Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discussing Elvis Presley...as an actor.

SunAndMoon

Hardly anyone is going to deny that Elvis Presley was one of the greatest singers in the history of music. A great actor, on the other hand...not so much. His voice is legendary, and his movies are legendarily awful.

Or so I hear. I've only seen King Creole, so I can't comment on his entire filmography. I thought it was all right. I can't tell bad acting from good unless it's really wooden, and Elvis's acting didn't strike me as being obviously terrible.

What say you, my fellow forum-goers? Did I watch the only decent Elvis movie? Was the King himself any good as an actor? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It largely is a matter of personal opinion.  I never thought his acting was as bad as some try to make it out to be, his problem was mostly being quickly typecast and given "throw away" roles in which he seemed to be a similar character in many of his flicks. Ex G.I., Race car driver, mechanic, crop duster pilot, etc. that can also sing and get all the good looking girls in whatever town he's in to hang on him like tinsel. 

KING CREOLE was one of his better efforts, along with the year earlier JAILHOUSE ROCK. And given his lack of formal acting training, directors of many of his movies did manage to get competent performances out of him (IMHO) but I doubt he made Brando or Olivier nervous.  ;)   And although it was claimed he longed for more "serious" roles in more serious movies, it's said the Colonel made sure most of his movies were vehicles for new songs to be showcased and too, generate revenue from soundtrack recording sales. There's only a few in which he's NOT a singer or that even have ANY of him singing in them. WILD IN THE COUNTRY('61) is the only one I can think of,...

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

There's only a few in which he's NOT a singer or that even have ANY of him singing in them. WILD IN THE COUNTRY('61) is the only one I can think of,...

I think "Flaming Star" is his best. He is heard singing the title song over the credits and sings some western folk song with a guitar at the beginning and that's it. It's a challenging role of a half white half Indian who torn between two worlds. Veteran supporting cast (Dolores Del Rio and John McIntire) along with great director Don Siegel also help.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

What say you, my fellow forum-goers? Did I watch the only decent Elvis movie? 

Since it wasn't Viva Las Vegas (1964), with red-hot firecracker Ann-Margret, and arguably Elvis's best movie song, no.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It largely is a matter of personal opinion.  I never thought his acting was as bad as some try to make it out to be, his problem was mostly being quickly typecast and given "throw away" roles in which he seemed to be a similar character in many of his flicks. Ex G.I., Race car driver, mechanic, crop duster pilot, etc. that can also sing and get all the good looking girls in whatever town he's in to hang on him like tinsel. 

And although it was claimed he longed for more "serious" roles in more serious movies, it's said the Colonel made sure most of his movies were vehicles for new songs to be showcased and too, generate revenue from soundtrack recording sales. There's only a few in which he's NOT a singer or that even have ANY of him singing in them. WILD IN THE COUNTRY('61) is the only one I can think of,...

And Elvis was reportedly originally up for Kris Kristofferson's role in the '77 "A Star is Born", but both management and the studio thought Elvis & Barbara Streisand would be a battlefield--There is only ONE star in an Elvis pic, they argued, and you don't put him in supporting roles.

I love Viva Las Vegas.  Elvis is Elvis, but he and Ann-Margret have such great chemistry.  The film is fun.  I also love Jailhouse Rock.  It's a little more serious than some of his other fare.  I also love Kissin' Cousins.  No.  It's not a good movie.  It's rather dumb at times.  But it's amusing.  Elvis plays his own (blonde) hillbilly twin. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Viva Las Vegas.  Elvis is Elvis, but he and Ann-Margret have such great chemistry.  The film is fun.  I also love Jailhouse Rock.  It's a little more serious than some of his other fare.  I also love Kissin' Cousins.  No.  It's not a good movie.  It's rather dumb at times.  But it's amusing.  Elvis plays his own (blonde) hillbilly twin. 

:D

Dumb, "at times"?  Well, I'm not saying Presley's movies weren't entertaining or fun.  As hormone ravaged adolescents we loved going to see Presley movies 'cause the GIRLS in them were so FINE!  ;)   Like all them "Beach blanket" movies in the early to mid '60s, it wasn't to see and hear FRANKIE AVALON sing is why we flocked to 'em!  :P  It was more ANNETTE FUNICELLO  and her "Pu**Y Posse" that was the draw.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Okay I must admit I'm a fan of his movies too.  I'm not into the sanctimonious, beat you over the head message movies of the 60s, so what's that leave me?  Basically I see him as a likeable character actor, and not anything more serious than that.  I suppose he had a bit of Dean Martin, but then I suppose it would also be fair to say he had a bit of Arch Hall.  Lots of fun.

• Like 1

I'm sure KING CREOLE was an education for Presley. He not only worked under Michael Curtiz - who usually got his actors to underplay admirably - but he was also working with really good actors such as Walter Matthau, Carolyn Jones, Val Avery and Paul Stewart.

• Like 2

His largely suppressed love affair with Nick Adams must've been a major ache in his life.

Indeed, Adams, who wanted to make capital of the relationship, wrote a basically cleaned-up version of their relationship.

book_the_rebel_the_king_nickadams.jpg

When Adams supposedly committed suicide, just before threatening to tell the truth, it was largely surmised by Hollywood insiders that Adams had been murdered.

• Confused 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings