Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Predicting the future: films in the 2020s

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

I predict THIS guy will return from the dead and will once again begin making predictions...

Hi!  My name's Cassandra!  :)

cassandra.jpg

Nobody BELIEVES me when I say "Marvel superheroes movies will be dead in two to three years, after the studio discovers the mainstream audience was only following their interested in their one big pop-culture-validated binge-serial, that the studio didn't have anything big enough to follow it, and no one's heard/cared of the 'diverse' heroes they want to dig up...And now that Fox has wrapped up its competing heroes, Warner and Sony are next to give up!"  But that's okay...I'm used to it by now!

(And then they start throwing around accusations of "Sexist!  Misogynist!  Tyrannical patriarchy!" when I bring up the divisive fan-backlash over "Captain Marvel", and ask whether it drove the fatal-blow wedge into the fans the same way Kathleen Kennedy and "Last Jedi"/"Rogue One" officially Killed Star Wars at Disney, and "Solo" paid the price.  I've asked the question "Was Brie Larson officially 'the Rian Johnson of Marvel'?", and I have yet to hear an answer that wasn't diehard fan or gender-motivated, or flipping "Endgame" dollar bills in my face.  Yeah, and I'm waiting for SW: Episode IX too, but after that...)

Interesting posts. Has anyone seen the list of films that are already scheduled for next year?

Ohh, yah--Settle in folks, because in '20-'22, we're in a state of flux:

For literally eighteen years, studios have had their dearest wish come true:  Warner discovered Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in '01, and a few years later Lionsgate/Summit discovered Hunger Games and Twilight, and then Disney got The Avengers vs. Thanos rolling.  What do these all have in common?  A) These books were already written, thus cutting out most of the screenwriter's work, B ) they were already serialized with "built-in" sequels you had to return to next year like Flash Gordon cliffhangers, C) they had audience identification from the moment the project was announced, and D) the filmmakers were filming them all at once, to deliver one every year by the clock...So, if you were a studio, you not only knew what big audience property you were showing this year, you knew for a fact what your big movie would be NEXT year.  The new studio strategy was not to announce one big movie for the year, but to literally announce the next five years of big franchise tentpoles, so you knew what you'd be seeing in 2022.

Warner thought they were set for life:  They had Harry Potter, Frodo and Batman!  Until Harry fought Voldemort, Frodo destroyed the ring, and DC went for that Justice League movie right away...What could Warner do for an encore?  MORE Harry Potter!...Okayyy, that didn't work out.  MORE Tolkien!...Sorry, sorry, yeah, "Hobbit trilogy", we apologize for that.  MORE Batman!...No, honestly, we've got a new script this time, and we're talking to Ben Affleck's agent, and okay, so you liked Wonder Woman better--No worry, we've got one for her, too!

Want to watch the "Addiction withdrawal" death-throes at the studios over the next three to four years?  Just keep your eyes on Warner:  They've accepted that their former Big Three are dead, and now Old Mother Warner is searching their bare cupboard for more audience-identification "House brand" properties they can turn into the Next Big Warner Franchise:  Wonder why we're getting a Beetlejuice musical on Broadway?  Wonder why we're getting another Scooby-Doo movie, with the other Hanna-Barbera characters making cameos?  Wonder why we're getting a "Young Willy Wonka" prequel (mixing the Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp canons)?  Wonder why the insane flippin' HECK "subliminal" Wizard of Oz lines showed up in the latest Godzilla 2 trailer ("Mothra, Rodan & Ghidrah...Oh, my") while Over the Rainbow played in the background??  Remember any classic lines from "A Christmas Story"?--Warner will make sure you do.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sequels like GHOSTBUSTERS 3 and remakes like DUNE. Also movies inspired by classic televisions programs, such as FANTASY ISLAND. Plus we're getting the 25th James Bond film next April.

All from Sony:  Seems like that, er, LAST attempt to make a "house brand" out of Ghostbusters (and maybe tie Jumanji, Goosebumps and Men in Black into a "crossover universe") didn't quite pan out like they thought it would, and now, like Warner, they're scouring the cupboards, trying to find their poor dog a bone.

Fantasy Island was an old Eddie Murphy memo left around from the 90's, but, hey, it's Columbia TV!...And so is one more bash at Charlie's Angels.  (And so was that misfired "Bewitched" movie from a few years ago, but let's forget about that for now.)  Ghostbusters 3--a "real" sequel this time, they promise--is self-explanatory, as is this summer's "Men in Black International" (Sony invented the "Paris sequel"), and one more Jumanji by Christmas.

What's going to happen to films in the 20's?  Not to put it too subtly, but we're going to see studios literally EAT THEMSELVES ALIVE, until starvation forces them to realize that the Dream of '01--"Who needs those ungrateful screenwriters?...We'll make 26 movies about the Alphabet, with 'Z: the Reckoning' scheduled for May 2048!"--is officially over.  It was declared dead in '16-'17 (and "Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy'" was carved on its tombstone), and it's time to wake up and hit the slush pile again:  Some poor-shlub screenwriter has probably come up with a new idea, and bad news, guys, you're going to have to PAY him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

What's going to happen to films in the 20's?  Not to put it too subtly, but we're going to see studios literally EAT THEMSELVES ALIVE, until starvation forces them to realize that the Dream of '01--"Who needs those ungrateful screenwriters?...We'll make 26 movies about the Alphabet, with 'Z: the Reckoning' scheduled for May 2048!"--is officially over.  It was declared dead in '16-'17 (and "Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy'" was carved on its tombstone), and it's time to wake up and hit the slush pile again:  Some poor-shlub screenwriter has probably come up with a new idea, and bad news, guys, you're going to have to PAY him.

Speaking of Tom Cruise he will be appearing in TOP GUN: MAVERICK, which reteams him with Val Kilmer 34 years after the original. The budget for this baby is $140 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun:_Maverick

47 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Speaking of Tom Cruise he will be appearing in TOP GUN: MAVERICK, which reteams him with Val Kilmer 34 years after the original. The budget for this baby is $140 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun:_Maverick

Yep, Paramount's searching, too:  They won't be going back to the Transformers or Ninja Turtles any time soon, and they're still hoping to give Star Trek one last college try, even after "Star Trek: Beyond".  They've got one last memo left around from the 00's, and that was for their Hasbro division to tie another toy property in together with one last GI Joe movie.

(Not Top Gun, obviously, that's more in the category of "Nostalgia-resurrecting favorite catalog movies", the same way Warner found out they couldn't jumpstart "Blade Runner" again.)

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

We'll make 26 movies about the Alphabet, with 'Z: the Reckoning' scheduled for May 2048!"

Actually, that reckoning has already happened. They just did the alphabet in reverse.  :lol:

p13652040_b_v8_ab.jpg

Actually, I predicted this for the music industry long ago. The remakes and remixes decimated that industry decades ago. With the autotune, Pro Tools and other computers software, all popular music basically sounds the same. I said that one day, all pop will be one song, one beat. Different renditions of this one song. No soul, no distinctiveness, no emotion.

Little did I know that the film industry would fall for under the same spell. You watch these films and through all the explosions, fights and effects, can you really remember one or two dramatic scenes ? I like the superheroes but, like so many "hot" things, its a bubble soon to burst. Then where will they be ? The reboots are already bombing: The new Hellboy bombed. The new Death Wish bombed.

What will Hollywood do when they can no longer rely on the remakes and reboots ?

9 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Actually, that reckoning has already happened. They just did the alphabet in reverse.  :lol:

p13652040_b_v8_ab.jpg 

Actually, I predicted this for the music industry long ago. The remakes and remixes decimated that industry decades ago. With the autotune, Pro Tools and other computers software, all popular music basically sounds the same. I said that one day, all pop will be one song, one beat. Different renditions of this one song. No soul, no distinctiveness, no emotion.

Little did I know that the film industry would fall for under the same spell. You watch these films and through all the explosions, fights and effects, can you really remember one or two dramatic scenes ? I like the superheroes but, like so many "hot" things, its a bubble soon to burst. Then where will they be ? The reboots are already bombing: The new Hellboy bombed. The new Death Wish bombed.

What will Hollywood do when they can no longer rely on the remakes and reboots ?

There's crossover between the music and film industries. Some of the same people work in both fields so it makes sense that trends in one would affect trends in the others. 

One thing we have to keep in mind is that the list of planned films for 2020 does not include the many independent films that will find their way to audiences. Some of those indy titles will get picked up by the major studios (and Netflix) for distribution. So it will be more than just big budget sequels, remakes and reboots.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the blockbusters are in a more precarious spot than box-office returns might indicate. We've seen it in 2015 and 2017 that quite a few misfired, and I think it will happen again. It is only a matter of time before one falls after another like dominoes. After that maybe a switch back to mid-budget titles.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I have a feeling that the blockbusters are in a more precarious spot than box-office returns might indicate. We've seen it in 2015 and 2017 that quite a few misfired, and I think it will happen again. It is only a matter of time before one falls after another like dominoes. After that maybe a switch back to mid-budget titles.

75% of the revenue for those action packed blockbusters with little meaningful dialogue comes from overseas. Especially in developing countries, they like the explosions and the fact that they don't have to understand clever English dialogue. What kills the studios overseas is when they try to insert political correctness into films where the overseas audience doesn't understand such stuff and wouldn't care about it if they did. Actually, Solo wasn't that big of a flop. It had a budget of 300M and only made 200M in the US. But it made 400M overseas, so the studio did make their money back and then some.

54 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

75% of the revenue for those action packed blockbusters with little meaningful dialogue comes from overseas. Especially in developing countries, they like the explosions and the fact that they don't have to understand clever English dialogue. What kills the studios overseas is when they try to insert political correctness into films where the overseas audience doesn't understand such stuff and wouldn't care about it if they did. Actually, Solo wasn't that big of a flop. It had a budget of 300M and only made 200M in the US. But it made 400M overseas, so the studio did make their money back and then some.

The third highest grossing film so far in 2019 is the Chinese sci-fi drama THE WANDERING EARTH, which has made $700 million. It's in Mandarin and has huge special effects. So what you are saying works in reverse too. If they put more explosions in and use less Chinese dialogue...then, they can earn more with international audiences.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I think the superhero movies will come to an end at least (hopefully). 

The "Shazam!" sequel is in the works for next year.

Didn't anyone hear the good news?

DC comics just renewed copyright for Fawcett comics. More original Captain Marvel stories for the movies, and I cannot wait.

45 years a fan and counting.

Shazam!

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The third highest grossing film so far in 2019 is the Chinese sci-fi drama THE WANDERING EARTH, which has made $700 million. It's in Mandarin and has huge special effects. So what you are saying works in reverse too. If they put more explosions in and use less Chinese dialogue...then, they can earn more with international audiences.

Reverse from their perspective though, or just more of the same cryptic gak, not intended for American consumption, like the so-called "American" studios are cranking out?  If truly in reverse, then they would include witty "Maltese Falcon"-like dubbed English dialog and the plot would have some pro-American/pro-Western elements.

17 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Reverse from their perspective though, or just more of the same cryptic gak, not intended for American consumption, like the so-called "American" studios are cranking out?  If truly in reverse, then they would include witty "Maltese Falcon"-like dubbed English dialog that has some pro-American/pro-Western elements.

When I watched clips of THE WANDERING EARTH on YouTube, it felt very much like a Hollywood blockbuster from the late 70s or early 80s. It had a sort of retro vibe to it, though the special effects are very modern and up to date. I can see why it was a big hit in Asian countries.

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

When I watched clips of THE WANDERING EARTH on YouTube, it felt very much like a Hollywood blockbuster from the late 70s or early 80s. It had a sort of retro vibe to it, though the special effects are very modern and up to date. I can see why it was a big hit in Asian countries.

In case anyone is interested, The Wandering Earth is available now on Netflix.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

In case anyone is interested, The Wandering Earth is available now on Netflix.

Thanks for letting us know.

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

Think Godzilla will be alive and kicking during the 2020's

58004011_2102274833223088_18350398697310

Godzilla is so badass Ghidrah needs three heads to take 'em on.

:D

There won't be films in the 2020's.  They will be broadcast directly to receptors in our brains.

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

There won't be films in the 2020's.  They will be broadcast directly to receptors in our brains.

There will be brains in the 2020's?:unsure:

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There will be brains in the 2020's?:unsure:

Of course.  You will be able to order them from Amazon.  But then 3 years later there will be attorney ads saying how you can sue because they malfunctioned.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, hamradio said:

Think Godzilla will be alive and kicking during the 2020's

"Long Live the King"

Uh-oh, there's going to be trouble--King Kong already used that tagline for "Kong: Skull Island", and he's not going to be happy about it!  :D  Warner's setting up that crossover-battle-royale movie they'd been imagining ever since the first '14 Godzilla had been mentioned...  

Seriously, if you've seen Warner's collection of dopey "money-lines" in the trailer ("Oh my god...Zilla!"), I'm carefully reserving my anticipation for this one.  This was one of Old Mother Warner's last few all-out attempts at saving the studio, before the drought hit, and it has all the earmarks of going as embarrassingly all-in as K:SI did.  When we got that "Over the Rainbow" trailer, Warner wants to attach their brandname to this movie in the worst way, and what we're seeing of the movie is starting to approach Dean Devlin level.

(And besides, any movie with Mothra but not the Twin Fairies is no true kaiju film.)

Of course.  You will be able to order them from Amazon.  But then 3 years later there will be attorney ads saying how you can sue because they malfunctioned.

Only if you get one of the discount brains from Curry's:

new%20brain.jpg

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/newbrain.php

("And then there's our Bertrand Russell Super-Silver model, that's 250 quid plus hospital treatment."
"Oo, that's a lot."
"It's color.")

• Haha 1

I think this hologram technology will be expanded upon. If they can bring back stars on a stage, who knows what the next step will be. I think if the film industry gets ahold of it, there is a wide world of possibilities.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, GGGGerald said:

I think this hologram technology will be expanded upon. If they can bring back stars on a stage, who knows what the next step will be. I think if the film industry gets ahold of it, there is a wide world of possibilities.

Interesting comment. So this means that Warners could remake THE MALTESE FALCON, keeping Bogart in, but replacing Mary Astor with a newer actress?

Furiously Fast 12, where they drive cars on the moon and drift in craters with The Rock flipping cars in zero G, sending them into space and something about the space station eventually falling to earth and they have to drive on the falling pieces of it. It'll make $2.5 billion in the box office worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting comment. So this means that Warners could remake THE MALTESE FALCON, keeping Bogart in, but replacing Mary Astor with a newer actress?

9 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Furiously Fast 12, where they drive cars on the moon and drift in craters with The Rock flipping cars in zero G, sending them into space and something about the space station eventually falling to earth and they have to drive on the falling pieces of it. It'll make $2.5 billion in the box office worldwide.

In the last Fast and Furious, they used to technology to insert the image of the late Paul Walker into the film. So its already in the works, if someone wants to do such a thing.

And even on the moon, they'll somehow find a 1970 Dodge for Vin Diesel to drive

• Like 1

We'll definitely see more of the de-aging technology in films. Now playing is the thriller "Gemini Man," in which the 50-year-old Will Smith faces off with his "Fresh Prince"-like younger self.

gemini-man-will-smith.jpg