Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Messages of Mrs. Miniver (1942)

slaytonf

The class system is alive and well and living in the English Islands.  Those who violate it will come to no good.  But we'll all pull together for the war, anyway.

The biggest defenders of the aristocracy are the lower classes (got them fooled!).

The best way to drive home a point is through gentle home-spun humor and dry wit.

(Gulp! We really need to win this one!)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

The biggest defenders of the aristocracy are the lower classes (got them fooled!).

Its the same here in the states. There are those who need people to look up to. Every time I see the gossip mags in the check out line, its English royalty. And apparently people here care about the rich in another country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The enemy are crude, brutish, and have bad table manners.  Scary, but ultimately weak inside.  That's why we're right.

They are so provoking it makes us lose our sense of propriety to point we feel compelled to slap them.  This is unforgivable.  Bomb us, kill us, destroy our armies, subjugate whole peoples, but if you make us abandon our surface composure, you have offended us to our deepest core.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

The enemy are crude, brutish, and have bad table manners.  Scary, but ultimately weak inside.  That's why we're right.

They are so provoking it makes us lose our sense of propriety to point we feel compelled to slap them.  This is unforgivable.  Bomb us, kill us, destroy our armies, subjugate whole peoples, but if you make us abandon our surface composure, you have offended us to our deepest core.

LOL

hqdefault.jpg

"I say ole boy. You've got us British down to a tee, don't you!" ;)

(...btw slayton...when I first saw your thread, my first thought was to somehow work Helmut Dantine's portrayal of the downed German pilot into the conversation, but now I don't think I could've topped the reference you just made to him here)

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...btw slayton...when I first saw your thread, my first thought was to somehow work Helmut Dantine's portrayal of the downed German pilot into the conversation, but now I don't think I could've topped the reference you just made to him here)

I've always admired you for you acute insight.

• Haha 1

Okay then, and speaking of actor Helmut Dantine and his portrayal of the downed German pilot in this film...

After reading the actor's Wiki bio-page, I suppose it could be said that another "message" to be gleaned from watching this movie is that avid anti-Nazis in real life, and as was this actor who actually spent some time in a Nazi concentration camp just before the outbreak of WWII, make some of the best and nastiest Nazis in Hollywood movies.

(...I think I'll call this the "Conrad Veidt Syndrome")

• Like 2

See....

THIS is why I tend to gravitate to KATCZINSKY'S  philosophy of how wars should be fought (from ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT).  You know, how all world leaders be put in a big room in nothing but their underpants to slug it out....  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I just watched Ben Mankiewicz discuss "Mrs. Miniver" with a man who may be the director of the World War II Museum in New Orleans.  I apologize for not knowing the gentleman's name.  At the end of the discussion, it seemed that Mr. Mankiewicz went so far as to place the allied bombing of German and Japanese civilian on a equal footing with the despicable conduct of Japan and Germany during the war.  Does Mr. Mankiewicz actually believe that we could have wished the evil of the war away without doing evil ourselves?  How would it have been possible to win the war without taking very terrible action against the enemy? I would be interested in knowing how Mr. Mankiewicz believes that we could have won the war without the necessity to do evil ourselves? I was quite shocked and annoyed that he seemed to be saying that the allies were as bad as the Germans and the Japanese. This is not true! He is wrong!

1 hour ago, starstricken said:

I just watched Ben Mankiewicz discuss "Mrs. Miniver" with a man who may be the director of the World War II Museum in New Orleans.  I apologize for not knowing the gentleman's name.  At the end of the discussion, it seemed that Mr. Mankiewicz went so far as to place the allied bombing of German and Japanese civilian on a equal footing with the despicable conduct of Japan and Germany during the war.  Does Mr. Mankiewicz actually believe that we could have wished the evil of the war away without doing evil ourselves?  How would it have been possible to win the war without taking very terrible action against the enemy? I would be interested in knowing how Mr. Mankiewicz believes that we could have won the war without the necessity to do evil ourselves? I was quite shocked and annoyed that he seemed to be saying that the allies were as bad as the Germans and the Japanese. This is not true! He is wrong!

I wouldn't know if Ben actually believes such a thing, starstricken.

Perhaps his comment was meant more in a general "Oh the humanity/what a waste" vein. But if he does believe such a thing, which I seriously doubt, then it sounds to me as if Ben needs to re-watch another extremely well-made pro-British WWII propaganda film released just a year after Mrs. Miniver.

Messrs Powell and Pressburger's The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Because as you may know, the very premise of this film is exactly what you appear to be lamenting here.

(...and that being that you don't win a war by being "gentlemanly")

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings