Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film I.D.

cigarjoe

I've been looking for this film for years, actually, not looking for it but more trying to identify it. I saw it as a kid at a small theater on Steinway Street in Astoria, NY. The theater was originally called the Cameo later the Olympia theater.

I didn't go to it very often but I did see this film I'm looking for in the early 60's. I seem to remember it was in Black & White, but the key scene that sticks in my mind was at night. It may have been a second bill with whatever the main film was. The film I definitely remember seeing at the Olympia was Man's Favorite Sport (1964), it may have been the second bill, but I'm not sure. I figuring it had to be around 1963-64-65.

It was some type of gangster flick. It was similar in one respect to Sam Fuller's Underworld U.S.A. (1961). The gangster gets shot at the end, dying on a snowy sidewalk with diegetic Christmas music coming from someplace (may have been a church, but don't remember where for sure, don't remember which tune). In Underworld U.S.A. Cliff Robertson dies in an alley with auld lang syne playing that is the similarity. So I thought maybe I just mis-remembered it.

What was different was that the gangster was married and had a family that he never got back to on Christmas Eve, a tear jerker. Like Cliff Robertson, the gangster had black hair. 

Ring a bell with anyone?

10 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I've been looking for this film for years, actually, not looking for it but more trying to identify it. I saw it as a kid at a small theater on Steinway Street in Astoria, NY. The theater was originally called the Cameo later the Olympia theater.

I didn't go to it very often but I did see this film I'm looking for in the early 60's. I seem to remember it was in Black & White, but the key scene that sticks in my mind was at night. It may have been a second bill with whatever the main film was. The film I definitely remember seeing at the Olympia was Man's Favorite Sport (1964), it may have been the second bill, but I'm not sure. I figuring it had to be around 1963-64-65.

It was some type of gangster flick. It was similar in one respect to Sam Fuller's Underworld U.S.A. (1961). The gangster gets shot at the end, dying on a snowy sidewalk with diegetic Christmas music coming from someplace (may have been a church, but don't remember where for sure, don't remember which tune). In Underworld U.S.A. Cliff Robertson dies in an alley with auld lang syne playing that is the similarity. So I thought maybe I just mis-remembered it.

What was different was that the gangster was married and had a family that he never got back to on Christmas Eve, a tear jerker. Like Cliff Robertson, the gangster had black hair. 

Ring a bell with anyone?

sounds like the one where shelley winters shoots john Garfield for terrorizing her family and threatening to kill them. Garfield collapses and croaks leaning against a car.

:D

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

sounds like the one where shelley winters shoots john Garfield for terrorizing her family and threatening to kill them. Garfield collapses and croaks leaning against a car.

:D

No, that was He Ran All The Way 1951.  I saw it in a theater on a double bill. And it's definitely Christmas time and the guy was a gangster a greaseball type, kinda looked a bit like Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Gene Barry, Steve Cochran

18 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

what about the roaring twenties where cagney dies on the steps of a church?

I saw it in a theater so it was probably some "B" movie or independant film, no neighborhood theaters were showing vintage films in the early 60s. 

But yes The Roaring Twenties and He Ran All The Way are similar but this was Christmas Eve and snowing on a street corner under a streetlight. 

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

An American Dream?? (Whitman/Leigh) I dont recall how it ends. Lost interest halfway through.

That one may be it, though it's later than I expected, I'll check it out more and get back to you. I was thinking in the 1963-1965 range but it's possible it's 1966.

I may have seen it under the title See You in Hell, Darling.

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

That one may be it, though it's later than I expected, I'll check it out more and get back to you. I was thinking in the 1963-1965 range but it's possible it's 1966.

I had never heard of that one until it was recently discussed in another thread by Sarge.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I had never heard of that one until it was recently discussed in another thread by Sarge.

It's streaming under American Dream I'll watch it tonight and get back to you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yeah, that was the alternate title.

May I do one? About every five years I post this in the Information forum and no knows this film. I saw this in the 60s at a downtown movie theater that at one time was first run but had fallen on hard times and was running either revivals or B pictures. This one is a B. Black and White. I know something from the beginning and end. In the beginning a group of actors are hanging around a hotel in Europe somewhere waiting for the director of the film to raise money to finish the film and return (no, this doesn't have anything to do with Orson Welles). At the end the scene is sparsely populated parking lot (few cars). There is a motor home type vehicle and inside is a cigar-smoking mogul type who is counting money etcs. and talking tough. Then the scene turns into one of almost unspeakable violence. I was actually shocked. Gruesome as all get out. No well=known actors as far as I can remember, and very low budget, no doubt a B picture but nevertheless did not play so much a cheapie, it seemed better than that. I'm sure it's obscure though. Any ideas? Joe, I hope you don't mind that I post this.

4 hours ago, laffite said:

May I do one? About every five years I post this in the Information forum and no knows this film. I saw this in the 60s at a downtown movie theater that at one time was first run but had fallen on hard times and was running either revivals or B pictures. This one is a B. Black and White. I know something from the beginning and end. In the beginning a group of actors are hanging around a hotel in Europe somewhere waiting for the director of the film to raise money to finish the film and return (no, this doesn't have anything to do with Orson Welles). At the end the scene is sparsely populated parking lot (few cars). There is a motor home type vehicle and inside is a cigar-smoking mogul type who is counting money etcs. and talking tough. Then the scene turns into one of almost unspeakable violence. I was actually shocked. Gruesome as all get out. No well=known actors as far as I can remember, and very low budget, no doubt a B picture but nevertheless did not play so much a cheapie, it seemed better than that. I'm sure it's obscure though. Any ideas? Joe, I hope you don't mind that I post this.

Sure, no problem, and the film you mention doesn't ring a bell with me.

Man's Favorite Sport played in NYC in 1964; the second film on the bill was Hide and Seek, which unfortunately doesn't fit your description.

I think we can also rule out Attack of the 50-Foot Woman.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings