Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1952

Firefighting was the name of the game in Red Skies of Montana, the first Fox release of the year with Richard Widmark and Jeffrey Hunter.

MV5BMjQ1ZjExMDQtZTI4Zi00MGQyLWI4MTAtZTdi

Mala Powers turned outlaw in Rose of Cimarron, determined to find the people who killed her parents.

MV5BNTU4YWRmYmMtMDhmNy00MWZmLWE1OWUtOTk4

Japanese War Bride was directed by King Vidor and was a saga detailing the fight against anti-Japanese feelings.

Japanese_War_Bride_VideoCover.png

Viva Zapata provided Marlon Brando with a meaty part and Anthony Quinn with his first Oscar (and he was very good here)

Viva_Zapata!.jpg

Dale Robertson and Joanne Dru took on another slice of the West in Return of the Texan.

Return_of_the_Texan_FilmPoster.jpeg

Phone Call from a Stranger was a touching drama in which all the players shone, as Gary Merrill visited the loved ones of people lost in a plane crash that he survived.

MV5BNjU1NjBmODgtMzE2NC00NGM2LWE0MjUtZWYy

5 Fingers was also highly regarded as it found James Mason as an enemy spy.....

5fingers.jpg

Deadline USA was one of the great newspaper films with a top performance from Humphrey Bogart.

220px-DeadlineUSA.jpg

With a Song in My Heart was a plush musical biopic that was immensely popular and provided Susan Hayward and Thelma Ritter with Oscar nominations.

MV5BOWI2NDUxMDMtNTM0MC00ZDU3LWI4NzctZjdh

Dan Dailey played Dizzy Dean in a film that obviously was an attempt to recapture the magic of The Pride of the Yankees.....

Prideofstlouispost.jpg

Belles on Their Toes picked up the story of Cheaper by the Dozen, after Myrna Loy was left a widow. Much warm family stuff must be in store here.

Belles_on_Their_Toes_-_Film_Poster.jpg

The Outcasts of Poker Flat was filmed multiple times, and this one was the last to surface....

Outcasts_of_Poker_Flat_1952_film_poster.

Kangaroo was in  Australia of course as Maureen O'Hara ran into two outlaws, one of whom was played by Peter Lawford.

Kangaroo_FilmPoster.jpeg

Lydia Bailey served up tropic adventure and intrigue (foreign poster)

MV5BYmEwMDYyYmItZWQzZS00ZTAxLTg1YWItNWUz

Diplomatic Courier was an espionage thriller with Tyrone Power and Patricia Neal.

MV5BYjFjMTU1NzgtNDVkYS00MWM5LThlOWMtNjE4

Wait until the Sun Shines, Nellie told of the tale of the changing fortunes of a family over 20 years.

Wait_till_the_Sun_Shines,_Nellie_(film).

First in 1951 there was a loose version of Thwe Count of Monte Cristo; The Man in the Iron Mask got the same treatment in 1952.

Lady_in_the_Iron_Mask.jpg

We're Not Married was an all-star portmanteau film with many couples discovering a side effect to their visit to a justice of the peace....

We're_Not_Married.jpg

Don't Bother top Knock had Marilyn Monroe as a psycho babysitter. She was actually quite good. Richard Widmark was her employer, and Anne Bancroft made her film debut.

MV5BYmUyMGYzMzItZGMxZC00ZDY2LThmODMtYTBk

What Price Glory found John Ford remaking one of his own films. This was a hit, but the original remained the critical favorite.

What_Price_Glory-1952-poster.jpg

Clifton Webb was hilarious in the delicious Dreamboat, a superior comedy in which he played a man less then thrilled to find out his old Silent films were being broadcasty on TV by his former co-star Ginger Rogers.

MV5BZjFmYjFlMzgtMjVlYy00NTE5LWFlNTctNDlh

O Henry's Full House was another multi-part all star film which reenacted several stories from the noted writer. All were involving and the film was fascinating.

O._Henry's_Full_House_Poster.jpg

Ginger Rogers appeared again in Monkey Business, another sublime comedy. This time Cary Grant was her leading men, and the film glowed with comic ingenuity.

Monkey_businessposter.jpg

The Snows of Kilimanjaro was a popular Hemingway adaptation, and its also one of the few Fox films that entered the public domain.

The_Snows_of_Kilimanjaro.jpg

Night Without Sleep had Gary Merrill worried that he committed a murder while in an alcoholic stupor.

Night_without_sleep_lobby_card_small.jpg

Lure of the Wilderness was a remake of Swamp Water.... so more romance in the land of the marshes.

Lure_of_the_Wilderness_poster.jpg

My Wife's Best Friend was a twist on Unfaithfully Yours; this time it was Anne Baxter cooking up ideas of how to get revenge.....

MV5BMWU0MDEwZWUtZmY0Ny00NTg0LWI3ZTctNWZi

Crime and romance came to Argentina in Way of the Gaucho.

Way_of_a_Gaucho.jpg

Joseph Cotten committed a big heist but wife Teresa Wright urged him to return it in the thriller The Steel Trap. Wright was the best element.

The_Steel_Trap_film.jpg

Les Miserables was given a brand new version with an all star cast....

LesMiserables1952.jpg

Bloadhounds of Broadway was a musical for Mitzi Gaynor based on Damon Runyon stories. This was remade in 1989.

MV5BOGIyZjM5YzMtYjMzNS00MTlmLWFkZGYtODI4

Something for the Birds might have been one of the earliest ecological comedies.

MV5BZGJiM2FhMmQtNzQ5NC00OWVkLWE2NmItZmMy

The Thief of Venice was a European B that made its dubbed American bow 2 years after being first released.

The_Thief_of_Venice.jpg

My Pal Gus found Richard Widmark falling for his son's teacher.....

My_pal_gus32.JPG

the Star was a drama in which as a faded star, Bette Davis received her 9th Oscar nomination. She was the best reason to watch.

The_Star,_1952_film_poster.jpg

Pony Soldier returned Tyrone Power to the Western vistas.

Ponysolpos.jpg

John Philip Sousa was the latest to go through the musical biopic treatment, played here by Clifton Webb.

MV5BMjMxYzgwOTQtN2Y5My00ZjI0LTlkNzUtM2Mx

My Cousin Rachel was a gothic tale with a very impressive starring turn from Richard Burton and with oodles of great atmosphere. Fox made a remake in 2017.

Rachel_moviep.jpg

Ruby Gentry capped the year with Jennifer Jones as the central part of a steamy love triangle.

MV5BNjI2ODJiN2EtYzRjYi00NjBiLWExZGEtYjU4

1953 would bring big changes to Fox, and they would never be the same again.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Japanese War Bride was directed by King Vidor and was a saga detailing the fight against anti-Japanese feelings.

Japanese_War_Bride_VideoCover.png

This is a good one though seems to be very hard to find today. I saw it in a revival theater several years ago. Don Taylor (he was the young cop in "The Naked City") is a WWII vet returning home with his Japanese wife (Shirley Yamaguchi). Taylor's friend Cameron Mitchell is accepting but Mitchell's wife Marie Windsor is not.

• Thanks 1

My top 10 from this batch:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 5.25.30 PM.jpeg

1. DEADLINE U.S.A. Excellent cast, sharp script, solid production values. A very good crime drama with plenty of commentary about the newspaper business.

2. 5 FINGERS. Another fine film with an excellent cast. Seems to get better with repeat viewings.

3. DIPLOMATIC COURIER. Great thriller. Patricia Neal has a good role in this one. Never understood why TCM doesn't air it.

4. PONY SOLDIER. One of Tyrone Power's better action films from the 1950s.

5. MONKEY BUSINESS. Hysterical. Top-notch cast and direction. Dated but fun.

6. THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO. A little slow in spots but the cinematography is wonderful. Peck and Hayward work well together.

7. MY COUSIN RACHEL. Strange, brooding "romance" drama. But wonderfully played by Burton & De Havilland.

8. WE'RE NOT MARRIED. A good portmanteau. Not all the segments hold up, but for the most part, it's well done and entertaining.

9. PHONE CALL FROM A STRANGER. High concept studio product. Performances are uniformly superb. 

10. MY WIFE'S BEST FRIEND. I like this Richard Sale comedy a lot. But then I like Macdonald Carey and Anne Baxter too. Cecil Kellaway tries to steal it and almost succeeds.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings