Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

9 hours ago, noah80 said:

Her grandson, Ryan, said he only learned of her death on social media.

Via Facebook, he claimed that he had not spent much time with his grandmother since childhood due to his father’s bitter divorce from his mother, Jacqueline Carlin, in 1997. But, he added, Day invited him to dinner after Terry’s death. When he arrived, Bashara blocked him from seeing her.

“She had been so happy to talk to me and we were both excited for our upcoming dinner together just a week before, and this man was clearly manipulating the situation,” Ryan wrote.

He added: “Any and all communication was cut off from that point on . . . I later learned that [Bashara] had fired all the longstanding members on my grandma’s Foundation board and appointed his direct family as the new board members. It seemed I was not the only one who had been cut out.”

According to Charley Cullen Walters, Day’s publicist for the past decade, it was the star’s decision not to see Ryan.

But, DeVita admitted, “The story with the grandson is so weird . . . Doris really wanted to reconnect.”

Now, a neighbor of Day’s said, insiders are wondering what happens with the star’s estate, including her $300,000 Carmel home and the foundation, which, according to 2017 tax returns, had total assets of $4,586,346.

“There is a lot of bad feeling surrounding the last few years of Doris’ life and how friends and family were pushed out,” the neighbor said. “There’s plenty of people wondering just how Bob is going to profit from all this.”

Bashara did not reply to requests for comment, nor did Ryan Melcher.

“I saw Bob protecting Doris first hand . . . He’s always been very careful to follow Doris’ wishes to support the foundation,” said Walters.

“Doris did have people who tried to take advantage of her, including her husbands,” Walters added. “But I don’t want her to be remembered for these tragedies.”

Indeed, Day would have wanted nothing to do with the chaos.

Bashara has said the star specified in her will that she wanted no funeral service or grave marker, and that she wanted her fortune to go to the Doris Day Animal Foundation. (No will has yet been publicly filed.)

“In the last 20 years of her life, all she cared about was her animals,” said the neighbor. “She trusted animals more than she did humans. I don’t blame her.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/06/08/the-tragic-last-days-of-manipulated-hollywood-icon-doris-day/

What a mess that all was/is.

Well, today, we can focus on the good stuff. Doris' movies on TCM.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, Hibi said:

Don't forget. The Doris Day 24 hr marathon starts this Sunday, June 9th at 6AM. Be there!

The marathon started at 3am for me.  I got up at 7:30am.  I'm starting with Tea For Two.  I enjoy this film and Doris' other collaborations with Gordon MacRae. I see that On Moonlight Bay is next.  I literally just watched this film two days ago when it was scheduled as part of the Booth Tarkington theme. I actually purchased On Moonlight Bay a while back but hadn't seen it before.  I really enjoyed the second part of this series, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and wanted to see the first part. I took a chance on an unseen film and I'm glad I did.  On Moonlight Bay was very enjoyable. 

I think I own almost every film featured or in the case of My Dream is Yours and Julie, I have them recorded already.  I am recording Romance on the High Seas.  I've never seen this film and it was the one scheduled at 3am. 

I got up at 6AM after 3 hrs sleep and managed to nod through Romance on the High Seas and My Dream Is Yours (Thank God for the rewind feature on the DVR!) then had to take a break to lay down again. I watched most of the day through midnight. Was a glitch in my cable and wasnt able to watch the last half hr of Love Me or Leave Me, but I've seen it so many times, didnt matter. Was the first time I'd seen Calamity Jane in its entirety in probably decades (I've seen parts of it now and then). Doris' energy in that film wipes one out! I think the day proved how much range Doris really did have in her acting. She didn't just play herself in every film. Too bad they couldn't have shown the Man Who Knew Too Much. I think Lover Come Back is still her funniest film.

Was a bit disappointed they didnt have wraparounds until the early afternoon on the films. (First with Malone, then later with Mank).

• Like 2

I missed Romance on the High Seas (3AM start) and My Dream is Yours. I started watching halfway through Tea For Two and stayed all the way through Lover Come Back.  This was my first time watching Calamity Jane in its entirety as well.  Doris was great, and I love Howard Keel's voice! I only watched bits and pieces of Please Don't Eat the Daisies.  It's not one of my favorite Doris films and I had to go pick up stuff for dinner.  I never tire of Pillow Talk or Lover Come Back.  I also love her films with Gordon MacRae.

I also wish they had shown The Man Who Knew Too MuchThat Touch of Mink is also great. 

noah80, why did you only post part of that Page Six story? Was confusing as there were people quoted who were in parts that weren't posted. I read the whole thing from the url. Sad, as it sounds like Doris was manipulated in her final years. I don't know what to think of the head of the foundation now. Sounds like a power grab. I noticed that Malone quoted him in her wraparounds a few times as to what Doris was like in her personal life.

Hey.  Who watched Doris Day’s memorial tribute yesterday and really loved it?  I did.  I watched it all day yesterday and just really loved it a whole lot.  She was a really wonderful actress and singer.  Wasn’t she?  One of my very favorites that she and Rock Hudson did together is Pillow Talk.  That’s a really wonderful movie.  I just really love it a whole lot.  She and Rock Hudson were also really wonderful together in all the movies they did together.  Weren’t they and they were also really great and really wonderful friends too.  Weren’t they?  Calamity Jane is a really great movie too.  A drama western musical right and the one where she actually plays a singer and I just really loved the Spy movie she was in last night too.  I thought she played a really great part in that one and did everybody see Paul Lynde?  He’s in it too.  He just really cracks me up.  He was a really great and really funny guy.  Wasn’t he?  I just really loved him a whole lot and was Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much the only Alfred Hitchcock movie she did or did she do more then one and was that on as part of her memorial tribute yesterday too?  I just really loved Doris Day a whole lot.  We all did.  Didn’t we?  She will really be missed a whole lot.  Won’t she?  We all really love you a whole lot and we’ll all really miss you a whole lot Doris Day.

Sadly, most of my CD's are packed away as I'll be moving and I can't locate most of them. I have a good number of individual Doris CDs and all the Bear Media box sets from Germany.

This was the very first Doris Day album I listened to many years ago (if you're going to listen to Doris Day for the first time, it might as well be her greatest hits!).  I loved every song on the album except "Love Me or Leave Me" (probably why it was listed at the bottom).  The album was originally released in 1958... Doris 36 years old.

great1.jpg

• Like 1

I downloaded “The Essential Doris Day” on my Apple Music. It’s a great collection of songs. While I knew Day was a singer, I had no idea she was so prolific.  It was only after her passing that I learned about the 650+ songs she recorded. I’d love to get a Doris Day vinyl for my record player. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Hey.  Who watched Doris Day’s memorial tribute yesterday and really loved it?  I did.  I watched it all day yesterday and just really loved it a whole lot.  She was a really wonderful actress and singer.  Wasn’t she?  One of my very favorites that she and Rock Hudson did together is Pillow Talk.  That’s a really wonderful movie.  I just really love it a whole lot.  She and Rock Hudson were also really wonderful together in all the movies they did together.  Weren’t they and they were also really great and really wonderful friends too.  Weren’t they?  Calamity Jane is a really great movie too.  A drama western musical right and the one where she actually plays a singer and I just really loved the Spy movie she was in last night too.  I thought she played a really great part in that one and did everybody see Paul Lynde?  He’s in it too.  He just really cracks me up.  He was a really great and really funny guy.  Wasn’t he?  I just really loved him a whole lot and was Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much the only Alfred Hitchcock movie she did or did she do more then one and was that on as part of her memorial tribute yesterday too?  I just really loved Doris Day a whole lot.  We all did.  Didn’t we?  She will really be missed a whole lot.  Won’t she?  We all really love you a whole lot and we’ll all really miss you a whole lot Doris Day.

Doris only made one film with Hitchcock. It was not featured yesterday. 

If you like torch songs, Doris Day's album of torch songs, You're My Thrill, is superb. Eight great songs, each one perfectly sung.

We watched most of Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back last night, and I was struck by how well Doris does comic anger. She conveys the anger, but always in scale for romantic comedy. Though I'm not that crazy about the genre of films she often made, she's pretty, she's adorable, and her performance is right on the money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, noah80 said:

This was the very first Doris Day album I listened to many years ago (if you're going to listen to Doris Day for the first time, it might as well be her greatest hits!).  I loved every song on the album except "Love Me or Leave Me" (probably why it was listed at the bottom).  The album was originally released in 1958... Doris 36 years old.

great1.jpg

It only contains some of her hits. Many of her early hits are not included.

4 minutes ago, noah80 said:

They would be on the Doris Day's Greatest Hits Volume 2

There's a volume 2??? I've only seen that one.

It didn't take them long. This is set to be released in July. I'm thinking of ordering it. I'm sure I probably have all the songs on various discs, but might have some nice pictures and info included, plus the price is very affordable!

She recorded through '66, so some later recordings wouldn't be included.

79 songs for 16.49!

https://www.amazon.com/Hits-Collection-1945-62-Doris-Day/dp/B07RLHQ7VV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=doris+day&qid=1560277806&s=music&sr=1-2

• Like 1

In a 1974  Johnny Carson interview, Doris told him she was no longer afraid of flying. Yet in 2004 the press kept saying that Doris did not go to Washington to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom because she was afraid of flying.  I'm sure she was thinking more about her son's health in 2004.

June 23, 2004 – Is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

November 19, 2004 – Day’s only child, Terry Melcher, dies of cancer.

What Ruth Etting thought about the film Love Me or Leave Me:

Her life was the basis for the fictionalized 1955 film, Love Me or Leave Me, which starred Doris Day (as Etting), James Cagney (as Snyder) and Cameron Mitchell (as Alderman). Etting, Myrl Alderman and Moe Snyder all sold their rights to the story to MGM; Snyder was living in Chicago in 1955. Etting expressed sadness that "the real highlight of my life", her marriage to Alderman, was omitted from the film. Shortly before her death, Etting said she thought the screen portrayal of her was too tough and that Jane Powell would have been a better choice for the lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Etting

also...

Along with Ruth Etting and Myrl Alderman, Martin Snyder sold his rights to his story to MGM for the 1955 film Love Me or Leave Me. James Cagney portrayed Snyder in the film, which was a fictionalized biography of Etting, who was played by Doris Day. Snyder was very dissatisfied with the way he was portrayed in the film.

interview with Doris Day in April 2019

Why do you think your films continue to resonate with fans of all ages?

I get so many love letters from fans as young as 8 years old, telling me they were introduced by my films and music by their great-grandmothers, and my movies make them happy. Different films resonate with viewers for different reasons, but the common thread seems to be that my films are uplifting. 

Pillow Talk is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year. What can you share about filming this iconic movie?

I had such fun working with my pal, Rock. We laughed our way through three films we made together and remained great friends. I miss him.

What is your favorite film of all time, and why is that the choice?

I’ve always been a little partial to Calamity Jane. I was such a tomboy growing up, and she was such a fun character to play. Of course, the music was wonderful, too — “Secret Love,” especially, is such a beautiful song.

Your costumes in Pillow Talk, by Jean Louis and Bill Thomas, also stand out as a great example of fashion-in-film of that era, and have influenced modern fashion designers. How important were the costumes in forming a character in your work?

I was very fortunate to work with talented costume designers. The costumes in Pillow Talk were trend-setting and certainly informed the role I played. I wish I still had some of them.

Finally, how would you describe your legacy in film? What impact do you believe you ultimately made on 20th century cinema?

I enjoyed working and always tried to do the best job I could with every role. I’m thrilled to know that people are still watching my films and are uplifted by them.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doris-day-talks-turning-97-her-animal-philanthropy-rock-hudson-1199279

calam.gif

On 6/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, noah80 said:

In a 1974  Johnny Carson interview, Doris told him she was no longer afraid of flying. Yet in 2004 the press kept saying that Doris did not go to Washington to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom because she was afraid of flying.  I'm sure she was thinking more about her son's health in 2004.

June 23, 2004 – Is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

November 19, 2004 – Day’s only child, Terry Melcher, dies of cancer.

I'm sure it was used just an excuse because she didn't want to travel anywhere or appear in public.