• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

14 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Thanks for the info!

dd22.jpg

YES! That's the issue I was referring to.

Don't forget. The Doris Day 24 hr marathon starts this Sunday, June 9th at 6AM. Be there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 9:19 PM, speedracer5 said:

Aside from TCM and personal collections, the following Doris films are available on streaming:

Hulu

I'll See You in My Dreams

Netflix

No Doris available

Amazon Prime

It Happened to Jane

The Doris Day Show (TV)

Starz

The Ballad of Josie

HBO Go

No Doris available 

Showtime Anytime

No Doris Available

Kanopy (available if your library participates)

Teacher's Pet

That Touch of Mink

I saw The Ballad of Josie on Starz for the first time.  Going into it, I really didn't think it would be much.  But I enjoyed it immensely!  I've always liked frontier westerns and this one was as comfortable as an old shoe.  And Doris doesn't even sing one song!  She and Peter Graves seemed to have good chemistry and the western spoof helped carry it along. 

There were preliminary discussions about the possibility of John Wayne co-starring in "Josie" because the film was directed by his good friend, Andrew McLaglen. The title would also have been changed to "Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch". Martin Melcher puts the kibosh on that quickly, however.  If Wayne had come on-board, his production company would have also co-produced with Melcher's Arwin Productions. In addition, Wayne wanted some major rewriting of the script to give his character more to do. Then there was the matter of Wayne's salary. For Melcher, he saw the budget doubling or better which would have mean it needed to recoup much more before showing a profit for Arwin and he was unwilling to discuss it beyond prelims. Of course ultimately there was no profit to be made and the film took a hefty loss. Had Wayne been the co-star, there's a good chance that the teaming of Day and Wayne and some changes in the script, might have resulted in a very profitable enterprise for all involved. 

On 5/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Hibi said:

I know. She was perfect for the role, she was considered, but she didnt get the part. I remember reading in one of Josh Logan's memoirs that "they" (forget who else on the team, might've been Rodgers and Hammerstein) asked her to sing something at a party and she declined and they nixed her for the role.Seems a stupid reason to nix someone for a part. I think there must've been something else going on. Mitzi would've been a cheaper salary for sure. Doris had WAY more box office clout than MITZI GAYNOR. It's possible Doris' hubby Marty Melcher spoiled it somehow. He might've wanted a co-producer credit and salary on it which he got on many of her post WB films (for doing nothing, really).

She also lost out on Molly Brown. I think MGM bought the property with her in mind, but after Jumbo tanked, they decided to go with someone else. They offered it to Shirley MacLaine, but she couldnt get out of her Hal Wallis contract so Debbie Reynolds did it. Another role perfect role for Doris.

She was also considered for the Sound of Music and Hello Dolly. I think her age probably was against her for Music, but I would've loved to see her as Dolly.

Somewhere in the past I've read that Melcher was responsible.  He asked for way too much money for Doris.  When the producers countered, he refused to consider their offer.  So the part went to Mitzi, who, in my opinion, was a mistake.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, Hibi said:

That's sad. Is the neighborhood a slum now? The house doesnt look in bad shape. I looked at a map and it's in the NE area of Cinci. Not really familiar with the city. I know they named a street for her downtown. Doris Day Way.

I read somewhere (maybe her bio?) that Vera-Ellen and Doris Day took dance lessons at the same studio.  While they were not childhood friends, they knew each other from the classes.

15 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

Somewhere in the past I've read that Melcher was responsible.  He asked for way too much money for Doris.  When the producers countered, he refused to consider their offer.  So the part went to Mitzi, who, in my opinion, was a mistake.

That's possible too. He mismanaged her career for his own benefit...Mitzi was ok, but Doris would've been a much better choice.

11 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

I read somewhere (maybe her bio?) that Vera-Ellen and Doris Day took dance lessons at the same studio.  While they were not childhood friends, they knew each other from the classes.

I hadn't heard that. Didn't know Vera-Ellen was from Cinci.

My apologies if someone has already answered this, but does anyone know if or when the pre-empted movies this Sunday are going to be re-scheduled?  I'm especially thinking about Nora Prentiss with the Eddie Muller introduction, along with The Big City, and The Coward.  I know that Nora Prentiss is playing at midnight on Saturday, but I'm always out of the house at that time and I like to catch Eddie Muller on Sunday morning, often just for his opening and closing commentary.

A great jazz tune from Doris in her first film

"It's You or No One" had two versions.  Ballad or jazz

On 6/3/2019 at 3:36 PM, filmnoirguy said:

You are right! I checked imdb. Didnt know Vera came from the Cinci. area. She was just one year older than Doris, so if they went to the same dancing school, am sure they did know each other.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:14 PM, AndyM108 said:

My apologies if someone has already answered this, but does anyone know if or when the pre-empted movies this Sunday are going to be re-scheduled?  I'm especially thinking about Nora Prentiss with the Eddie Muller introduction, along with The Big City, and The Coward.  I know that Nora Prentiss is playing at midnight on Saturday, but I'm always out of the house at that time and I like to catch Eddie Muller on Sunday morning, often just for his opening and closing commentary.

I doubt Noir Alley will be repeated as they are running it on Sat night. As far as I know, Noir Alley hasn't aired repeats. As for the others, you'll have to keep checking the schedule for the particular film. TCM never makes announcements about rescheduled movies that I know of. Sometimes they will return, no guarantee though as to when or if.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone planning to watch all day Sunday? I'm planning to until midnight. (nothing I want to watch again after that hour) I may stay up all night Sat or go to bed early (I'm used to staying up till 3 or 4am, so not worth it to sleep an hour or two, I know I won't want to get up)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Is anyone planning to watch all day Sunday?

It is too bad TCM doesn't include anything from her TV shows or specials. I just watched The Glass Bottom Boat and they are not showing The Thrill Of It All. I would love to see The Pajama Game on TCM.

To be honest, watching her now would make me sad. I will probably watch a few movies though.

TCM NEVER shows Pajama Game! Years ago they used to. Unsure why.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

TCM NEVER shows Pajama Game! Years ago they used to. Unsure why.

Before Netfix streaming, my brother gave me a Netfix DVD gift card. Very first disc was The Pajama Game. First and only time I've seen it. We had a new TV, but didn't purchase a sound bar yet. So I want to see it again with good sound.

Many years ago before DVD/Blu-Ray I had a Laser Disc player and bought The Pajama Game.

"I'm Not at All in Love" and "There Once Was a Man" were my favorite scenes to play over and over.

• Like 1

globe.jpg

I think it was this magazine (March 2013) that Doris got very upset and she encouraged people not to buy it at the time. (I believe she did it through her website.)  The issue revealed in great details about her current family problems and that her grandson was no longer in her will.  Thus no get together with her grandson for her birthday party in April 2014.

Her grandson, Ryan, said he only learned of her death on social media.

Via Facebook, he claimed that he had not spent much time with his grandmother since childhood due to his father’s bitter divorce from his mother, Jacqueline Carlin, in 1997. But, he added, Day invited him to dinner after Terry’s death. When he arrived, Bashara blocked him from seeing her.

“She had been so happy to talk to me and we were both excited for our upcoming dinner together just a week before, and this man was clearly manipulating the situation,” Ryan wrote.

He added: “Any and all communication was cut off from that point on . . . I later learned that [Bashara] had fired all the longstanding members on my grandma’s Foundation board and appointed his direct family as the new board members. It seemed I was not the only one who had been cut out.”

According to Charley Cullen Walters, Day’s publicist for the past decade, it was the star’s decision not to see Ryan.

But, DeVita admitted, “The story with the grandson is so weird . . . Doris really wanted to reconnect.”

Now, a neighbor of Day’s said, insiders are wondering what happens with the star’s estate, including her $300,000 Carmel home and the foundation, which, according to 2017 tax returns, had total assets of $4,586,346.

“There is a lot of bad feeling surrounding the last few years of Doris’ life and how friends and family were pushed out,” the neighbor said. “There’s plenty of people wondering just how Bob is going to profit from all this.”

Bashara did not reply to requests for comment, nor did Ryan Melcher.

“I saw Bob protecting Doris first hand . . . He’s always been very careful to follow Doris’ wishes to support the foundation,” said Walters.

“Doris did have people who tried to take advantage of her, including her husbands,” Walters added. “But I don’t want her to be remembered for these tragedies.”

Indeed, Day would have wanted nothing to do with the chaos.

Bashara has said the star specified in her will that she wanted no funeral service or grave marker, and that she wanted her fortune to go to the Doris Day Animal Foundation. (No will has yet been publicly filed.)

“In the last 20 years of her life, all she cared about was her animals,” said the neighbor. “She trusted animals more than she did humans. I don’t blame her.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/06/08/the-tragic-last-days-of-manipulated-hollywood-icon-doris-day/