Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook : 1948

1948 saw Fox hit over 40 films for the first time since the early years of the war. This was attained through many independent B pickups, and more films. On we go.

The Creeper sounded like a variant on Cat People with a man turning into a feline killer.

MV5BYzY2MWRlNjYtZDhiMi00MGU5LWI4NzYtMTYx

The Tender Years found Joe E. Brown crusading against animal abuse.

The_Tender_Years_poster.jpg

Call Northside 777 was a famed noir with James Stewart cracking an old case through a classified ad for the telephone number of the title. Filmed on location too in Chicago, a rarity for the time.

Callnorthside777.jpg

Musical romance was on the menu in You Were Meant for Me with Dan Dailey and Jeanne Crain.

You_Were_Meant_for_Me_FilmPoster.jpeg

Let's Live Again was a B comedy with a possible plot thread about alleged reincarnation.

Let's_Live_Again_poster.jpg

Clifton Webb originated his famed multi-film role as Lynn Belvedere in Sitting Pretty, and his lemony one liners made his character one of the funniest movie creations of 1948. He was Oscar nominated.

Sitting_Pretty_(1948_film).jpg

Half Past Midnight was a murder mystery.

Half_Past_Midnight_film_poster.jpg

The Challenge returned the detective Bulldog Drummond to the screen, this time played by Tom Conway.

MV5BZjk0NWY0NjctMDQ0Ni00MjllLThlYjItMjAw

Arthur Takes Over was a comedy about a marriage that was still unknown to the in-laws.

Arthur_Takes_Over_poster.jpg

Scudda Hoo Scudda Hay was a tale of horses and romance. Film might be most famous today for having its title appear on a marquee in a scene in the 1989 film Driving Miss Daisy.

MV5BZTYyNTEzOTgtYjA0OC00NzhkLTliM2MtMmRj

Vivien Leigh took a crack at the famed title role in an adaptation of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, given a moody new version here straight from England.

AnnaKarenina_Leigh.jpeg

Victure Mature headed out West for Fury at Furnace Creek

Fury_at_Furnace_Creek_Poster.jpg

Tom returned as Bulldog in 13 Lead Soldiers.

330px-13_Lead_Soldiers_-_film_poster.jpg

Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney sought to defect from the soviets to Canada in The Iron Curtain.

Poster_of_the_movie_The_Iron_Curtain.jpg

Meet Me at Dawn was a comedy about a dueller.

%22Meet_Me_at_Dawn%22.jpg

The Counterfeiters was a return to the back alleys of Noir.

The_Counterfeiters_poster.jpg

Green Grass of Wyoming was the third and final of the Flicka related trilogy, although Fox would bring the mare's name out again one last time theatrically in 2006.

Greengrassofwyoming.jpg

Horses still flashed across the screen in a big way in the following B film, The Winner's Circle.

The_Winner's_Circle_poster.jpg

Give My Regards to Broadway found Dan Dailey as the head of a vaudeville family that seemed on the brink of going their separate ways.

MV5BOGQ4ZDg3MjUtZGVjYy00ZmQ4LWFkNDUtYzky

The Street with No Name was prime Noir, with Richard Widmark essentially playing a variant on his Kiss of Death character and excelling again. The story itself was good  with a fine finale.

Street_with_no_name_poster.jpeg

The Checkered Coat was noir with a psychological thriller backing.

The_Checkered_Coat_poster.jpg

Deep Waters took to the sea with Dana Andrews and Jean Peters, who would be much featured at Fox in this upcoming period of time.

Deep_Waters_poster.jpg

Rex Harrison broke out of jail in Escape, although Peggy Cummins wished that he hadn't.

Escape_FilmPoster.jpeg

Fighting Back had crime mixed with the element of a soldier's difficulty returning home.

MV5BMTZmNDdiMmMtOWFiMC00MzJjLTljNzEtOTdk

The Walls of Jericho was a romantic melodrama with a distinguished quartet of stars.

The_Walls_of_Jericho_poster.jpg

That Lady in ermine was intended for Ernst Lubitsch who passed away early in filming, Otto Premenger took over, and the film was charming and likable, and quite funny in its fantasy elements.

ThatLadyInErmine.jpg

Night Wind was a B, and it obviously involved a dog, but I can't find any information else wise about it at the moment.

MV5BNjQ5M2M5MTYtZjljZi00ZDI5LWFjMzYtNzNl

The Gay Intruders was a comedy involving a bickering couple who likely made up by the end.

MV5BNWNjZmVkMzktYzFjMy00MDNjLThjZDktNzY2

Cecil Kellaway was Oscar-nominated playing a leprechaun in the romantic comedy fantasy The Luck of the Irish.

LuckIrish1948.jpg

Road House was great for fans of Ida Lupino, who even got to sing here. The heavily spiced melodrama literally drip[ped with atmosphere and was a riveting viewing.

Roadhouse1948.jpg

War was brought to the fore in Jungle Patrol.
Jungle_Patrol_poster.jpg

Victor Mature and Richard Conte covered the noir beat in Cry of the City.

Cry_of_the_City.jpg

Apartment for Peggy had its moments in telling the tale of a couple whose friendship brightens the life of a lonely man. William Holden and Jeanne Crain were the couple, Edmund Gwenn was the lonely man.

Apartment_for_Peggy_VideoCover.png

Dan Dailey reteamed with Betty Grable in the musical When My Baby Smiles at Me, and in the process was nominated for an Oscar.

Whenmybabysmilesatme.jpg

the Snake Pit was the one Fox film up for Best Picture that year, a searing film with Olivia De Havilland fighting against psychiatric ills.

Snakepit1948_62862n.jpg

Ruth Roman had one of her earliest leads in Belle Starr's Daughter.

Belle_Starr's_Daughter_poster.jpg

Bungalow 13 was a PI mystery.

MV5BMTc4MzQwMTA2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODUw

That Wonderful Urge had Tyrone Power in a remake in one of his own films (Love is News). Gene Tierney was his leading lady this time.

MV5BMTc4MzQwMTA2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODUw

There Was a Woman was a Brit crime film concerning the deadly head of a seemingly normal family.

This_Was_a_Woman_(1948_film).jpg

Unfaithfully Yours was a dark comedy, the first of two films at Fox for Preston Sturges. It has been much acclaimed over the years.

UnfaithfullyYours.jpg

Trouble Preferred was a crime film with a difference. The sleuths were female this time around. It also closed the year.

MV5BNTE3NmZmMWYtZGE3YS00M2E4LWEwYjQtNTYw

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings