Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter L.

Wheeler & Woolsey

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I saw pieces of their films, some of it was amusing, but not a big fan. I always thought if Edna May Oliver and George Burns ever had a child, it would look like Robert Woolsey.

Image result for edna may oliver imagesImage result for george burns images

I think Robert Woolsey had the George Burns look down before George Burns did.  I am thinking of Burns' earliest Vitaphone shorts like Lamb Chops, and going forward, during the same time period that W&W films were being made.

I find W&W type humor a bit closer to some of the everyday people I come across in real life, closer than some of the other comedy acts from this period.  For instance there are two guys I have sometimes seen when I am out.  They both grew up in the same area but didn't know each other until recently, so they have a whole lot of notes to compare.  One is hard of hearing I think.  So they yell back and forth to accommodate the one who is hard of hearing, and with great animation.  The net effect is just like something out of the soundies and pre-codes, which of course I have a hard time not finding amusing.  Nice guys BTW.

Just like listening to these two guys, I wouldn't want to sit through that whole W&W block in real time either.  But I am grateful they put those films out there, just so I have them on hand to watch when I am ready to.  Among those I recorded, there were four that I didn't have in any form yet.  So at the very least this was about them just getting those out there, and I am happy about that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, TopBilled said:

Personal opinion here, but I think THE NITWITS is their best film and the easiest one to watch..even for people who don't appreciate that brand of comedy.

Funny how that is. I haven't seen all their movies, but I saw that one and didn't find it as amusing as most of the others. Probably for a lot of the same reasons you enjoyed it more(?) like, more focus on the plot, which is far more tangible than their regular goofiness...

Among the films of theirs I've seen, my favorite is Diplomaniacs (1933), and I would say why this is my favorite, but I don't know how! :lol: Their movies do not go up in quality, only sideways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those "fainting" spells too, would lead me to believe her death could have been accidental.  There's often some sensationalism when celebrities die ambiguously, like the false stories surrounding the death of '60's rock star BOBBY FULLER in '66.  Seems he WASN'T found in his car beaten to a pulp with a bellyful of gasoline!  :o  Like the story going around shortly after.....

Sepiatone(responding to a post on previous page I guess.....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kay said:

Funny how that is. I haven't seen all their movies, but I saw that one and didn't find it as amusing as most of the others. Probably for a lot of the same reasons you enjoyed it more(?) like, more focus on the plot, which is far more tangible than their regular goofiness...

Among the films of theirs I've seen, my favorite is Diplomaniacs (1933), and I would say why this is my favorite, but I don't know how! :lol: Their movies do not go up in quality, only sideways.

Well, the main reason I like THE NITWITS is because of George Stevens' direction. I like KENTUCKY KERNELS too, which Stevens also directed. I think the editing and the stunts are better with Stevens in charge, than we see in the duo's films with other directors. Plus by the mid-30s, RKO's production values seem stronger.  In the case of THE NITWITS, there's the added bonus of Betty Grable.

It's been awhile since I've seen DIPLOMANIACS, which I admit is a clever title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the bartender in this scene was James Finlayson but after going to the IMDB it looks like it's Monte Collins. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 8:29 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I thought the bartender in this scene was James Finlayson but after going to the IMDB it looks like it's Monte Collins. 

Bartender is definitely Monte Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:23 AM, TomJH said:

One film of the comedy team which, I believe, has yet to be shown by TCM: So This Is Africa (1933), made on a rare loan out to Columbia...

"So This Is Africa" has been shown on TCM, but not since 1994. They ran it 7 (seven!) times between July and December 1994, but not once since then.

"So This Is Africa" on TCM in 1994:

July 9

August 22

September 7

October 21

November 8

November 22

December 17

They ran several other rare (at the time) Columbia features during their first year, and although it took a while in some cases, they have finally repeated all of them....but not "So This Is Africa". Come on, TCM, what's the story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, TomJH said:

Wheeler and Woolsey made only feature films together with one exception, a 1931 short called Oh! Oh! Cleopatra. Apparently only the audio portion of this short still exists, unfortunately. I found this on You Tube:

 

The film exists complete, in fact that audio recording that is on YouTube is from a cassette recording the former owner of the film made for me many years ago, from his 16mm print. He passed away several years ago and the print has found a home with another good friend of mine. I feel very fortunate that both the former and current owners of the film have run it for me a few times, since I know that a lot of W&W fans are frustrated that it is the only one of their films that they can not get to see.

In addition to the good condition 16mm print in my friend's collection, reportedly there is also a print at the BFI in London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the W&W films that were scheduled, I think my favorite is the Cuckoos. W&W's Vaudeville-ian style was a bit antiquated even for the 1930s but I think they shine through in this one. My favorite gag is probably they try to drink the beer at the border crossing. :lol: A few of the scenes at the hotel aren't the most pc but nothing too bad. I also like that TCM showed a copy with the two-strip technicolor left in. Overall, I agree with the OP of this thread and am very grateful for the scheduling of these films.

220px-TheCuckoosMoviePoster.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

The film exists complete, in fact that audio recording that is on YouTube is from a cassette recording the former owner of the film made for me many years ago, from his 16mm print. He passed away several years ago and the print has found a home with another good friend of mine. I feel very fortunate that both the former and current owners of the film have run it for me a few times, since I know that a lot of W&W fans are frustrated that it is the only one of their films that they can not get to see.

In addition to the good condition 16mm print in my friend's collection, reportedly there is also a print at the BFI in London.

That`s great news, musicalnovelty, but does your friend have any plans to make Oh! Oh! Cleopatra available for the general public. It would be highly unfortunate if something happened to his print without any copies having been made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, TopBilled said:

Personal opinion here, but I think THE NITWITS is their best film and the easiest one to watch..even for people who don't appreciate that brand of comedy.

But shhh, don't tell anyone.

screen-shot-2019-04-23-at-7.21.42-am.jpe

I actually had some down time that day and decided to watch this and it really is a good film.  Good enough that I decided to watch several of the others on On Demand the week after.  I recant.  I don't know if a flip was switched or TCM just happened to save a number of their better films for that day but I enjoyed them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off let me say that I have seen most of Wheeler and Woolsey's films... count me as NOT A FAN. 👎

I believe that their attempts at humor were always so forced and scripted that they were just UNFUNNY. And to add to their detriment, their supporting cast usually had no interesting, talented, or attractive characters. Lines that were supposed to be funny MAY have been funny in 1937, but their material has been done so often and better by comedy teams like the Three Stooges, the Marx Brothers, or even Abbott & Costello, that they are just tired old routines to me.

BTW: has anyone else noticed the resemblance of Bert Wheeler and...

image-w240.jpg?1516722367

Brian Kilmeade of Fox News?

4105EzZM3aL._US230_.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who's ever wasted their time watching Fox news might have.

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Anyone who's ever wasted their time watching Fox news might have.

Sepiatone

If you don't mind - I'd like to keep Politics out of my posts. This is the General Discussions Board, and my post is completely appropriate... yours is OT and not. I would much rather you lambast me re my opinion re W&W.

I would have made the same comparison had someone looked like CNN's Don 'Easy Squeezy' Lemon. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOU opened that door Rumann.  You assumed more people here are familiar with the talking heads on Fox News AND CNN than there probably is.  And besides.....

I see more resemblance( based on hairline and eyes)  between that photo of Bert Wheeler and a very young and slimmer SPENCER TRACY.

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

YOU opened that door Rumann.  You assumed more people here are familiar with the talking heads on Fox News AND CNN than there probably is.  And besides.....

I see more resemblance( based on hairline and eyes)  between that photo of Bert Wheeler and a very young and slimmer SPENCER TRACY.

Sepiatone

I don't see the resemblance with Spence at all, but thanks for your attempt at civility.

BTW it would have been more effective writing had you emphasized WASTED: 

   "Anyone who's ever wasted their time watching Fox news might have."

Prolly won't be chatting with you again. Ta ta...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Differing POVs...

I thought the emphasis was better used on "watching".  

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

I’d watch this one again…

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4Sp1CFaFaXer1HGVHu6Y

…for a laugh. 💋

 

I have watched that one. With all respects, I have seen all I care to see of W&W - I'll pass and watch a timeless Marx Brothers or Three Stooges comedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...