Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Different Song title in the UK............

DickLindsay

Hello, I recently picked up a nice piece of British sheet music with a YOUNG Judy Garland from the film LISTEN DARLING.

THe song is TEN PINS IN THE SKY.... this is what she sings in the film, and this is also what Judy sings on the Decca 78RPM.

SO, take a look at the British sheet music....  the song is entitled "NINE pins in the sky"!  I don't get it!  I asked a British friend of mine if the bowl with nine pins in stead of ten, but they don't do that!  any thoughts??!?

ninepins.png

Nine-Pin Bowling is the prevalent bowling game throughout much of Europe.  Check out the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-pin_bowling 

Of course, the game of Nine-Pins is mentioned in the story of Rip Van Winkle and that story is set in what is now New York State.  This is from Wikipedia:

"Rip Van Winkle" is set in the years before and after the American Revolutionary War in a village at the foot of New York's Catskill Mountains where Rip Van Winkle, a Dutch-American villager, lives. One autumn day, Van Winkle wanders into the mountains with his dog Wolf to escape his wife's nagging. He hears his name called out and sees a man wearing antiquated Dutch clothing; he is carrying a keg up the mountain and requires help. Together, the men and Wolf proceed to a hollow in which Rip discovers the source of thunderous noises: a group of ornately dressed, silent, bearded men who are playing nine-pins

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings