSIC CHOICE channels starting at #50.  And TCM is channel 41 on WOW.  ;) 

They used to have STARZ and ENCORE as part of that "basic" package, but 'bout 4 years or so ago wanted to start charging $12 a month for either one($24 for both).  So I don't get them anymore.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, spence said:

To topBilled., what exactly is he talking about

He's trying to say that TCM will go the way of the dinosaurs.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't see the point in "obsessing" about this.

Maybe you will someday. 

Just now, jakeem said:

Maybe you will someday. 

Or maybe I won't. LOL

Nothing against people being interested in such stuff. Good on them. But personally I don't find it very relevant. 

There are more important things to be concerned about in life than what a large media company does. My opinion.

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are more important things to be concerned about in life than what a large media company does. My opinion.

Nevertheless, you might want to pay attention to this large media company and what it does.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, TopBilled said:

Because you've gotten used to it, that's why! 

It's TCM's anniversary. Why not present a more positive article. They should be ashamed of publishing this junk and trying to pass it off as journalism. Total rubbish.

You certainly seem to be “fretful and agitated” by the article, which isn’t anything like you’re making it seem.  Quite an overreaction.

I am reading posts on a cord cutting site that claim TCM will have ads between movies starting this summer, and the TCM wine club is over. Just a couple of people giving this news, so I don't really know about credibility.

AT&T has billions in debt and that seems to be all that matters.

No one is showing this information, just saying it is from a WarnerMedia news conference from early this year.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:57 AM, TopBilled said:

Or maybe I won't. LOL

Nothing against people being interested in such stuff. Good on them. But personally I don't find it very relevant. 

TB, with all due respect, it is not just what one large media company does, it is the fact that so many industries are just one large company.  Big media, big hospital, big pharma, and even big funeral. Yeah. You know that "Mom and Pop Funeral Home" that has been there for 50 years? Chances are they are owned by one or two "big funeral" companies that set the prices for all, and those prices have been going up. That mom & pop pest control company I've been using since 1997? It just got bought by Rollins Pest Control, but they kept the mom and pop name so that you'd never know the increased prices are coming from upstairs.  You might as well set fire to anti-trust law, because as far as I can see it no longer exists in the USA anymore. End of rant.

• Thanks 1