Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Iran tensions escalate

Greg SargentVerified account @ThePlumLineGS 12h12 hours ago

...... An American official is now leaking to the NYT that the intelligence does *not* merit the current war planning against Iran,

and says the Trump administration is actively working to draw Iran into war:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/world/middleeast/trump-iran-threats.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage 

D6meikpXsAAMfe6.png
  • Thanks 1

The boss. Putin is a unique leader, a rare one. Congrats Russia.
5 months ago

View 33 replies

Richie Blackmore.
The "evil dictator" knows there's more to life/society/national security/democracy than spending on killing, war, intimidation, chaos, genocide and imperialism. Excellent Leadership.
5 months ago

Dragoslav Stojanovic
What luck must a nation have that has such a president. Bravo Putin! Bravo Rusija! Our hope against the warmongers and child murderers of NATO, our hope against the enslavement and dumbing down of the peoples. Thank you!!!
5 months ago

View 6 replies

· doubleplusgood · ʞɐǝdsʞɔnp ·
This is fascinating, at a time when NATO is goading Russia into spending more money on militarisation. Clearly Putin has better ideas than to spend money on more and more weapons. He also links the security of the state to these things.
5 months ago

View 11 replies

Gordon Fernandes
A balanced president. He know his countries priorities. But also keeps his one finger on the trigger. Locked & loaded. Meaning : Always looking over his shoulders, like the KGB.
5 months ago (edited)

Jozef Ciszewski
Why is it that in Russia the President is always on top of things ? Where in the west every corporation, military gangsters do whatever they want without even reporting anything to the President. Oh I see, in the west they run the Presidents, where in Russia President is the boss. Isn't it how it should be? Hmm.
5 months ago

View 57 replies

etniks
This is the correct approach for USA to follow given their whole economy is captive to the Military Industrial Complex, forcing their leaders to constantly be at war somewhere to justify the trillion dollars per year they receive (in excess 10 times more than Russias military budget)
5 months ago (edited)

View 12 replies

Jerry Raju
Clear,solid, precise and to the point with a clear vision and pinpointing the shortcomings.This is a very good lesson and a case study. I highly doubt whether the successor of Vladimir Putin could live with the standards set by the Putin
5 months ago

Altervideo.ch
Perfect example of where the state can and should interfere in private enterprise. In some circumstances the state has a capacity for long-term and strategic thinking which private enterprise is incapable of doing.
5 months ago

View 6 replies

Brahim Lakhel
Vladimir Putin best président for ever, long life to you and to your country and your people, God bless Russia

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Do you have to paste the comments section too? Those are just random people.

I am no better and neither are you
We are the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me, you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, TalkTalk123 said:

The boss. Putin is a unique leader, a rare one. Congrats Russia.
5 months ago

View 33 replies

Richie Blackmore.
The "evil dictator" knows there's more to life/society/national security/democracy than spending on killing, war, intimidation, chaos, genocide and imperialism. Excellent Leadership.
5 months ago

Dragoslav Stojanovic
What luck must a nation have that has such a president. Bravo Putin! Bravo Rusija! Our hope against the warmongers and child murderers of NATO, our hope against the enslavement and dumbing down of the peoples. Thank you!!!
5 months ago

View 6 replies

· doubleplusgood · ʞɐǝdsʞɔnp ·
This is fascinating, at a time when NATO is goading Russia into spending more money on militarisation. Clearly Putin has better ideas than to spend money on more and more weapons. He also links the security of the state to these things.
5 months ago

View 11 replies

Gordon Fernandes
A balanced president. He know his countries priorities. But also keeps his one finger on the trigger. Locked & loaded. Meaning : Always looking over his shoulders, like the KGB.
5 months ago (edited)

Jozef Ciszewski
Why is it that in Russia the President is always on top of things ? Where in the west every corporation, military gangsters do whatever they want without even reporting anything to the President. Oh I see, in the west they run the Presidents, where in Russia President is the boss. Isn't it how it should be? Hmm.
5 months ago

View 57 replies

etniks
This is the correct approach for USA to follow given their whole economy is captive to the Military Industrial Complex, forcing their leaders to constantly be at war somewhere to justify the trillion dollars per year they receive (in excess 10 times more than Russias military budget)
5 months ago (edited)

View 12 replies

Jerry Raju
Clear,solid, precise and to the point with a clear vision and pinpointing the shortcomings.This is a very good lesson and a case study. I highly doubt whether the successor of Vladimir Putin could live with the standards set by the Putin
5 months ago

Altervideo.ch
Perfect example of where the state can and should interfere in private enterprise. In some circumstances the state has a capacity for long-term and strategic thinking which private enterprise is incapable of doing.
5 months ago

View 6 replies

Brahim Lakhel
Vladimir Putin best président for ever, long life to you and to your country and your people, God bless Russia

Another bunch of nobodies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TalkTalk123 said:

I am no better and neither are you
We are the same, whatever we do
You love me, you hate me, you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah

lazy copy & paster.

:P

I've been an Iran fan since November of 1979 :). I doubt this is anything more than a little

tough guy saber rattling on Donny's part, maybe with instigation from chicken hawk Bolton.

Highly unlikely there will be a Iraq-like ground invasion, maybe a few missile strikes. Trump

is so clueless he likely didn't think this one through as he so often does.

Heard on the news a hour or so ago that Trump is mad at his advisors for being so militant toward Iran and trying to get US involved in another war in the Middle East.

Well, he picked Bolton and the rest of the current crew and ran off the few good ones he had.

Not sure a few missile or air strikes would be appropriate unless there was incontrovertible evidence that Iran did something really, really bad.  We don't want another Guns of August scenario.  

• Thanks 1

Mike - watching from Canada - I am horrified that people in the US are even considering corporate-owned two-faced politicians - like biden, harris, pelosi, schumer, mayor pete, orourke et al their ilk - BACK into running and ruining your country! I sincerely wish we had Sen. Sanders and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard here in Canada!! God help you all - to FINALLY vote for people who WILL stand up for you - NOT corporations/big banks/wall street/lobbyists!

Because the Middle-East could always use one more war. War mongerers like Bolton are always complaining about refugees, yet it's their wars that keeps creating refugees. So now they're gearing up to create another million refugees.
1 day ago

Bolton says he would do Iraq all over again. Knowing what he knows now.

FINALLY someone is calling out these cold blooded reptilian psychopaths!! Bernie is one of the few REAL humans left in politics, most of em sold out long ago!!

Nancy Mesek 2 ❤
Bernie is correct, once again. Tulsi’s ad was terrific too!

12 hours ago, TalkTalk123 said:
Mike - watching from Canada - I am horrified that people in the US are even considering corporate-owned two-faced politicians - like biden, harris, pelosi, schumer, mayor pete, orourke et al their ilk - BACK into running and ruining your country! I sincerely wish we had Sen. Sanders and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard here in Canada!! God help you all - to FINALLY vote for people who WILL stand up for you - NOT corporations/big banks/wall street/lobbyists!

Because the Middle-East could always use one more war. War mongerers like Bolton are always complaining about refugees, yet it's their wars that keeps creating refugees. So now they're gearing up to create another million refugees.
1 day ago

Bolton says he would do Iraq all over again. Knowing what he knows now.

FINALLY someone is calling out these cold blooded reptilian psychopaths!! Bernie is one of the few REAL humans left in politics, most of em sold out long ago!!

Nancy Mesek 2 ❤
Bernie is correct, once again. Tulsi’s ad was terrific too!

More ignorant people blabbing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheCid said:

More ignorant people blabbing.

I could see what the "people" say would irk you if your a corporate democrat or a Bolton supporter. I don't have a problem posting what everyday "people" think, I guess that makes me ignorant and prone to babbling in your eyes.

13 minutes ago, TalkTalk123 said:

I could see what the "people" say would irk you if your a corporate democrat or a Bolton supporter. I don't have a problem posting what everyday "people" think, I guess that makes me ignorant and prone to babbling in your eyes.

Yes.

21 minutes ago, TalkTalk123 said:

I could see what the "people" say would irk you if your* a corporate democrat or a Bolton supporter. I don't have a problem posting what everyday "people" think, I guess that makes me ignorant and prone to babbling in your eyes.

*you're

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TalkTalk123 said:

Correct as to your highlighted statement.  I am neither a corporate Democrat [large D] nor a Bolton supporter.  Far from it.  Incidentally, small case d means someone who believes in democracy.  Large case D means someone who belongs to the Democratic Party in the U.S.

The problem is you post so many comments from "everyday people."  Others post comments one or two authorities or other significant people on a topic.

Four Simple Steps the U.S. Media Could Take to Prevent a Trump War With Iran-

1. Stop the Stenography

Simply passing along the claims of U.S. officials to readers or viewers, without checking whether they are true or not, is not even close to the definition of journalism. Reporters are not supposed to be stenographers to the people in power; they’re supposed to hold power to account.

Showing blind faith in U.S. officials on national security issues, in particular, makes no sense whatsoever. The United States has a long history of starting, or escalating, conflicts on the basis of fraudulent threats and provocations........

2. Get Your Facts Straight

Iran does NOT have nuclear weapons. Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. Iran has complied with the terms of the nuclear deal.

These three statements represent the consensus view of, among others, the U.S. intelligence community, Israeli security chiefs, top U.S. generals, and, perhaps most importantly, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

4. Get Better Sources

Why only quote, or rely on, administration officials? Or men and women in uniform? Or folks from hawkish D.C. think tanks?

Why can’t we hear from skeptical and anti-war voices, too? From Iranian Americans perhaps?......

...With a know-nothing yet belligerent president in the Oval Office, a national security adviser who has dreamt of war for decades, and the Saudis baying for blood, the importance of fair and accurate reporting on Iran, and the threat that it may or may not pose, cannot be overstated.

Think about this: Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians, as well as more than 4,400 American troops, might be alive today had U.S. media organizations — with a few honorable exceptions — done their job in 2003.

In fact, a year after the invasion, in May 2004, the editors of the New York Times issued a stark mea culpa, under the headline “The Times and Iraq.”

“Controversial” information about Iraq and weapons of mass destruction, they admitted, was “insufficiently qualified or allowed to stand unchallenged. Looking back, we wish we had been more aggressive in re-examining the claims as new evidence emerged — or failed to emerge.”......

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/17/us-media-journalists-iran-coverage/

• Thanks 1

Noah ShachtmanVerified account @NoahShachtman 22h22 hours ago

NEW: Trump administration hawks have spent the last two weeks screaming about an increased threat from Iran.

But U.S. intelligence officials assess that Iran’s aggressive moves

came in response to the administration’s own actions....

".....I n addition, multiple lawmakers on Capitol Hill familiar with American intelligence about Iran told The Daily Beast that Tehran’s aggressive moves—reportedly planning attacks on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Iraq and loading missiles on fishing boats in the Gulf—appear to be in response to Washington’s moves to press the Islamic Republic and its leadership. The Trump administration’s decisions to tighten oil sanctions and to designate the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist group were particularly provocative, lawmakers said.....

“Without sharing any of the intelligence, the answer is, there’s nothing there that indicates that we should send B-52 bombers, a carrier fleet, and the Marines,” he said.

“So what’s going on here? What’s going on here? Wagging the dog?” .......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-admin-moves-fueled-irans-aggression-us-intel-says

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Noah ShachtmanVerified account @NoahShachtman 22h22 hours ago

NEW: Trump administration hawks have spent the last two weeks screaming about an increased threat from Iran.

But U.S. intelligence officials assess that Iran’s aggressive moves

came in response to the administration’s own actions....

".....I n addition, multiple lawmakers on Capitol Hill familiar with American intelligence about Iran told The Daily Beast that Tehran’s aggressive moves—reportedly planning attacks on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Iraq and loading missiles on fishing boats in the Gulf—appear to be in response to Washington’s moves to press the Islamic Republic and its leadership. The Trump administration’s decisions to tighten oil sanctions and to designate the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist group were particularly provocative, lawmakers said.....

“Without sharing any of the intelligence, the answer is, there’s nothing there that indicates that we should send B-52 bombers, a carrier fleet, and the Marines,” he said.

“So what’s going on here? What’s going on here? Wagging the dog?” .......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-admin-moves-fueled-irans-aggression-us-intel-says

What's going on is that Trump is trying to play strongman or something without a clue as to how dangerous this can be.  In addition, he has fired all the advisors who may tell him it is a mistake on his part.

10 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Chris MurphyVerified account @ChrisMurphyCT 3h3 hours ago

I'm listening to Republicans twist the Iran intel to make it sound like Iran is taking unprovoked, offensive measures against the U.S. and our allies. Like it just came out of nowhere.

I've read the intel too.

And let me be clear - that's NOT what the intel says.

It would help if Chris Murphy could specify what intel he has seen that leads to this conclusion.  If it is classified and he cannot reveal it, he should not post things such as the above.

That said, I do believe that Trumps actions on the nuclear agreement and other actions did probably precipitate the situation.  Be that as it may, Congress has done nothing to reverse Trump's actions.  And Iran is doing things that are not in the best interest of peace in the Gulf region.

British Major General Chris Ghika, the number two officer in the US led coalition fighting ISIS in Syria and Iraq, briefed Pentagon reporters on Tuesday and directly disputing what the Trump administration has been saying for the past ten days about Iran. As the New York Times reports, "The rare public dispute highlights a central problem for the Trump administration as it seeks to rally allies and global opinion against Iran."

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a cold-blooded reptilian psychopath?...

"Cold-Blooded Reptilian Psychopath" sounds like the name of a Japanese noise band.