• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Robert Osbourne’s Birthday

29 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

May 3rd 1932

Ah - that explains why the TCM primetime theme Friday evening is "Robert Osborne's Picks".

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, David Guercio said:

When is Robert Osbourne’s birthday again?

Oh, and one more thing here, Dave.

Bob's last name didn't include that superfluous letter 'u' in it, ya know.

(...nope, he wasn't British...nor Canadian for that matter)

;)

• Like 1

I enjoyed seeing Robert's intro to tonight's movie. I hope they do them now and then. He set the standard and everyone else is fine but there is only one Robert.

• Like 3

I love his intros/outros, too. I especially like his rapport with his co-hosts of The Essentials. I found his thoughts on the budget restrictions in CAT PEOPLE hilarious! ~ Happy Birthday, Mr. Osborne.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, movieman1957 said:

I enjoyed seeing Robert's intro to tonight's movie. I hope they do them now and then. He set the standard and everyone else is fine but there is only one Robert.

I've been asking for this type of programming for years. I am so grateful to see the retro RO introductions again.

Set the standard indeed!!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many had the chance to see The Best of Private Screenings special that was on Monday evening, but it demonstrated once again that Robert was also a superb interviewer.  Robert had total recall of the facts of a person's career and was able to get his subjects to fully relax and open up to him.  There may now be rights issues involved, but I really wish they could show the complete series of Private Screenings episodes again as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I'm not sure how many had the chance to see The Best of Private Screenings special that was on Monday evening, but it demonstrated once again that Robert was also a superb interviewer.  Robert had total recall of the facts of a person's career and was able to get his subjects to fully relax and open up to him.  There may now be rights issues involved, but I really wish they could show the complete series of Private Screenings episodes again as well.

I wonder about the rights issues too. The Private Screening with Walter Mirisch back in 2008 has only shown two times, and I think the second showing was an encore presentation the same night it premiered. There must be rights issues there.

I believe the Private Screenings with Rod Steiger has rights issues as well. That hasn't aired in well over 10 years.

Which reminds me...

Usually in April we get Ben's version of a Private Screenings episode, which is a recorded interview with a film star he would have done at the TCM Film Festival one year earlier.  (For example, the interview Ben did with Micheal Douglas at the 2017 Film Festival came out in April 2018.)  But April 2019 has come and gone and the schedules through July have been announced and I don't think there has been any listing for a Film Festival interview.  Are those now a thing of the past as well?

On 5/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Which reminds me...

Usually in April we get Ben's version of a Private Screenings episode, which is a recorded interview with a film star he would have done at the TCM Film Festival one year earlier.  (For example, the interview Ben did with Micheal Douglas at the 2017 Film Festival came out in April 2018.)  But April 2019 has come and gone and the schedules through July have been announced and I don't think there has been any listing for a Film Festival interview.  Are those now a thing of the past as well?

There was one this week, but because of the earlier specials, it didn't air until almost 4 AM. It was the one with Norman Lloyd (of Saboteur fame, or St Elsewhere on TV). It's on Watch TCM through Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

There was one this week, but because of the earlier specials, it didn't air until almost 4 AM. It was the one with Norman Lloyd (of Saboteur fame, or St Elsewhere on TV). It's on Watch TCM through Tuesday.

Thanks for your reply.  I think the Norman Lloyd interview was recorded during the 2015 Film Festival and originally broadcast in November of 2016 as part of a celebration of his 102nd birthday, amazing!  I was hoping for a new interview this year which would have been recorded during the 2018 Film Festival.  I did not attend but have seen pictures of Mel Brooks, Martin Scorsese and Cicely Tyson among others in attendance, so I had assumed one of them would sit down with Ben for the show.  Since the Norman Lloyd interview was not aired until November of 2016, perhaps they have a reason to hold back an interview for some other tie-in later this year.  One can always hope.

Some of the Private Screenings are on DVD:

Jane Powell (1995) Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Volume 3

Esther Williams (1996) Esther Williams TCM Spotlight Volume 1

Robert Mitchum & Jane Russell (1996) Robert Mitchum Signature Collection

Mickey Rooney (1997) Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection

Liza Minnelli (2010) Conversations with Robert Osborne

Robert Osborne (2014)  Conversations with Robert Osborne

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Some of the Private Screenings are on DVD:

Jane Powell (1995) Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Volume 3

Esther Williams (1996) Esther Williams TCM Spotlight Volume 1

Robert Mitchum & Jane Russell (1996) Robert Mitchum Signature Collection

Mickey Rooney (1997) Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection

Liza Minnelli (2010) Conversations with Robert Osborne

Robert Osborne (2014)  Conversations with Robert Osborne

I wonder if the Mitchum & Russell presentation will include the interview Robert did with them.

Mitchum was in a foul mood and while the interview was a bomb there is still interest there (as it relates to how-bad-can-this-get?,,,,  yea,,  that bad).

I know that the Lauren Bacall interview was rerun bace in 2012 or 2013 whern she was SOTM. I remember that because it included a clip from her Oscar nominated turn in 1996's The Mirror Has Two Faces, which has not , as of yet, ever aired on TCM, even though it was Bacall's only acting nod. 

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wonder if the Mitchum & Russell presentation will include the interview Robert did with them.

Mitchum was in a foul mood and while the interview was a bomb there is still interest there (as it relates to how-bad-can-this-get?,,,,  yea,,  that bad). 

It's been awhile since I watched it, but if I recall, the entire interview is present in all of its glory. The same thing with the Mickey Rooney interview. Everything is there including the part where he gets animated all over again about the argument he got into with the director of "Killer McCoy" back in 1947.

• Thanks 1