50.jpg

only four actresses are left from this book:

Kim Novak
Shirley MacLaine
Sophia Loren
Olivia de Havilland

TCM schedule change

dorisday_obit_cu_01_100x148_051320191141

Turner Classic Movies will broadcast its tribute to Doris Day on Sunday the 9th of June with the following festival of films. This program will replace the previously scheduled movies for that day.

6:00 a.m. Romance on the High Seas (1948)

8:00 a.m. My Dream is Yours (1949)

10:00 a.m. Tea for Two (1950)

11:45 a.m. On Moonlight Bay (1951)

1:45 p.m. Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

4:00 p.m. Calamity Jane (1953)

6:00 p.m. Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

8:00 p.m. Pillow Talk (1959)

10:00 p.m. Lover Come Back (1961)

12:00 a.m. Move Over Darling (1963)

2:00 a.m. The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)

4:00 a.m. Julie (1956)

• Thanks 5

She only made 39 movies. Just watch 'em all. That's what I'm doing, slowly but surely. I'm at 31 out of 39 at the moment. I have these left to see:

• The Thrill of It All (1963)
  • Move Over, Darling (1963)
  • Send Me No Flowers (1964)
  • Do Not Disturb (1965)
  • The Ballad of Josie (1967)
  • Caprice (1967)
  • Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)
  • With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)

I know 97 is a very long life, but a sad loss when that person is one as lovely and gracious as Doris.

Thanks for looking out for the creatures who don't speak a human language, Doris.  ~RIP

• Like 5

Very sad. Even though she was 97 I had hoped she would make it to 100. She was a beautiful human being with a big heart and soul. I remember her voice talking about Rock Hudson on a TCM clip and when she mentioned how much she still missed him her voice broke as if she broke into tears. She's now reunited with her only child Terry and all her other dear friends (including dogs). The pet world has also lost a great advocate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about Doris' passing. The animal advocates have lost great friend. There is a film that made me aware of her as a child."THAT TOUCH OF MINK"1961.  I loved it as a child.  It hasn't been shown for decades.I loved the automat scene.  I do not understand why it isn't played?  It has CARY GRANT in it as well.  It is a .charming comedy with Doris playing so well with Cary.

Words cannot express how important and unique Doris Day's contribution is to Hollywood Cinema.

If she had just been a good singer, or a good comedic actress, or a good dramatic actress oh, that would have just been fantastic. But what she ended up becoming was an icon for the time she ruled the box office and not just with the Ross Hunter /Rock Hudson vehicles, but also in the critically acclaimed dramatic films, including Hitchcock's " The Man Who Knew Too Much ".

Yes, she was multi-talented and deserved her box office clout and her exalted place in classic films.

But what always impressed me the most about her

(And also about most of the great classic actors and actresses of the Hollywood Golden Era)

was that she was a Class Act, a professional who never gave a bad performance or let the public down in her work, even when she was personally having a hard time of it.

There was nothing fake or phony about Doris Day. Her generosity and kindness toward people and animals was sincere and profound.

For someone who ruled the Hollywood box office for so many years, there was nothing Hollywood about her.

Sometimes when a person has diverse talents, some of them are overlooked a lot by the public. Now I hope people can appreciate not just that she was a great comedic actress, but also that she was a great dramatic actress.

Her acting ability came through first in her singing.

After reading her autobiography years ago, I realized what an astonishingly strong and courageous person this woman was.

And that's how I plan to remember her.

• Like 5

I found something I wrote on my blog a few years ago. About Doris. Really more about Doris' television show. But I think it might be worth sharing:

Doris is the whole show

Screen shot 2015-11-21 at 9.57.16 AM

I've been watching episodes of The Doris Day Show. Me-TV, a station that specializes in golden age television, presented something called Doris Day Day when she had a milestone birthday.

Screen shot 2015-11-21 at 10.00.19 AM

The station aired seven episodes of Doris' sitcom that originally ran from 1968-1973. Each episode was given a 35-minute time slot to allow commercials (for Petco and the Doris Day Animal Foundation) and cast wraparounds (with Doris doing a voice over at the end).

The episodes aired were: 'The Buddy' (from S1); 'Doris Gets a Job' (from S2); 'Doris Finds an Apartment (from S3); 'Tony Bennett Is Eating Here' (from S3); 'Doris Goes to Hollywood' (from S3); 'Hospital Benefit' (from S5); and 'It's a Dog's Life' (from S5). No season 4 episodes were selected.
Screen shot 2015-11-21 at 10.04.12 AM

Several cast members were interviewed. Kaye Ballard, who had three of her dogs with her, talked about Doris' hotel in Carmel which allows dogs. Plus Kaye said she named the restaurant in the show after an Italian eatery in NYC she liked. Bernie Kopell talked about the Tony Bennett episode. Rose Marie discussed Doris' acting and comic timing. Philip Brown said he felt like Doris was really his mother for 12 hours a day, though he had a crush on her. Plus he said there were animals on the set and there was always something to do. James Hampton said he wishes the show could have lasted ten years, and that when Doris' character moved off the farm, she had a better wardrobe. Jackie Joseph described becoming a life-long friend of Doris' and she also mentioned Doris' cottage-style dressing room at the end of the set where she would take breaks to spend time with her dogs. The best behaved animals would be able to come on to the set and sit on or under the cast members' chairs-- though Jackie said they were always quiet.
Screen shot 2015-11-21 at 10.10.57 AM

Lee Meriwether, who guest-starred in the hospital benefit/fashion show episode from season 5, was interviewed briefly. There were well-wishers like Tony Bennett, who appeared in one of the episodes, plus some of Doris' friends who did not appear on the show, like Betty White, Robert Wagner and Connie Francis who all wished her a happy birthday.

Screen shot 2015-11-21 at 9.55.28 AM

There are 128 episodes of The Doris Day Show. I tend to create my own themes when I watch the episodes. For example, I might focus on ones that include Kaye Ballard. Or ones where Billy DeWolfe appears as a recurring character. Something I read in a user review about the sitcom caught my attention. A reviewer on the IMDb stated that Doris’ sitcom was not really a classic, since most of the supporting characters were not as developed as what we’d find in The Dick Van Dyke Show or The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

screen-shot-2015-11-21-at-10-30-10-am.pn

The reviewer blamed the problem on the fact all plots had to revolve around Doris. To some extent that is true, and it does seem to be the case, when in the later seasons, her character moves off the farm and even her children are dropped from the storylines. With the exception of Billy DeWolfe’s character Mr. Jarvis, most of the neighbors and the officer workers are basically props in Doris’ stories. Even the boyfriends do not seem to have much character development, and they are just as disposable as her bosses and various associates.

screen-shot-2015-11-21-at-10-33-14-am.pn

Another reviewer said the show seldom distinguished itself by rising above formulaic sitcom conventions popular at the time. Not sure if I agree with this particular statement. All sitcoms have a formula that works for them, and within the parameters of the format, Doris’ TV series does try to be a bit thought-provoking. One episode from the beginning of season 3 called ‘The Feminist’ seems like a clever poke at how Doris herself might be perceived as a trailblazer. Hardly standard sitcom fare, if you ask me.

screen-shot-2015-11-21-at-10-34-59-am.pn

There was previously a Doris Day Show on the radio. And if you look at all the movies Doris made, especially the first batch at Warner Brothers in the late 1940s and early 1950s, you will have to admit that Doris herself is the whole show. Most people do not approach a viewing of LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME to see James Cagney, as great as he may be; nor do they watch CALAMITY JANE to see anyone else but Doris. She’s the reason folks tune in. And probably the producers and writers of her sitcom knew it. Doris herself knew it.

screen-shot-2015-11-21-at-10-29-14-am.pn

All her film and television vehicles were plotted around Doris' unique talents and personality. And there’s a reason people were still remembering and honoring her years later in her 90s. She brought a sense of fun to the audience, a sense of down to earth entertainment.

screen-shot-2015-11-21-at-10-34-29-am.pn

• Like 1

well, she hadda go sometime.

when reporting her passing cnn got her age wrong.

57 indeed.

:angry:

Image result for doris day as mata hari

Image result for john wayne doris day

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for mentioning STORM WARNING. What an interesting film. She's married to bad boy Steve Cochran in that one, and Ginger Rogers plays her sister. Supposedly the script was written for Joan Crawford. But Crawford turned it down and told Jack Warner "nobody would buy us as sisters" (referring to her and Day). Warner realized she was right and cast Ginger instead.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.22.44 PM.png

It's such a nice, quiet performance by Day which goes to show you that she could be a fine dramatic actress.  Joan playing her sister?? No way!

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’ll be honest, while she was a terrific actress and made a lot of great movies, I have to admit many of them are not exactly my cup of tea.

AS A SINGER THO, She is an absolute legitimate contender for the title of “greatest voice of the 20th century” along with Judy, Ella, Elvis, Bing, Dino and Frances Albert. 

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of some of the "cheesy" Rock Hudson rom-coms but the Man Who Knew Too Much is such a great film with Day at her peak. RIP 

doris-day-man-who-knew-too-much-blu-ray-

36 minutes ago, lydecker said:

It's such a nice, quiet performance by Day which goes to show you that she could be a fine dramatic actress.  Joan playing her sister?? No way!

Well if Joan had done it, they probably would have put Doris in something else and found a brunette actress to play Joan's sister. I think it could have been quite good with Joan, but I'm glad it has Ginger with Doris. 

• Like 1

I wrote this on Facebook about her passing (and yes, it hurts, even though she made it to a ripe old age.)

Doris Day has passed away. I knew this news would come within the next few years, but I didn't expect it so soon, as the reports were that she was still in excellent health last month. Suffice it to say, she was one of my all time favorite movie stars, which makes this news even more painful. I've seen 37 of her 39 films (and parts of a 38th), so I am very familiar with her films.

Her best was Pillow Talk, a sensational romantic comedy with a brilliantly funny script, but there were so many other gems; On Moonlight Bay, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, calamity Jane, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Lover Come Back, That Touch of Mink, Jumbo, Move Over Darling, The Thrill of It All, The Glass Bottom Boat...

She could make any film worth watching, and although some of her films were better then others, there wasn't a bad one in the bunch, and in all of them she was brilliant.

RIP to one of the all-time greats.

• Like 1

So what was bumped from TCM's June schedule to make way for Doris' 24-hour memorial tribute?

An evening of Patty Duke films, which I figure will be rescheduled for September or October.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, TopBilled said:

So what was bumped from TCM's June schedule to make way for Doris' 24-hour memorial tribute?

An evening of Patty Duke films, which I figure will be rescheduled for September or October.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

image.png.6c2da5153ece53f1b6c602944a788743.png

Thank you. That's great. I couldn't remember what was scheduled in the morning.

For me these are the essentials of Doris Day films

On Moonlight Bay (1951) (the girl next door role)
Calamity Jane (1953) (the tomboy role)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) (the dramatic role)
That Touch of Mink (1962) (the comedy role)

1962.jpg

Doris taking a break from That Touch of Mink

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

She only made 39 movies. Just watch 'em all. That's what I'm doing, slowly but surely. I'm at 31 out of 39 at the moment. I have these left to see:

• The Thrill of It All (1963)
  • Move Over, Darling (1963)
  • Send Me No Flowers (1964)
  • Do Not Disturb (1965)
  • The Ballad of Josie (1967)
  • Caprice (1967)
  • Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)
  • With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)

All are shown on TCM and Caprice has been shown on FMC, however Do Not Disturb (as far as I know) and Where Were You When The Lights Went Out, I don't think either has been shown in years anywhere. Not sure if Caprice has been shown on TCM, but FMC has shown the film.

My parents had Doris Day's album You're My Thrill, a collection of eight torch songs which Doris sings divinely. Her singing truly shows "the art that conceals art." Everything is clear, every note in place, nothing seems underlined for special emphasis. The emotion, the meaning of the lyrics completely present, but not overpowering the beauty of the music. Her focus always seems to be "How beautiful this song is," not "How beautiful my voice is." Composers must have loved hearing Doris sing their songs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

All are shown on TCM and Caprice has been shown on FMC, however Do Not Disturb (as far as I know) and Where Were You When The Lights Went Out, I don't think either has been shown in years anywhere. Not sure if Caprice has been shown on TCM, but FMC has shown the film.

I have access to all of them, and will watch them when I get to their respective years. Several I have on DVD, one is streaming on Amazon, and I found the rarities online. 

I added Doris Day to my list of people whose work I'm trying to see because she was the favorite movie star of my mother, and I'm watching them in her memory. Now that Doris has passed, they will be even more poignant viewing, even if they aren't among her better films.

BTW, although the Academy doesn't have the respect and cultural cache that it once had, I still find it a real shame that they never managed to give her an Honorary Oscar. I was rooting for her to be chosen for the last several years to no avail.

• Like 2

no one can sing like Doris! my all time favorite song from her

I don't know if it was a hit but I love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

image.png.6c2da5153ece53f1b6c602944a788743.png

TCM Programming Department:

"If we did the tribute on the 2nd, we'd be replacing TCM Imports with Peter Weir."

"But if we did it on the 9th, we'd be replacing Satyajit Ray, an infinitely better director."

"Perfect!"

41 minutes ago, skimpole said:

TCM Programming Department:

"If we did the tribute on the 2nd, we'd be replacing TCM Imports with Peter Weir."

"But if we did it on the 9th, we'd be replacing Satyajit Ray, an infinitely better director."

"Perfect!"

In fairness, the Coward was already on relatively recently ( possibly within the last year.)