Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

"A Battle For The Soul Of This Nation" - You Tell 'Em, Joe!

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

She is very offended by the free college proposal, even if it would likely never get through the Senate.

Are you and your wife equally offended by "free" elementary and high school education? If more and more of our society's jobs require at least a 2-year college degree, then why not implement taxpayer funded education at least to that level, just as the 12+ years before that are taxpayer funded?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Are you and your wife equally offended by "free" elementary and high school education? If more and more of our society's jobs require at least a 2-year college degree, then why not implement taxpayer funded education at least to that level, just as the 12+ years before that are taxpayer funded?

Great question,   but it is just one of many related to "free college".       One idea is to make community-colleges "free" to students like it was when I was going back in the 80s here in CA.      But that would only address a very small demand.      No way a third-party like the government should pay privately owned colleges their tuition "rate".   

So like with government paid for health care there would need to be a college fee-schedule;       only $N,000 paid per student, per class, per semester.     All colleges ,   state owned or private that take on such students get the same rate.      But there are many holes in this type of framework.      

I.e.  how dollars would flow into the government and out to colleges is complex and it would take months to define such a system (and we would likely end up with something like the ACA - legislation whose's heart is in the right place but is full of flaws,  especially as it relates to escalating cost). 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for the feedback.   Those were not backhanded complements.       I would hope that the vast majority of those that dislike-Trump would understand that "If Biden goes too far left" it is was just rhetoric to win the primary.      I.e. that he doesn't really believe this and wouldn't try to implement it.         

Anyhow you confirmed my fear and what Bogie has been laying down for a while now (which until now,  I felt was overblown).

I thought Bogie was all in for more socialized programs in America and Dem candidate should be the one most likely to push for them.  And that the voters would support that person and elect him/her president.  At least that is how I interpreted his posts up until very recently.

I do agree that politicians lie and having been one and associated with many, I know this for a fact.  Sometimes it is what is required to win office and to do the things that are reasonable and can make society better.

In this case, I don't think Biden needs to jump in to the socialized America pool with so much alacrity. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I thought Bogie was all in for more socialized programs in America and Dem candidate should be the one most likely to push for them.  And that the voters would support that person and elect him/her president.  At least that is how I interpreted his posts up until very recently.

I do agree that politicians lie and having been one and associated with many, I know this for a fact.  Sometimes it is what is required to win office and to do the things that are reasonable and can make society better.

In this case, I don't think Biden needs to jump in to the socialized America pool with so much alacrity. 

Sorry I was unclear;  I wasn't talking about Bogie's (or anyone's) actual policy stances but only there final choice on  whether they should vote or not,  and if they vote,  who to vote for,  and the view that a Dem with a  socialized \ progressive agenda is worst for the nation than 4 more years of Trump.      Yea,  I'm so much in the anyone-but-Trump camp I find it hard to believe that someone with your political background (as well as your wife),     still has the need to gather info in order to make a decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sorry I was unclear;  I wasn't talking about Bogie's (or anyone's) actual policy stances but only there final choice on  whether they should vote or not,  and if they vote,  who to vote for,  and the view that a Dem with a  socialized \ progressive agenda is worst for the nation than 4 more years of Trump.      Yea,  I'm so much in the anyone-but-Trump camp I find it hard to believe that someone with your political background (as well as your wife),     still has the need to gather info in order to make a decision.

Right now it is still Biden for both of us.  I also realize that he will agree with whatever BS platform is adopted at the convention - and then ignore it.  The presidential candidates always ignore the platform, especially if they actually get elected.  I also know he is trying to appeal to the Bernie Bros, but it still upsets me to see him adopt a very socialized policy.

For all elections, I gather information up until I push the buttons.   A couple of years ago I was deciding between a fairly good guy I know and another candidate for a local office.  On my way to the polls I saw a yard sign for the first guy and that cinched my vote for his opponent.  Usually I have decided before that, but sometimes it is close.  Like which Republican to vote for in the primaries.  No good choices there.

".....On my way to the polls I saw a yard sign for the first guy and that cinched my vote for his opponent.  "

-REALLY?

that's ALL it took??

:blink:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

".....On my way to the polls I saw a yard sign for the first guy and that cinched my vote for his opponent.  "

-REALLY?

that's ALL it took??

:blink:

It was the picture he used as his campaign picture.  Won't go into it here, but it was totally inappropriate.  As I said, I was torn between which one to vote for.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Right now it is still Biden for both of us.  I also realize that he will agree with whatever BS platform is adopted at the convention - and then ignore it.  The presidential candidates always ignore the platform, especially if they actually get elected.  I also know he is trying to appeal to the Bernie Bros, but it still upsets me to see him adopt a very socialized policy.

For all elections, I gather information up until I push the buttons.   A couple of years ago I was deciding between a fairly good guy I know and another candidate for a local office.  On my way to the polls I saw a yard sign for the first guy and that cinched my vote for his opponent.  Usually I have decided before that, but sometimes it is close.  Like which Republican to vote for in the primaries.  No good choices there.

I fully understand your perspective and normally I would follow something similar.    As you know I typically stress policy stances over character and how I "feel" about a politician.   

But Trump is different.     Way different.     

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

BREAKING: Joe Biden wins the Florida Democratic Primary, NBC News projects. https://nbcnews.to/2QqSQ93

8:00 PM · Mar 17, 2020·SocialFlow

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

BREAKING: Joe Biden wins the Illinois Democratic Primary, NBC News projects. https://nbcnews.to/2vxO4iU

9:24 PM · Mar 17, 2020·SocialFlow

On a roll.....

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

DijesdNB_bigger.jpg

NEW: Joe Biden is the first Democratic candidate to cross the 1,000-delegate threshold, opening a commanding lead over Sen. Sanders after victories in Florida and Illinois on Tuesday night.
9:43 PM · Mar 17, 2020·TweetDeck

Congratulations, Joe!

12 hours ago, TheCid said:

It was the picture he used as his campaign picture.  Won't go into it here, but it was totally inappropriate.  As I said, I was torn between which one to vote for.

Was it the Dixie flag?

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Was it the Dixie flag?

No.  Nothing like that.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

No.  Nothing like that.

Was he exploiting his military service or something similar? (Sorry to keep bugging you about it, but we're all curious, obviously)

56 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Was he exploiting his military service or something similar? (Sorry to keep bugging you about it, but we're all curious, obviously)

OK, he used his official military photograph as his campaign picture.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Yeah, I thought that might be it. I know how that kind of thing annoys you.

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

How much younger was he in that?     I ask because such a photo might just remind people how old he is and thus not wise for a campaign picture\photo.

E.g.   there is a biplane in the background!  (ha ha).

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I thought that might be it. I know how that kind of thing annoys you.

Also possibly against regulations.

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

How much younger was he in that?     I ask because such a photo might just remind people how old he is and thus not wise for a campaign picture\photo.

Had retired a few years earlier after about 40+ years service.

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That reminds me of what happened to our former senator from Kansas Bob Dole.

In the 90s he ran for president against Bill Clinton.

Bob Dole was a great World War II  hero. He distinguished himself in the Italian theater causing him to lose all use of his right arm and hand.

I thought he was a Marvel to continue in politics and be so successful. He's a very determined individual.

When he ran against Clinton for president in 1996 he of course was very proud of his War record and stressed it, even emphasized talking about it.

This hurt him with a lot of younger voters who thought that anybody who had served in World War II was just too old to be president.

I can remember talking with young people in their 20s & 30s, and they didn't even get to his political record, they simply discounted him because he'd been in World War II.

20 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This hurt him with a lot of younger voters who thought that anybody who had served in World War II was just too old to be president.

And Bob Dole was 73 when he ran against Clinton in '96.

Joe Biden will be 78 in November, running against that whippersnapper Trump, who will be 74 in June.

Bidens’ campaign created its own coronavirus public health advisory committee
and he has been in personal contact with Dem leaders in the House and Senate, as well as a number of Democratic governors

to help them coordinate their responses to the pandemic.
=================================================

Biden trashes Trump over coronavirus response: 'Step up and do your job, Mr. President'

On a conference call with reporters,
Biden laid out all the things he felt Trump had done wrong — and what he'd do differently.

:huh:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

106-Gray__2__bigger.jpg

Biden spoke on Monday in the first of what he promises will be regular national briefings. I implore him to do them daily and for the press to cover them, if for no other reason than these are one of the best means of countering disinformation.

4:16 PM · Mar 23, 2020·Twitter Web Client

Biden and Cuomo can both give Americans factual information and positive hope based on realistic expectations.

The last thing America needs is a president who Lies about a pandemic which will affect the lives of all Americans.

• Like 1