Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Iran tensions escalate

34 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Nobodies with little, if any, qualifications about what they post.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with all the copy and pasted YouTube comments lately. That's pretty much the worst place to get your info.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with all the copy and pasted YouTube comments lately. That's pretty much the worst place to get your info.

I think it is mostly one poster doing it.

• Like 2

Seth AbramsonVerified account @SethAbramson 55m55 minutes ago

..... Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Israel have been trying to get America into a war with Iran since Trump was elected. It'd be *extremely dangerous* for us take any action based on any unverified claims made by Saudi Arabia, the UAE or Israel.

Netanyahu has already said publicly he wants war with Iran, as do his allies in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the White House. All statements about Iran from any of these parties must be taken with many grains of salt—lest we find ourselves in an unnecessary and cataclysmic new war.

The evidence suggests the UAE secretly paid an Israeli business intelligence group to do work for Trump during the election—and Trump Jr. (at a minimum) knew about it.

Now the UAE wants us at war with Iran. America is on the doorstep of paying a blood price for Trump's collusion....

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Where do you get your info from?

2 hours ago, TalkTalk123 said:

Where do you get your info from?

Generally op-eds from academic sources like Zizek, Peter Singer, Nick Land, Peter Sloterdijk and others of the like. I also really enjoy Jacobite- the post-political magazine, a right wing, traditionalist magazine. YouTube comments are probably the worst "source" you can use (and I feel stupid just using that term for them).

Reply to TalkTalk's post of above video.

America has changed dramatically since 1783 and so have our military needs.  We have always had a standing military and with a great reliance on state militias.  Most people do not understand that it is the United States of America, not the Republic of America.  The founders believed that a large standing army commanded by the president would be a threat to the "independence" of the individual states.  We also had two oceans to protect us from any likely source of invasion in 1783.

The US military also began to increase in size as the US took foreign territories prior to the Civil War.

There is no doubt that the industrial side wants to sell more goods, as do their stock holders.  As noted in the clip, that is normal for any company.  It is unfortunate, but the US governments at all levels are subservient to ALL corporations, chambers of commerce, ad infinitum.  It goes far beyond the MIPC. 

There is truth that the politicians "force" the military to buy equipment they don't need and to retain bases they don't need.  But that is somewhat similar to politicians at all levels of government creating projects, facilities, programs, etc.

As for the military bureaucracy, I was part of it and it is focused on getting bigger and bigger and bigger.  Unlike civilian jobs, the military has an up or out process.  You have to be promoted to the next rank every 4 or 5 years or you are discharged with no benefits.  Of course, the higher your rank at retirement if you make it, the higher you pension.  HOWEVER, every organization, civilian or government, has a desire to be larger and to create more higher level, higher paying jobs.

Every time the Army or Air Force creates a new command, it requires a new general with a staff of colonels, lt. colonels, majors, etc.  Each of those officers has to have a staff as well.  Every time the Navy builds a new ship without deactivating an older one, it creates a need for on shore and at sea support services, to include other ships.  An aircraft carrier requires protection and support ships - destroyers, cruisers, supply ships, etc.  Of course there is also a new 3 star admiral to command it all with his/her large staff.

As for Congress no longer having to declare war, that was the choice of the American people and Congress.  They realized that the 18th century practice of nations declaring war against someone was gone.  They also realized that an enemy could attack with massive force and destruction almost immediately.

As for expecting changes at the end of the Cold war, times had changed again.  While the Soviet Union was no longer a threat, there were many other threats.  Many of these threats required unique and expensive options to combat them.  Also, America decided to have an all volunteer force and that requires paying a whole lot more than a military based on the draft.

Eisenhower was somewhat correct about the MIC, but it was not really based on the reality of how the world had changed.

Comparing current spending to WW II is a little misleading.  The US has the best paid and trained military in the world, equipped with the best equipment available and in sufficient quantities to do the job that CONGRESS  and the VOTERS wanted it to do.

Americans also decided that they did not want to be in the place they were in 1916 and 1942 with no substantial military industry and an inadequate military.  Remember there was severe rationing in America in WW II and the countries largest industry (automobiles) essentially shut down entirely until 1945.

Incidentally, Preble works for the Cato Institute, a libertarian anti-government organization.

As for the "forever wars," the problem is that we should have pulled out of Afghanistan after the Taliban was destroyed and turned it over to NATO and the UN.  As for Iraq, we never should have started that one.

I served for over 26 years in the Army to include serving in Vietnam and the Gulf during those wars.  Vietnam was a mistake and a war we could never win.  The Gulf War was an overwhelming success because the military was prepared for it in advance with personnel, equipment and training and we had a limited, accomplishable objective.  While we had allies, the US shouldered the major demands of the war.

In addition, the rest of the world decided in 1945 that they would cede the responsibility for protecting the world to the United States.  They still have ceded that responsibility to us and the American people have accepted it.

• Thanks 1

I remember right after the fall of the Soviet Union, one of their top generals said...You (the US) are now the world's policeman, hope you enjoy it.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

I remember right after the fall of the Soviet Union, one of their top generals said...You (the US) are now the world's policeman, hope you enjoy it.

He was right.  While the US and the Soviets were opposed to each other, they did tend to keep their client states under some control.  Once the Soviets stopped, their states did as they pleased.  One example is that Khrushchev decided to move the missiles out of Cuba even though Castro very much wanted to keep them there. 

The Latest: Norwegian tanker’s hull punctured off UAE coast

6:15 p.m.

The owners of a Norwegian-flagged oil tanker say their vessel sustained a hole in its hull from “an unknown object” while off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, amid what Gulf officials describe as sabotage targeting ships there.

Thome Ship Management said in a statement Monday that the MT Andrea Victory was still off the coast of Fujairah and was “not in any danger of sinking.”

It said the rear section of the ship was hit by the object on Sunday.

It added its sailors were supporting local authorities and were conducting a full inspection of the vessel.

https://apnews.com/b571ec62b9f64e65ad33eda04e390aa9?utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter

• Thanks 1

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tuesday that his country would not go to war with the United States despite increased tension.

"There won't be any war. The Iranian nation has chosen the path of resistance," he said, according to Reuters

He said, however, that he also would not work with the U.S. on a nuclear agreement, Reuters reported, citing state media. 

The U.S. in 2018 pulled out of a nuclear deal with Iran that lessened sanctions in the country in exchange for limits to Iran's nuclear program. In recent weeks, there has been increased friction between the two countries. 

National security adviser John Bolton this month announced that the U.S. would send a carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Middle East.

Officials justified this by citing a "credible threat" from Iran,

but did not say what the threat was...... :huh:

https://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/443624-iran-says-there-will-be-no-war-with-us-despite

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:54 PM, mr6666 said:

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tuesday that his country would not go to war with the United States despite increased tension.

"There won't be any war. The Iranian nation has chosen the path of resistance," he said, according to Reuters

He said, however, that he also would not work with the U.S. on a nuclear agreement, Reuters reported, citing state media. 

The U.S. in 2018 pulled out of a nuclear deal with Iran that lessened sanctions in the country in exchange for limits to Iran's nuclear program. In recent weeks, there has been increased friction between the two countries. 

National security adviser John Bolton this month announced that the U.S. would send a carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Middle East.

Officials justified this by citing a "credible threat" from Iran,

but did not say what the threat was...... :huh:

https://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/443624-iran-says-there-will-be-no-war-with-us-despite

when the fun starts are you gonna root for iran?

:P

maybe don't want unnecessary FUN? to start  :blink:

==============================================

John HarwoodVerified account @JohnJHarwood

“As Trump administration draws up war plans against Iran over what it says are threats to American troops and interests,

a senior British military official told reporters he saw NO increased risk from Iran or allied militias” https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/world/middleeast/trump-iran-threats.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share  via ⁦@nytimes

=======================================================

Walter ShaubVerified account @waltshaub 10h10 hours ago

If you're too young to remember how the Iraq war began, or have a short memory,

it was a steaming pile of lies. And in the fevered post-9/11 world, both parties lacked moral courage to oppose it.

You're watching a cheap remake by a POTUS desperate to take the focus off his deeds.

-_-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

“As Trump administration draws up war plans against Iran over what it says are threats to American troops and interests,

a senior British military official told reporters he saw NO increased risk from Iran or allied militias” https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/world/middleeast/trump-iran-threats.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share  via ⁦@nytimes

it was a steaming pile of lies. And in the fevered post-9/11 world, both parties lacked moral courage to oppose it.

You're watching a cheap remake by a POTUS desperate to take the focus off his deeds.

Really a Middle East War would be rrump's "Get-out-of-jail-free card" into a 4- more year lease on the White House. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

-_-

I take that as a yes, your sympathies will lie with iran.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Really a Middle East War would be rrump's "Get-out-of-jail-free card" into a 4- more year lease on the White House. 

dam right! when the stinkin' jihadist-minded Iranians start throwing terrorist like threat-insults at trump the American people's basic hatred of evil will kick in.

:D

4 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I take that as a yes, your sympathies will lie with iran.

I don't know why I bother to respond to your massive numbers of misconceptions, misstatements and worse.

However, the post to which you responded and article it referenced has ZERO sympathy with Iran.  However, it has 100% sympathy with the American people and the military forces that would be involved.  Of course never having been in combat, if in the military at all, you would not understand that.

Incidentally, as I have posted before I support a limited, measured reasonable, proportional response to anything Iran does that threatens the interest of the US.  However, there is considerable questioning re: the validity of the intelligence that was used to justify actions.

Sending the Abraham Lincoln and its support ships to the Middle East area is reasonable, but sending it into the Gulf itself would need more, verifiable justification.  Which the Trump administration is probably incapable of producing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I don't know why I bother to respond to your massive numbers of misconceptions, misstatements and worse.

However, the post to which you responded and article it referenced has ZERO sympathy with Iran.  However, it has 100% sympathy with the American people and the military forces that would be involved.  Of course never having been in combat, if in the military at all, you would not understand that.

Incidentally, as I have posted before I support a limited, measured reasonable, proportional response to anything Iran does that threatens the interest of the US.  However, there is considerable questioning re: the validity of the intelligence that was used to justify actions.

Sending the Abraham Lincoln and its support ships to the Middle East area is reasonable, but sending it into the Gulf itself would need more, verifiable justification.  Which the Trump administration is probably incapable of producing.

send it anyway as we will be self-validating.

why should we wait for scum to pick one first?

"lets get it over with!" -paul newman, somebody up there likes me.

:)

Image result for paul newman somebody up there likes me

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

send it anyway as we will be self-validating.

why should we wait for scum to pick one first?

"lets get it over with!"  NipkowDisc

:)

So, when are you going to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to assist in those wars?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

So, when are you going to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to assist in those wars?

our young fighting men doan need the help of an ole fogie like me.

I'll root from the sidelines. (a half a world away)

• Sad 3