Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Does anybody know anything about the film Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? I see on imdb that it was an MGM release, which would seem to make it relatively stunning that TCM has never aired it (according to MCOH's database). Is it because Doris called it her least favorite film in her memoirs, describing how her soon to be ex husband signed her to do it without her knowledge (and that she spent every moment of the shoot she wasn't on camera on meds and in traction and barely even remembered making it)? I can almost imagine Robert Osborne, out of some loyalty to her, insisting to his bosses at TCM that this movie never be shown. But maybe I'm dramatacizing. Perhaps it's just some rights issue. But if anyone has any idea why TCM has never shown it, I'd like to hear.

I think there's a rights issue. MGM issued a VHS tape of it in 1994, but ever since then it has never been seen again. No DVD, no TCM.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2019 at 4:58 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Does anybody know anything about the film Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? I see on imdb that it was an MGM release, which would seem to make it relatively stunning that TCM has never aired it (according to MCOH's database). Is it because Doris called it her least favorite film in her memoirs, describing how her soon to be ex husband signed her to do it without her knowledge (and that she spent every moment of the shoot she wasn't on camera on meds and in traction and barely even remembered making it)? I can almost imagine Robert Osborne, out of some loyalty to her, insisting to his bosses at TCM that this movie never be shown. But maybe I'm dramatacizing. Perhaps it's just some rights issue. But if anyone has any idea why TCM has never shown it, I'd like to hear.

There must be some rights issue connected to the film. I dont remember ever seeing the film on tv on any station. it's possible it was aired on one of the 3 networks many years ago.  It wasn't Doris' least favorite. That "honor" went to Starlift and Caprice. I'm sure she didn't enjoy making it, as you said she was having back problems. 

I'm sure Doris' feelings about a film was not an issue at all about whether it aired or not. (It's not very good, but she's been in worse).

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, noah80 said:

Janis Paige (turning 97 years old this year) must not have been too happy when the film role went to Doris Day.   Paige had been performing as "Babe" in the Broadway musical The Pajama Game.

I don't think she held it against Doris. WB made it known that they wanted one star for box office in one of the two lead roles. When Sinatra turned down the Raitt role, they went with Doris for the Paige role.

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

There must be some rights issue connected to the film. I dont remember ever seeing the film on tv on any station. it's possible it was aired on one of the 3 networks many years ago.  It wasnt Doris' least favorite. That "honor" went to Starlift and Caprice. I'm sure she didn't enjoy making it, as you said she was having back problems. 

I'm sure Doris' feelings about a film was an issue at all about whether it aired or not. (It's not very good, but she's been in worse).

I just got Caprice from the library.  I had never even heard of this film.  I haven't watched it yet. 

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just got Caprice from the library.  I had never even heard of this film.  I haven't watched it yet. 

An odd mix of (bad) satire and suspense/adventure with Doris as a cosmetics "spy".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Could have been worse. I went in with rock bottom expectations though, so that might have had some influence. I laughed a few times. It's definitely livelier than Do Not Disturb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Could have been worse. I went in with rock bottom expectations though, so that might have had some influence. I laughed a few times. It's definitely livelier than Do Not Disturb.

YES. Definitely a lot more going on!

• Like 1

interesting note:

two band singers

40.jpg

Doris Day passed away on May 13 and Frank Sinatra on May 14

It's odd. I expected some mention on Nancy Sinatra's twitter account when Doris passed, but there was nothing. Especially weird as she did a radio interview with Doris a few years back about her father.

parts of the interview were played on Siriusly Sinatra (SiriusXM) in mid May

I guess since she got what she wanted out of Doris, she didn't care.

So I guess People and Life magazines are not going to publish a magazine as a tribute to Doris Day even though she was an icon (more than Moore or White).  The editors figure they probably won't make lots of money by publishing it.  It's all about profits.

mtm.jpg

ic.jpg

life60.jpg

I don't recall seeing Mary Tyler Moore or Betty White on Life magazine cover in the 1960's.

People magazine sure didn't forget Taylor in 2011

liz.jpg

car.jpg

People magazine also knew there were zillions of Star Wars fans out there ready to buy this issue. (lots of money!) (Note Debbie Reynolds not on cover)

I'm still hoping there might be. Has the new Closer with her on the cover on the stands yet? I haven't been in the supermarket this week yet.

Just sad how little coverage her death received by the media.

Lots of reasons I suppose for the lack of interest among the general press and population; dying young under questionable circumstances gets better play: Whitney Houston, Prince, Michael Jackson.

Should she survive to age 97, no one will probably care about Madonna's passing.

1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

Lots of reasons I suppose for the lack of interest among the general press and population; dying young under questionable circumstances gets better play: Whitney Houston, Prince, Michael Jackson.

Should she survive to age 97, no one will probably care about Madonna's passing.

True. THere is something to outliving your "time".

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm still hoping there might be. Has the new Closer with her on the cover on the stands yet? I haven't been in the supermarket this week yet.

Just sad how little coverage her death received by the media.

I saw the issue of Closer with Doris Day on the cover at Safeway today.

Has anyone read TCM article about Doris? It seems to be based on the book "Doris Day : Reluctant Star" by David Bret. (not a very good source to begin with) A quote from the article about Doris in 1944: "She also developed a diva complex and became notoriously difficult to work with, throwing tantrums and cursing liberally when she did not get her way."  So who wrote this garbage?

http://www.tcm.com/remembers/

On 5/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, speedracer5 said:

I saw the issue of Closer with Doris Day on the cover at Safeway today.

Yes, I was able to pick one up on Friday. There was only one left after I bought mine!

For those interested, there IS a special edition magazine about Doris in stores! People didn't do one, but the company that puts out Collector's Editions on stars. It's VERY pricey (I think 12 or 13.99) but it was worth it to me to own one. Very nice job and tons of pictures. (though I noticed several errors in it). They have her correct birth date on the cover, but inside it says 1924. Also it has a picture of the house she grew up in saying it was EVANSTON, ILLINOIS! DUH! It was the Evanston neighborhood in Cincinnati! I guess in the rush to get it out, they didnt do much fact checking...

Regarding the matter of Doris Day's age. Doris Day always knew she was born on April 3, 1922. That is the date on her marriage certificates and on her son's birth certificate (1942). There was never a question about that. When she signed with Warner Brothers in 1947 it was the decision of the studio to change her date of birth. In a Memorandum, several issues were raised out of concern for how to handle the new "property". 

The age of 25 was considered a little mature for starting a film career and so the decision was made to make her date of birth 1924, thus making her a 23 year old new contract player. The other issues raised were how to market someone who was already in their second marriage, which was faltering and had a then five year old son.  The last two matters were to be further discussed.  I have the original Memorandum in my possession as part of my research for my forthcoming book, "More Than Freckles: The Amazing Career of Doris Day".

In all the years I personally knew Doris, she never balked from discussing her date of birth privately. We had dinner in Carmel in 1987, shortly after she had turned 65. She had discussed with her biographer, A.E. Hotchner, revealing the real date in her mid-70's book, "Doris Day: her Own Story" but was talked out of it. In a similar vein, Time Magazine had planned a cover story around her in 1964 to both note her 40th birthday and the upcoming release of her third film with Rock Hudson. Their research easily found that she had been born in 1922 and they briefly considered calling the story, "Doris Day, 42, Turns 40!". Marty Melcher applied pressure via Rogers and Cowan to get the story squashed.  Doris even graciously agreed to allow me to use our picture for the cover of a book I wrote some years back. She was a gracious, honest and loyal friend. 

BookCover.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure Doris knew she was 22 years old when she went into the voting booth to vote for FDR in 1944. (voting age 21 at the time)

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 12:15 PM, Hibi said:

For those interested, there IS a special edition magazine about Doris in stores! People didn't do one, but the company that puts out Collector's Editions on stars. It's VERY pricey (I think 12 or 13.99) but it was worth it to me to own one. Very nice job and tons of pictures. (though I noticed several errors in it). They have her correct birth date on the cover, but inside it says 1924. Also it has a picture of the house she grew up in saying it was EVANSTON, ILLINOIS! DUH! It was the Evanston neighborhood in Cincinnati! I guess in the rush to get it out, they didnt do much fact checking...

Thanks for the info!

dd22.jpg