Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brief Encounter Fan Dedication

Det Jim McLeod

Did anyone see this last night? I love the film and the dedication is one of my favorites of the ones I saw.

The young man dedicated it to his mother and says his whole family are classic movie fans. One of the more interesting comments was when he said it was almost a "noir", I am guessing he said that  due to the dark shadows and rain drenched streets, also the scenes of Laura character as she narrates where the lighting goes dark around her. He also likes the fact that the stars Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard are not glamorous movie types. I also liked that the atmosphere is very ordinary and realistic, many of my favorite scenes are in the dour looking train station cafe. The comedy relief is handled by the Cockney conductor and the sharp tongued cafe owner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Did anyone see this last night? I love the film and the dedication is one of my favorites of the ones I saw.

The young man dedicated it to his mother and says his whole family are classic movie fans. One of the more interesting comments was when he said it was almost a "noir", I am guessing he said that  due to the dark shadows and rain drenched streets, also the scenes of Laura character as she narrates where the lighting goes dark around her. He also likes the fact that the stars Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard are not glamorous movie types. I also liked that the atmosphere is very ordinary and realistic, many of my favorite scenes are in the dour looking train station cafe. The comedy relief is handled by the Cockney conductor and the sharp tongued cafe owner. 

I watched the first half last night (I've seen the film many times);   just a very well made and overall solid film.    Art at it's finest.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this film is so beautiful in it's simplicity. I miss that quality in Lean's saga films.

The fan dedication was charming. I come from a classic film loving family, as well. We can go on for hours!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings