Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"A Battle For The Soul Of This Nation" - You Tell 'Em, Joe!

9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Why didn't Obama and you implement that back when you were in charge of the executive branch?    

Should we trust that you will do as President what you didn't do back then?      Something tells me Kamala Harris doesn't believe you.  

(or more likely for the ambitious Harris,  she just called Joe and told him,  'make me your V.P.  candidate or I'll throw you under the bus!').

• Confused 1
16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Real police reform has to come from Congress, state legislatures and the court system.  The president can work with the DOJ to assist, but not a lot they can actually accomplish alone.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Real police reform has to come from Congress, state legislatures and the court system.  The president can work with the DOJ to assist, but not a lot they can actually accomplish alone.

I should have labeled my post satire;   It was satire from the perspective of a potential black voter,  especially younger and progressive ones,   who are dissatisfied with the entire 'system'.       

I don't think such 'police reform' comes from the Federal government and the U.S. Congress.     Local police are under the jurisdiction of the state (like all county and city functions).    Congress can pass laws that set high-level 'standards'  (e.g.  the 1906 law that required states to establish a WC system,  but each state has its own set of WC laws),   but after that Federal powers are limited;   E.g.  it is my understanding Congress doesn't have the power to dictate actual policing procedures for every police department in the USA.   I.e. states would sue the Feds and the states would win since such powers fall under the state.

Feds can cut off funding but even here the U.S. Supreme Count has recently limited the Feds ability to do that;  E.g.  Trumps Executive order to cut of funding to states\cities that are "sanctuary" jurisdictions related to illegal immigration. 

Thus if the best way to get 'real police reform' is at the state \ local level,   AND the areas with the most amount of police abuse towards blacks are run mostly by Dem politicians,   it is these incumbent Dem politicians that need to be defeated in state and local elections Dem primaries and replaced by progressive politicians.     

Note that in the last election in Los Angeles for DA,  the contest was between the black incumbent Lacey,  would was labeled uncle-tom for NOT charging white cops for murdering of black 'victims' against a white male progressive Gascon.    He basically promised NOT to charge cops for a broad range of offensives (Cops Union said may would resign if he won),  and to NOT charge many members of the community for a wide range of offensive.

The point here that in most major cities the battle is about the 'soul' of the Dem party and is mostly generational.   Oh,  and all of those calling for major-change were Bernie Sanders supporters (the only national Dem that 'gets it' in the view of these progressive).

Of course Cid in your area things are a lot different,   but most major U.S. cities with any sizable black population outside of the South are run by Dems.

35 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I should have labeled my post satire;   It was satire from the perspective of a potential black voter,  especially younger and progressive ones,   who are dissatisfied with the entire 'system'.       I don't think such 'police reform' comes from the Federal government and the U.S. Congress.     Local police are under the jurisdiction of the state (like all county and city functions).   

Thanks for the clarification on satire.  Congress, DOJ and the courts can have tremendous influence on what is done by local police.  Almost the entirety of civil rights and voter rights has been dictated by the Federal government.  Many of the regulations on how police can "enforce" the law are dictated by the Federal government.

Ultimately though it is up to the local and state governments to comply with the intent of Federal regulations and court rulings.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Thanks for the clarification on satire.  Congress, DOJ and the courts can have tremendous influence on what is done by local police.  Almost the entirety of civil rights and voter rights has been dictated by the Federal government.  Many of the regulations on how police can "enforce" the law are dictated by the Federal government.

Ultimately though it is up to the local and state governments to comply with the intent of Federal regulations and court rulings.

My understanding is that the Federal courts can have a 'tremendous influence' but the influence of the DOJ and Congress is 'limited'.  

But lets say Congress can have a 'tremendous influence';   why didn't the Obama admin and the Dems in Congress,  pass major law enforcement reform from 2008 - 2010 when they had the power to do so?      Same goes for immigration reform.      The Dems lack of ability to do much in these areas does 'stick' to Biden in the minds of many younger-generation progressives.     

As we have been discussion on the other thread;  these progressive should get out and vote in record numbers for Biden and all downstream Dem candidates in the General election.      But at this time I still see too much bitterness and that typically leads to lower voter turnout.  

·
7h

Biden will have a virtual roundtable today at 1 p.m. with Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter, his campaign says.

Usually it would be the president convening such key mayors.
12 hours ago, jakeem said:

3D503BT__bigger.jpg

This is a great line by Biden:

"You know, we're a nation in pain, but we must not let our pain destroy us. We're a nation enraged, but we cannot let our rage consume us. We're a nation that's exhausted, but we will not allow our exhaustion to defeat us."

10:29 AM · Jun 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

A great leader leads unflinchingly and encourages the people continuously.

21 hours ago, jakeem said:

_oEEIsvx_bigger.jpg

NPR

In a speech today, Joe Biden asked Congress to take up police reform bills outlawing chokeholds and banning the transfer of military weapons to police forces. He also said he would create a police oversight commission in his first 100 days as president.

2:10 PM · Jun 2, 2020·SocialFlow

America wants strong action and positive direction from the presidency,

not reactionary inflammatory hatred that went out a fashion more than 50 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

America wants strong action and positive direction from the presidency,

not reactionary inflammatory hatred that went out a fashion more than 50 years ago.

I know I"m way too cynical but from the perspective of an African-American, say under age 50,  wouldn't the logical question be:  Hey,  Joe,,   why didn't Obama and you push for this between 2008 and 2010 when you had a majority in the House and Senate?

Hey,  Joe,,  you there????

E.g  Today's L.A. Times;     Front page story in the California section about how the State's House Black political caucus is pushing major reform bills!    Uh,  for over 15 years Dems have been a majority and as of 2014 a super majority (over 2\3s).         I.e. nothing prevented them from pushing these bills before this latest event (that didn't even occur in CA of course).   

Rep. Jim Clyburn now gives Sen. Amy Klobuchar zero chance of being picked as Biden's vp running mate because of scrutiny of Minneapolis.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Rep. Jim Clyburn now gives Sen. Amy Klobuchar zero chance of being picked as Biden's vp running mate because of scrutiny of Minneapolis.

The only thing Amy has to decide now is whether or not she wants strawberry jam or grape jelly-- but some people just put butter on their toast.

43 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Scrutiny of CA and Harris's time there as Attorney General might give her 'zero chance' as well (as viewed by the progressive people-of-color wing of the party,  and a wing that now has a lot more 'say' on the selection).

On the subject of why didn't Obama/Biden solve racism in America in they first two years I wonder if it was for the same reasons why Trump did not repeal and replace Obamacare in the first two years.  Was there any meaningful bill that they had the votes for?

I don't really expect an answer to this BTW.  No one in Trump's camp seems to be holding him accountable for his health care promises.

52 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

On the subject of why didn't Obama/Biden solve racism in America in they first two years I wonder if it was for the same reasons why Trump did not repeal and replace Obamacare in the first two years.  Was there any meaningful bill that they had the votes for?

I don't really expect an answer to this BTW.  No one in Trump's camp seems to be holding him accountable for his health care promises.

First no admin (or leader,  or entire country),  can "solve" racism.    Just like a nation can't "solve" humans committing violence acts towards each other;  the best that can be done is a reduction.    (this distinction does matter since I find way too many young people believe that something can be 'solved' (i.e. prevented 100% of the time)  and thus when that doesn't happen,   believe the system is broken \ rigged when it was just an isolated incidence). 

As for 'meaningful bill',   none were put forth since the Dem party focus during those two years was all on providing health insurance;  i.e. the passage of the ACA.   Note that immigration reform (e.g.  passing a DACA bill),  was also ignored.     

Anyhow,  like Obama said this week,   one shouldn't expect much from the Federal government when it comes to law enforcement,  but instead hold state and local officials responsible and vote accordingly.   From Obama this week:

"Yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a US Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it," he wrote. "But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels."

PS:   I believe Obama was also saying:  So folks,  get out and vote for Joe,,,  don't hold lack of progress against him and the Dem party establishment in general.    

• Thanks 1

James, several Trump supporters right here have brought up Obama's failure to curb racism in the police forces as if to give cover to Trump.  I think that you are right.  Obama should not have been expected to solve this problem.  I also include Trump in that sentiment.  However, were they differ is that in moments like these Obama tried to bring people together and to simmer things down whereas Trump continues to divide Americans and to throw gasoline on the fire because it suits his desire for power.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

James, several Trump supporters right here have brought up Obama's failure to curb racism in the police forces as if to give cover to Trump.  I think that you are right.  Obama should not have been expected to solve this problem.  I also include Trump in that sentiment.  However, were they differ is that in moments like these Obama tried to bring people together and to simmer things down whereas Trump continues to divide Americans and to throw gasoline on the fire because it suits his desire for power.

Under Obama the DOJ did launch investigations of local police departments that resulted in  the DOJ entering into agreements with 12 police departments, four times as many as under President George W. Bush.    Under Trump,   AG Jeff Session slowly discontinued these agreements and Session didn't pursue  new ones with any additional police departments.

While the Obama admin could have done more,   it clearly did more than any previous admin and much,  much more than the current one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jakeem said:

NVnHvjJ7_bigger.jpg

JUST IN: Joe Biden is the formal Democratic presidential nominee, per AP.

10:50 PM · Jun 5, 2020·TweetDeck

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

9GYZo8bl_bigger.jpg

Folks, tonight we secured the 1,991 delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination. I'm going to spend every day fighting to earn your vote so that, together, we can win the battle for the soul of this nation.

11:22 PM · Jun 5, 2020·Twitter Web App

The US Constitution depends on it.

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, jakeem said:

1np2ube6_bigger.png

Joe Biden blasts President Trump for failing to offer a comprehensive plan on how to reopen the economy amid the coronavirus pandemic, while also unveiling his own proposals on how how to do so safely.

10:57 PM · Jun 11, 2020·SocialFlow

Sadly most Americans have finally come to the conclusion that this is no time to have

an "amateur hour" president

in the Oval Office.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

Barack Obama, in his first appearance on the 2020 virtual campaign trail with Joe Biden, promised that “help was on the way — if we do the work,” before tearing into President Trump’s “shambolic” approach to government.

9:00 PM · Jun 23, 2020·SocialFlow

12 minutes ago, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

JUST IN: Joe Biden wins New York Democratic Primary, NBC News projects. https://nbcnews.to/2YpFlL8

9:14 PM · Jun 23, 2020·SocialFlow

7 hours ago, jakeem said:

16 minutes ago, jakeem said:

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

JUST IN: Joe Biden wins Kentucky Democratic Primary, NBC News projects. https://nbcnews.to/31caVOu

7:27 PM · Jun 23, 2020·SocialFlow

Way to go, Joe!