• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

2 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Doris on her birthday April 3rd, 2019

photo-2-1.jpg

Who's the guy? Is he someone we should know?

• Thanks 1

eorry to bust some TCMN-ITES bubble here, but was not a fan of Doris, though respect her on film, especially with her passion for animals what we desperately need a ton more of

Only performance I liked her in with opposite a dynamic JAMES CAGNEY-(l899-l986) as the true to life Marty "The Gimp" Snyder. Many fans of hers were ultra furious when her peers ignored her for a Best Actress nom for 1955, but Cagney was obviously in that race

Just to match em up the Best actress contenders for '55 were:

*Anna Managna in "The Rose Tattoo" (won)

Katharine Hepburn, "The Rainmaker"

Susan Hayward, "I'll Cry Tomorrow

Eleanor Parker, "Interrupted Melody"

&you folks fill it in this time, know you can

2 minutes ago, spence said:

...the Best actress contenders for '55 were:

*Anna Managna in "The Rose Tattoo" (won)

Katharine Hepburn, "The Rainmaker"

Susan Hayward, "I'll Cry Tomorrow

Eleanor Parker, "Interrupted Melody"

Hepburn was nominated for THE RAINMAKER in 1956. In 1955, it was her performance in SUMMERTIME that was nominated. And you forgot to include Jennifer Jones for LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING.

• Like 1

In you view do you personally think Day deserved one of the slots?

5 minutes ago, spence said:

In you view do you personally think Day deserved one of the slots?

Yes, definitely. I would have dropped Parker from this group. Doris should have been nominated for LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME. Though my favorite is Hepburn's vulnerable but hopeful characterization in SUMMERTIME.

doris-day.jpg

Doris Day: Official Obituary made this point: (probably to put the Academy on the spot with some explaining to do as to why Doris did not get the recognition from the Academy)

"While Day was honored with many awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in 2008, she never won an Oscar, and many film critics and fans have decried the Academy’s overlooking Day’s talents."

https://www.dorisday.com/news/doris-day-official-obituary

That standard poodle in Doris's arms, by the way, looks EXACTLY like my Charley, a standard I had years ago.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Who's the guy? Is he someone we should know?

LOL. It's Michael Feinstein, who was there for the birthday charity event. He performed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, noah80 said:

doris-day.jpg

Doris Day: Official Obituary made this point: (probably to put the Academy on the spot with some explaining to do as to why Doris did not get the recognition from the Academy)

"While Day was honored with many awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in 2008, she never won an Oscar, and many film critics and fans have decried the Academy’s overlooking Day’s talents."

NO SH-T!!! (Pardon my French). I thought it nauseating hypocritical of them to offer their condolences after they ignored her for decades. Never giving her an honorary award. (And all the bull about her not showing  up, doesnt hold water. They've given it to others who havent attended. Godard refused to show up! He got his. Mary Pickford etc.....

11 hours ago, noah80 said:

Even though Doris is no longer with us, I have a feeling her fans are going to give one heck of a celebration to mark her 100th birthday in 2022!

calam1.jpg

Surely. I'm sure her annual birthday charity event will continue.

10 hours ago, noah80 said:

doris-day.jpg

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think this is due to TWO things:

1. As of 1968, Doris was (largely) done with HOLLYWOOD- at least film wise. She turned down big projects (in one such case. her refusal to do THE GRADUATE has actually become a part of the lore of the movie itself.) I think she didn't campaign for an HONORARY OSCAR, and I think a lot of the people who would've worked to pull strings to get it were told not to bother by DORIS, and I think Doris had ZERO INTEREST IN KISSING ANYBODY'S *** JUST FOR A FANCY 8 POUND DOORSTOP THE DOGS WERE PROBABLY GOING TO PEE ON.

2. Doris was, at least later on, a very Conservative Republican and I think, even a bit outspoken about her dislike for the direction movies were taking...(my personal standpoint being on the first one, hey, it's Dodo's business who she voted for, and on the second, we're pretty simpatico.) but let's face it- POLITICS and BUTT SMOOCHIN' are factors with the AMPAS....and DODO won't about to adapt in either respect.

long story short, they weren't asking, but neither was Doris...and had they just outright given it to her, she just might've shown up in a housecoat and no make-up and given everyone there the finger.

which, of course, would have been EPIC.

24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think this is due to TWO things:

1. As of 1968, Doris was (largely) done with HOLLYWOOD- at least film wise. She turned down big projects (in one such case. her refusal to do THE GRADUATE has actually become a part of the lore of the movie itself.) I think she didn't campaign for an HONORARY OSCAR, and I think a lot of the people who would've worked to pull strings to get it were told not to bother by DORIS, and I think Doris had ZERO INTEREST IN KISSING ANYBODY'S *** JUST FOR A FANCY 8 POUND DOORSTOP THE DOGS WERE PROBABLY GOING TO PEE ON.

2. Doris was, at least later on, a very Conservative Republican and I think, even a bit outspoken about her dislike for the direction movies were taking...(my personal standpoint being on the first one, hey, it's Dodo's business who she voted for, and on the second, we're pretty simpatico.) but let's face it- POLITICS and BUTT SMOOCHIN' are factors with the AMPAS....and DODO won't about to adapt in either respect.

long story short, they weren't asking, but neither was Doris...and had they just outright given it to her, she just might've shown up in a housecoat and no make-up and given everyone there the finger.

which, of course, would have been EPIC.

I've read about her being a Republican, but I've also read in some memoirs she was liberal minded on some social issues. Not too long ago she sent a greeting to some CA Gay bicycle race for charity. (Let's face it, Secret Love has taken on a new meaning over the years and Jane wasn't exactly a very femme lady). Plus there's Rock Hudson. And she's had her share of affairs over the years (not that Republicans can't have affairs).

Unless some explicit evidence comes out that Doris told the Academy she didnt want the award, I hold the Academy accountable. They love giving honorary awards to foreign directors (but not stars) or trendy new ones (Jackie Chan). But someone like Doris isn't on their radar. There are plenty of deserving performers that never got one. Irene Dunne comes to mind and she lived into her 90s as well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hibi said:

I've read about her being a Republican, but I've also read in some memoirs she was liberal minded on some social issues. Not too long ago she sent a greeting to some CA Gay bicycle race for charity. (Let's face it, Secret Love has taken on a new meaning over the years and Jane wasn't exactly a very femme lady). Plus there's Rock Hudson. And she's had her share of affairs over the years (not that Republicans can't have affairs).

Oh good, I'm glad. I've often wondered how DORIS dealt with her inadvertent LIFELONG LESBIAN ICON STATUS.

• Haha 1

Legendary actress and singer Doris Day dead at 97

NitPick Dept

When I was in college a long, long, long. time ago I wrote in a term paper, "... the actor and comedian, Bob Hope ... " The teacher of that class corrected me saying, you don't need to put '"actor and comedian" in front of name of that stature. Everybody know who he is. So I blame that teacher for what comes to mind when my eyes fall on the title of this thread. My teacher would say "Legendary Actress and Singer ..." is totally redundant. Especially for a venue like this. Looked at in a certain way, it is almost a put down.

[end of nit pick]

Doris Day’s publicist breaks silence on grandson’s claims that manager blocked him from seeing her

According to Walters, Bashara believed Ryan Melcher was “a great guy” who was eager to stay in touch with his beloved grandmother. They discussed the idea of Melcher and Day reuniting despite the family enduring a divorce.

Melcher's father and mother, actress Jacqueline Carlin, divorced in 1997.

“Doris was a very protective and very private person with everyone in her life,” Walters explained. “There have been a lot of people over the years who have taken advantage of her, including some of her ex-husbands. She was just very protective, and knowing that the family has been going through a divorce – which was something that Ryan didn’t really mention – she just said, ‘Bob, why don’t you go talk to him first.’ And he did.”

“Bob remembers the conversation being very cordial, very nice – he remembers Ryan being a great guy – and ended it with the idea that hopefully, they would be able to get together, but they didn’t make any definite plans other than he would contact Ryan later,” Walters continued. “And then, apparently a few days later some tabloid – the Globe or something like that – emerged and had this whole story, which she wasn’t sure was from Ryan or his mother, just kind of putting Doris down and it was really sad to see.”

Walters claimed that after Day spotted the gossip story, she decided to not get involved with the family drama. However, he alleged that Melcher didn’t attempt to contact his grandmother after that to clear the air.

“I can verify that I’ve worked with Bob for many years and he’s a wonderful guy who has taken really, really good care of Doris, which is not easy with all the different people that come after her,” said Walters. “All of our jobs are not really to promote her because it’s not what she wants — it’s to protect her. And Bob has done an excellent job of that from my perspective, even with the foundation.”

“The foundation is under really good hands,” insisted Walters. “Everything that I’ve ever done with them, they’re so careful about what they put out there, where money gets spent — it’s essentially an umbrella organization that provides help for animals and whatever else is needed, and it’s evolved over the years… she did have a very close hand in deciding where foundation dollars went, and now it’s just about preserving that legacy. But from my perspective, and I think it’s a good one because I’ve worked with her closely for 10 years, there’s no foul play there.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/doris-days-publicist-breaks-silence-on-grandsons-claims-that-manager-blocked-him-from-seeing-her

So what this article is saying is that Doris and her grandson did not get together because of a misunderstanding over a tabloid story.

Why does he say "there’s no foul play"? Are we expecting another Martin Melcher and Jerome Rosenthal situation?

11 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. It's Michael Feinstein, who was there for the birthday charity event. He performed.

I recognized him immediately-- makes all the sense in the world that he would be there to perform her music.