Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spauldingd

The Eyes of Orson Welles

I follow director Mark Cousins on Twitter and he posted that his Orson Welles film would be shown on May 13th followed by several Orson Welles films.  You may remember Mark from his Story of Film documentary series shown on TCM a few years ago. I’ve been wanting to see this for a while and thought others might as well. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, spauldingd said:

I follow director Mark Cousins on Twitter and he posted that his Orson Welles film would be shown on May 13th followed by several Orson Welles films.  You may remember Mark from his Story of Film documentary series shown on TCM a few years ago. I’ve been wanting to see this for a while and thought others might as well. 

Thank you for mentioning this.

16 hours ago, spauldingd said:

Gee?...I wonder?...if Mark Cousins?...will be narrating?...this film of his?...too?

(...in that hushed little Irish lilt sing-songy manner, that with the upturn of the inflection of his voice after every few words in each sentence, sounds as if he's asking multiple questions within them, that is)

• Haha 1

Well?...

...yes?...it appears?...he does?

• Haha 1

Sorry spauldingd, but I tried, I REALLY tried, watching Mr. Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey a few years back when TCM presented it, but for the LIFE of me, I could barely get through the first two installments of it, and primarily because I would find Mr. Cousins' hushed and monotone narration, and that consistent "lifting" cadence of his voice, started putting me to SLEEP!

Yep, and although I found some of his talking points interesting in that documentary of his(when I was AWAKE, that is) I thought what a damn shame it was that he didn't get someone else with a better ability at narration (Irish accent or not) to tell his thoughts and opinions about the history of cinema.

(...of course I suppose it then couldn't have been done in the First Person manner, but still, DAMN that guy's voice was/is like Sominex to me!) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry spauldingd, but I tried, I REALLY tried, watching Mr. Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey a few years back when TCM presented it, but for the LIFE of me, I could only get through the first two installments of it, and primarily because I would find Mr. Cousins' hushed and monotone narration, and that consistent "lifting" cadence of his voice, started putting me to SLEEP!

Yep, and although I found some of his talking points interesting in that documentary of his(when I was AWAKE, that is) I thought what a damn shame it was that he didn't get someone else with a better ability at narration to tell his thoughts and opinions about the history of cinema.

(...of course I suppose it then couldn't have been done in the First Person manner, but still, DAMN that guy's voice was/is like Sominex to me!) 

Lol. I hear that a lot. His voice can drive some people crazy. Maybe his voice reminds me of some my old Irish relatives but I find it really comforting and need to keep coffee close at hand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, spauldingd said:

Lol. I hear that a lot. His voice can drive some people crazy. Maybe his voice reminds me of some my old Irish relatives but I find it really comforting and need to keep coffee close at hand. 

LOL

Well, a guy can only have so many cups o' java, ya know. ;)

(...especially later in the evening)

• Haha 1

Does Orson Welles catch his bus?

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Yep Mr.Sixes, and just an hour ago or so ago after attempting with only MODICUM success to stay the hell awake while listening to Mr. Cousins' lackluster, whispering, monotone and unchanging inflection and cadence while narrating THIS latest documentary of his, when I got to THIS part of this article you linked me to here:

"Cousins, who narrates in his distinctive, playful Irish brogue...."

...I think I'll stick with my above adjectives of "lackluster", "whispering", "monotone" and "unchanging inflection and cadence" instead of that whole "distinctive" and "playful" Irish brogue thing the writer of this article chose to use.

(...in other words, and ONCE AGAIN here...Mark...DUDE...do yourself a BIG favor here and get yourself someone who has the ability to NARRATE your documentaries from now on, 'cause THIS now makes TWICE you have pretty much put me to sleep while listening to you drone on with your sometimes interesting ideas and thoughts and nice visuals contained within them, PLEASE...nope SORRY, but you're NOT a good narrator..."Irish brogue" or NOT!!!)

• Haha 1

Okay, and now that I've gotten Mark Cousins' vocal limitations off my chest yet again...

I have to say I found the following image that he used a couple of times in his Orson Welles documentary rather interesting.

It's a (looks like chalk) rendering Welles did while he lived in Sedona AZ...

thunder-with-the-rocks.jpg?w=739  

• Like 3

I watched a little of The Eyes of Orson Welles, but there was so much of The Meandering Mumbled Musings of Mark Cousins that I could never get into it. Cousins' comments about events that had happened since Welles died were excruciatingly trite. Maybe the next time Cousins makes a film about Welles, it could actually be about Welles?

• Thanks 1

I tried to watch it and gave up. I'm sure it was his labor of love. The POV footage of hands picking up Welles' sketches and paintings and showing them to the camera created the effect of two people just rummaging through his possessions.

• Haha 1

I haven't seen it yet but it may be worth a viewing with the sound off.  I caught a few minutes and the narration was downright annoying.

8 hours ago, jameselliot said:

the effect of two people just rummaging through his possessions.

That, along with self-narration tell me this guy needs to bite the bullet & hire a professional. There are so many talented voice people out there (I know, I lived with one!)

I'm finding with all the self publishing that goes on (no thanks to) YouTube, everyone thinks they can craft anything others would be interested in watching. WRONG.

Why do you think there's such a thing as film school? Broadcasting school? ART school?

Everyone has opinions, but you need to learn how to effectively touch the audience to engage them within the parameters of the medium. Some make it look easy, mostly from experience. School offers great training & experience.

Thankfully I've never seen any of Mark Cousin's productions. But hearing your impressions, he sounds like an egoist who can't trust collaboration.

I love the program and for a long time I have tried to find a clip of him putting on makeup  and you showed part of it and the where it was at  Dean Martin 1968  I found the full clip on youtube  Thanks for heading me in the right direction, I loved watching the transformation again  50 years later  

I guess if I could find someone to give me money to globe trot around the world talking

about my beloved object, I'd take the deal too. I watched the whole thing, though I was

tempted a few times to switch over to Perry Mason. Cousins had some interesting ideas

about Little Orson Annie, though I don't know if there were enough to fill up 110 minutes.

But he is obviously head over heels about Welles. There's no doubt that both Welles and

Cousins have their pretentious sides, so go for it. His Irish brogue didn't bother me that

much, sometimes it was amusing trying to decipher some words, like per for poor. 

Maybe some night TCM will show it "back-to-back" with THE EYES OF LAURA MARS.  ;)

Sepiatone