Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

TCM relaunches The Essentials on May the 4th

According to Lindsey Bahr of The Associated Press, Ben Mankiewicz will co-host the series with the outspoken Oscar-nominated filmmaker Ava DuVernay.

800.jpeg

https://apnews.com/7b0a74a2c80d4b1d9686dbe750629f2f?utm_medium=APEntertainment&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

And here are the scheduled films from May through July and September through January 2020:

http://essentials.tcm.com/

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

nice to finally see some foreign films there :)

Yes, there are several off-beat choices. Much more interesting than just trotting out the same, overplayed titles yet again.

• Thanks 2

I wish TCM was this proactive paying for more film premieres on its REGULAR schedule. Just goes to show, they have the money to pay for it when they want to!

• Like 1

Yeah, right. I still wont watch........LOL.

I might tune in for a few of the premieres out of curiosity.

1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 6h6 hours ago

Yes! Breaking classic movie news.

Working w/ @Ava - man, just listening to her discuss these films - was like a film course from a favorite teacher.

@ava was challenging - not personally (exactly the opposite) - but critically. She will open up the manner you take in movies. @tcm

NOthing wrong w/hearing differing perspectives.... :)

-why I loved the world film series (w/weird British? host) they ran.....

(remember that?)

Just now, mr6666 said:

NOthing wrong w/hearing differing perspectives.... :)

-why I loved the world film series (w/weird British? host) they ran.....

(remember that?)

Oh, yes, I do remember that. Must have been around 2012 or 2013. There were a lot of international films and 60s/70s/80s films that dotted the schedule on the nights when it aired.

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Nice to see mention of Claudine from 1974. It's really a wonderful film, and Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones both shine in it.

Man, oh, man there are a lot of ironic posts I'd like to make here. But I know they'd all be misinterpreted.

5 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Man, oh, man there are a lot of ironic posts I'd like to make here. But I know they'd all be misinterpreted.

Much like the one you decided to post. ;)

4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Okay how about Dick Cavett and Rex Reed.

Dick Cavett     Rex Reed

They had their day. And that day has long since past. Enough with looking backwards. Time to move forward to new perspectives and ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Is this about watching classic film or putting people to sleep ? The next time Cavett asks an interesting question will be the first time.

Ouch!

Well I was at least halfway serious about Cavett, considering all the classic stars he had extended interviews with during the run of his show - and he is still with us.  But I suppose you could just pop those up on Youtube or similar.

Yeah, back when there were only 7 channels to watch, those stars had no where else to go. Let's not make these hosts "great" just because great stars appeared on their shows.

Frankly, I don't think much of today's talk hosts. They are deathly afraid to ask any real questions that viewers want answers to. Because then the stars won't return to the show.

Old =/= great or classic

9 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Yeah, back when there were only 7 channels to watch, those stars had no where else to go. Let's not make these hosts "great" just because great stars appeared on their shows.

Frankly, I don't think much of today's talk hosts. They are deathly afraid to ask any real questions that viewers want answers to. Because then the stars won't return to the show.

Old =/= great or classic

Neither is anything new though. I remain highly skeptical of the "out with the old, in with the new" mantra, especially considering this is the TCM message board.

4 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Neither is anything new though. I remain highly skeptical of the "out with the old, in with the new" mantra, especially considering this is the TCM message board.

I never said anything like "out with the old".

But, I also am highly skeptical of the mantra that "just because something is old, it must be classic"

Hence, we disagree :)

1 minute ago, GGGGerald said:

I never said anything like "out with the old".

But, I also am highly skeptical of the mantra that "just because something is old, it must be classic"

Hence, we disagree :)

That was just a paraphrase of your other reply:

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

They had their day. And that day has long since past. Enough with looking backwards. Time to move forward to new perspectives and ideas.

So whether or not you actually meant what you said, is debatable.

5 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That was just a paraphrase of your other reply:

So whether or not you actually meant what you said, is debatable.

I meant those two particular people. If they were relevant, they would be sought after for their opinions. And they aren't. And there is a reason for that.

There is a big difference between stars and those who merely interviewed the stars. Let's not confuse the two. You will never ever hear me demean an actor from that golden age. But, those who were just tangentially involved in Hollywood, its a case by case basis.

In this day in age, all people should have an opportunity. Not only those who thrived when the opportunities were limited. All of the past was not glorious. Some parts need to be left in the past.

• Like 1