Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did Anyone Watch "Marty" Tonight?

I did not watch the movie live tonight since I have seen it several times before (just watched the intro and wrap-up to see what the new Essentials is like).  Also, in previous viewings on TCM it seemed like the additional scene was always included.  Based on your question, however, I looked through the film on WatchTCM and see that the scene is not included there.  This is very disappointing to me since I like this additional material very much - I think it gives us more insight into Clara and her relationship with her parents and shows how she felt about how her first date with Marty went.  Since TCM had been so consistent with including this scene in the past I think it's a real shame to see this change now.  For those who like the film and would like to see the longer version, I can add that the Blu-Ray that came out in 2014 does include the extra scene.  (Look for 94 minute run-time vs. 90/91 minute shorter version.)

• Like 2

I don't ever recall seeing the movie without that scene.  Now, I never got the DVD re-issue, but it's on my old VHS bought some 30 or so years ago.  ;)

But last night I watched FRANKENSTEIN on Svengoolie.  And HE showed a print that included the controversial scenes in which Clive raves on about, "In the name of GOD...." and all that, and the scene showing the monster actually throwing the little girl into the lake.  For years both got cut out of the versions slated for television viewing. 

Sepiatone

Marty is one of my favorite films, I always watch it whenever it's shown. The last time was not that long ago and the scene with Clara and her parents was included. Why would TCM butcher the film? Very disappointed and annoyed if the cut version will be shown from now on. What happened to       "always uncut and commercial free" ?

• Like 2

I was multi-tasking while watching the film last night, but I believe it wasn't included. I remember thinking the film seemed shorter than usual.

I really love this film, too. I'm a bit of a "Clara" myself (without the college degree), so I've always identified with the film. Also, I'll fight anyone who says Ernie Borgnine didn't deserve his Oscar that year!:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I did not watch the movie live tonight since I have seen it several times before (just watched the intro and wrap-up to see what the new Essentials is like)

What did you think? "Marty" is one of my top ten favorites and I wanted to see what the new co host Ava Duvernay had to say about it. I was ready to hit the mute button if she said anything critical or "politically correct" about it. Luckily, she had nothing but high praise for it. I actually wish she had spoken longer in regard to the film, at the closing sequence she went on about her own career, then I lost interest. 

Some years ago I went to a screening of "Marty" at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood, hosted by Delbert Mann. After the film, during the Q and A, I asked the audience about the scene with Clara's parents in their bedroom after her date with Marty.  No one, including myself, had ever seen it before.

Delbert Mann told the audience that that scene had been cut from the movie for TV showings.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't ever recall seeing the movie without that scene.  Now, I never got the DVD re-issue, but it's on my old VHS bought some 30 or so years ago.  ;)

But last night I watched FRANKENSTEIN on Svengoolie.  And HE showed a print that included the controversial scenes in which Clive raves on about, "In the name of GOD...." and all that, and the scene showing the monster actually throwing the little girl into the lake.  For years both got cut out of the versions slated for television viewing. 

Sepiatone

I don't recall ever seeing Marty without that scene either. On the topic of Frankenstein, I think the lines Clive has about knowing what it feels like to be God AND the scene with the little girl being thrown into the lake were reinserted when that film came out on VHS. I remember somebody doing a review of the tape and they mentioned that for the first time in decades this was now back in the movie.  This was around the year 1990.

• Like 1

Sure Calvin.  I do remember when I was a kid( 'bout 6 or so) first seeing the movie on TV one Saturday afternoon, and it did cut from the monster losing all HIS flowers in the lake,then looking at the girl with that evil grin, and cutting to the Father carrying her lifeless body into the celebrating town. 

I first saw it with that "missing" footage back in the '70s at that same U of M  theater me and a buddy also saw KING KONG with IT'S "restored" footage of Kong crushing natives under his foot.  As a kid, I too, never remember seeing that on the TV versions I watched back then.  ;)

Sepiatone

On 5/5/2019 at 12:53 PM, johnpressman said:

Some years ago I went to a screening of "Marty" at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood, hosted by Delbert Mann. After the film, during the Q and A, I asked the audience about the scene with Clara's parents in their bedroom after her date with Marty.  No one, including myself, had ever seen it before.

Delbert Mann told the audience that that scene had been cut from the movie for TV showings.

Marty was shown in the last couple of months on TCM and that scene was there. Why would TCM show a cut print now?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings