Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ma and Pa Kettle stink

That's enough for me, I'm on the first flight to Texas tomorrow. You don't need to house me, feed me, or pick me up at the airport. Just give me ten minutes alone with your private DVD of Marjorie...au naturale...*sigh*

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, for a silly typo. Back to Marjie Main!

I don't have Marjorie Main naked, but I've got the frightening sight of Carol Channing doing a striptease in *Skidoo*.

And if you want a man, there's that scene of a 55-year-old Edward G. Robinson half naked in a bathtub, smoking his cigar, in *Key Largo*.

I like the Ma and Pa Kettle movies. It's not Grapes of Wrath, nor is it the other extreme The Beverly Hillbillies. They are just nice little series movies, not offensive, just cute little pieces from a period. Marjorie Main is always enjoyable, and was quite funny in the one where she tries to seduce the men at the police station. Percy Kilbridge brought a nice, reserved charm to Pa Kettle, something you needed to play opposite Main. Saying Ma and Pa Kettle "stink" is your opnion and one it seemed you just had to share with everyone here. I happen to disagree.

Personally, I don't care much for the comedic gifts of ZaSu Pitts, but, again, that is my opinion. However, I certainly will not start a thread saying she stank and my only text in the opening post is "Boring." There certainly should be more something a little more thought than that put into it.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> I like the Ma and Pa Kettle movies. It's not Grapes of Wrath, nor is it the other extreme The Beverly Hillbillies. They are just nice little series movies, not offensive, just cute little pieces from a period. Marjorie Main is always enjoyable, and was quite funny in the one where she tries to seduce the men at the police station. Percy Kilbridge brought a nice, reserved charm to Pa Kettle, something you needed to play opposite Main. Saying Ma and Pa Kettle "stink" is your opnion and one it seemed you just had to share with everyone here. I happen to disagree.

> Personally, I don't care much for the comedic gifts of ZaSu Pitts, but, again, that is my opinion. However, I certainly will not start a thread saying she stank and my only text in the opening post is "Boring." There certainly should be more something a little more thought than that put into it.

In what way is what you just wrote any better than what zasupittsfan wrote?

> {quote:title=mndean4709 wrote:}{quote}> In what way is what you just wrote any better than what zasupittsfan wrote?

I wasn't trying for "any better" but then I was also stating to zasupittsfan I would not start an entire thread about ZaSu Pitts called "ZaSu Pitts stinks" and starting it out with one post that simply said, "Boring!" I would speak a lot more if I was starting such a negative thread...but I don't like starting negative threads like the OP. If anything, starting a negative thread, inserting a one word opening post and then never taking part in any followup conversation coming from that is akin to somethng a hit and run troll would do. What's your beef?

*In what way is what you just wrote any better than what zasupittsfan wrote?* - mndean4709

I wanted to say the exact same thing as filmlover, though my response would have been much less eloquent. Since I'm often accused of driving off new posters, I said nothing.

These movies have been requested for years, and TCM finally showed them. Yay! Rather than offer a one-word dismissal of the *Kettles* , we should be celebrating that TCM still listens to our requests. No matter how hard I try, I can't get that last sentence to sound correct grammatically. Slide rules and math, no problem...

If you can't say anything nice, especially without explaining your reasoning, don't say anything at all. Please. And no, that wasn't directed at you, mndean, just the negative Nellies around here.

Message was edited by: patful, for clarity

Filmlover explained in eloquent fashion his position. You say your response would have been ineloquent. I think the Message Board needs both the ying and the yang of responses to someone who tries to start a flaming war on this Board. (Speak in your own way, with your bad self, Patful! ;-) It's entertaining).

We all definitely can have a difference of opinion. But it was pretty obvious what the O.P. motivation was and I gotta tell ya...we're all pretty savvy to that M.O. around these here parts.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=mndean4709 wrote:}{quote}> In what way is what you just wrote any better than what zasupittsfan wrote?

>

> I wasn't trying for "any better" but then I was also stating to zasupittsfan I would not start an entire thread about ZaSu Pitts called "ZaSu Pitts stinks" and starting it out with one post that simply said, "Boring!" I would speak a lot more if I was starting such a negative thread...but I don't like starting negative threads like the OP. If anything, starting a negative thread, inserting a one word opening post and then never taking part in any followup conversation coming from that is akin to somethng a hit and run troll would do. What's your beef?

It may be a hit and run troll or someone with a terse explanation of how they felt. Remember, brevity is the soul of wit (which make us both, or at least me, witless). Not everyone knows these sorts of films (the hick small-town B comedy) were a staple especially into the '40s and '50s. I grew up on them as a small child.

What I mean is why is one diss any better than another? It'd been better to call troll instead of going after another well-liked actor (just because of the OP's nick), thus perhaps precipitating another, even more irrelevant argument.

As I mentioned earlier, I can't dismiss the films because they were a lot better put together than other, similar B's I've seen, but they really should have been spaced out more so the corn didn't grow too thick. Series films often have the problem that seeing many of them in one go is kind of an enervating experience. Contra the Kettle films, the Perry Masons didn't have that issue, as they were very different in tone and/or actors and so can be watched without growing boredom. The Kettle films originally came out around once a year, so your Kettle does was monitored and you couldn't OD on them.

There is something enjoyable about a simple unadorned opinion. Yes, the reasons

for finding the Kettle movies dull might have been enumerated, but the basic idea

seems pretty clear. Boring is boring. Sometimes it's that easy, yawl.

There was a brief series of those. Nothing special, I didn't think. I've seen the one called "Pig in a Pickle" (1954).

Though the settings are similar, I don't recall it being obvious that these cartoons were directly inspired by the Ma and Pa Kettle characters.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Ma & Pa Kettle stink, but it was certainly embarrassing to watch them a couple of weeks ago. I don't know--showing how lazy Pa was and how overbearing Ma was so demeaning, at least to me. I just didn't find them as funny as I remember from being a kid.

I've had to be out of town a lot lately so I haven't been able to post--we all know how finicky this board can be without a proper browser.