Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

With all due respect to the Doris Day tribute, of the Satyajit Ray films scheduled for TCM Imports that evening, The Big City (1963) would have been a TCM premiere, so I really hope they will be able to reschedule those again in the near future.

2 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

With all due respect to the Doris Day tribute, of the Satyajit Ray films scheduled for TCM Imports that evening, The Big City (1963) would have been a TCM premiere, so I really hope they will be able to reschedule those again in the near future.

I'm sure they will. But probably not till September or October, after Summer Under the Stars.

here's a nice pic from the Academy that did not give her an Honorary Oscar

doris13.jpg

To me Doris Day was the ideal woman of the early 1950's and I love everything she did during this period.  I love listening to her sing.  It's going to be difficult to know she is not with us anymore.

• Thanks 1

I woke up to the news of Doris' passing.  I was so sad to hear of this news, especially since it was announced last month that she was still in excellent health.  At 97, I cannot say that I am shocked by the news, but I am still very sad.  I thought for sure that Doris would make it to 100.

I used to not be a big fan of Doris'.  I think it was because I'd heard her virgin reputation and assumed her films would be all goody goody (and why "goody goody," would turn me off of a film, I have no idea! I love watching The Brady Bunch!) However, I am not sure why she even has this persona.  Yes, she does have a bit of a squeaky clean image in her early Warner Brothers films, but she also plays young women.  In her comedies with Rock Hudson, I definitely don't see her as virginal.  She's a successful, independent woman who doesn't need to jump in the sack with the first man she meets.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I think the first film of hers that I watched which won me over was Pillow Talk.  This movie was so funny and I loved Doris' wardrobe, her rapport with Rock, Thelma Ritter, Tony Randall, everything.  Doris was so charming and beautiful that I wanted to see more of her films.  I love Doris' voice, singing and speaking.  She has such a calm, soothing sounding voice. 

I have downloaded many of her greatest hits on Apple Music on my phone and enjoy listening to her songs.  Her singing is beautiful and is definitely a nice way to spend the commute to and from work.  Aside from "Que Sera Sera," which is a great song, I also love "Sentimental Journey," "A Secret Love," and "Dream a Little Dream of Me." 

I am marathoning Doris' films tonight, starting with "Tea For Two," her first pairing with Gordon MacRae.  Doris and MacRae made such a great pairing, and his voice compliments hers so well.

RIP Doris.  You were truly one of my favorite stars. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MerryPickford said:

This is very sad news to hear about Doris Day passing away today. We all know some of these legendary Hollywood stars are going to leave the world one of these days but its always surprising to hear the news none the less. 

Even as a classic film fan, I've usually shyed away from her filmography, assuming the romantic comedy fluff genre she was well known for was not going to be my favorite kind of movies. That being said, I guess this is the right time to ask some Doris Day fans for recommendations on her top 5 movies that I should get a look at in tribute. 

I haven't seen a single one of her films yet, with the exception that occasionally when I've had TCM running in the background, I'd see Doris Day in a scene here and there out of context. 

My favorite of Doris' movies:

-On Moonlight Bay & By the Light of the Silvery Moon, a set of films that depict the trials and tribulations of the Winfield family at the turn of the 20th century.

-Pillow Talk

-Lover Come Back

-The Pajama Game

-That Touch of Mink

I also love With Six You Get Eggroll, even though it is pretty sappy and absurd at times.  This film has all the hallmarks of a sticky sweet film: opening credits drawn with crayons, a sappy opening song (not sung by Doris), a weird looking "cute" kid, silly situations, etc.  This film is like a smaller scale The Brady Bunch or Yours, Mine and Ours (with only 4 kids, versus 6, or 19, respectively), but deals with the stress of blended families.  There are some funny scenes with George Carlin and Pat Carroll who play a waiter and Doris' sister, respectively.  What I love most about this film is the pairing of Doris and Brian Keith.  I thought they made a great duo. 

If you want to ease into Doris' career by viewing some of her less "fluffy" films, I recommend:

-Pillow Talk.  The quintessential 1960s sex comedy (even though it came out in 1959).  This is probably one of Doris' best known films and her chemistry with Rock Hudson is off the charts.

-The Man Who Knew Too Much. Doris is paired with James Stewart in this Alfred Hitchcock remake of Hitch's earlier film of the same title.  Doris' signature song, "Que Sera Sera" factors heavily into the plot.

-Love Me or Leave Me.  Doris is paired with James Cagney in this biopic of singer Ruth Etting.  This film is the opposite of fluffy.

-Midnight Lace.  Doris, Rex Harrison, John Gavin and Myrna Loy star in this thriller.  Doris appears as a woman who is terrified that someone is out to murder her.

-Julie.  This thriller, co-starring Barry Sullivan, asks the question: "What happened to Julie on her honeymoon?"

I also love It's a Great Feeling.  Even though there are some questionable sound effects and the film isn't top cinema by any means, it's a fun film that features a ton of cameos of various Warner Brothers stars.  Doris appears as Judy, a waitress who is picked by Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan to star in their next film.  There are a variety of hijinks that ensue, with various Warner Brothers stars appearing along the way.  Watch until the end for the best cameo of them all!

• Thanks 1

Aside from TCM and personal collections, the following Doris films are available on streaming:

Hulu

I'll See You in My Dreams

Netflix

No Doris available

Amazon Prime

It Happened to Jane

The Doris Day Show (TV)

Starz

The Ballad of Josie

HBO Go

No Doris available 

Showtime Anytime

No Doris Available

Kanopy (available if your library participates)

Teacher's Pet

That Touch of Mink

• Thanks 2

it was this scene that I became a fan of Doris Day

from On Moonlight Bay (1951)

My mother was a fan of Doris Day and I remember being taken to the show by my parents as a kid to see her in Please Don't Eat the Daisies, followed a couple of years later by Jumbo and That Touch of Mink. I enjoyed the films well enough but, as a kid, quite frankly, I was far more interested in seeing films like The Guns of Navarone.

However, as the years rolled by I saw Day in quite a few of her films and, while her comedies as a "virgin" during the early '60s were not my cup of tea, I came to appreciate her tomboy rambunctiousness as Calamity Jane (she really looks like she's having a lot of fun in that film), her strong chemistry with Jimmy Stewart, as well as dramatics, in The Man Who Knew Too Much, and, in particular, the manner in which she stood up dramatically to a powerhouse James Cagney in Love Me Or Leave Me. If there was any film for which Day may have deserved an Oscar, that was the one.

I came to appreciate the lady for her talent, a talent that I sometimes think was not fully appreciated by many at the time (myself included). Yes, she had that wholesome screen image which became a butt of derision for some comics but there was also an engaging naturalness in her response to other actors on the screen. Michael Curtiz, who helped to discover her as an actress with her first film, Romance on the High Seas, told her to never take an acting lesson for fear that she would lose that freshness, that naturalness she possessed as an actress.

There was also, of course, her incredibly strong singing voice. Her voice really echoes through the halls when she sings "Que Sera Sera" at the climax of the Hitchcock picture, doesn't it, but, as a band singer, she could bring heart to her renditions of "Sentimental Journey" (with a few million servicemen falling in love with her voice) or "It's Magic" or "Embraceable You" or a few hundred other song hits.

Listen to the strength and clarity of Day's voice in this '40s song wonder, and you get an idea of why she enjoyed such strong popularity at the beginning of her singing career. That she would turn out to be so much more than just a remarkable singer, that she was, in fact, an equally remarkable actress, is one of the miracles of show business.

We are all so lucky that there was a Doris Day.

34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Aside from TCM and personal collections, the following Doris films are available on streaming:

Hulu

I'll See You in My Dreams

Netflix

No Doris available

Amazon Prime

It Happened to Jane

The Doris Day Show (TV)

Starz

The Ballad of Josie

HBO Go

No Doris available 

Showtime Anytime

No Doris Available

Kanopy (available if your library participates)

Teacher's Pet

That Touch of Mink

Thanks for taking the time to compile this list. It's a valuable resource.

• Like 1

As I read a previous thread on her TV show I wondered why it was never in syndication like so many of the other shows. Shows such as "Father Knows Best", "Bewitched", "All In The Family", etc. have been shown on various channels in syndication for years yet I've never seen her show in syndication. Have I missed something?

23 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

As I read a previous thread on her TV show I wondered why it was never in syndication like so many of the other shows. Shows such as "Father Knows Best", "Bewitched", "All In The Family", etc. have been shown on various channels in syndication for years yet I've never seen her show in syndication. Have I missed something?

Her TV sitcom was in syndication. It re-aired on CBS daytime in the mid to late 70s, after it ceased production. It then had several cycles on CBN (the Christian Broadcast Network) in the 1980s and 1990s. Later it was was released on DVD, all five seasons. Episodes aired on Me-TV a few years ago. Each season could be streamed on Hulu for awhile, and now it's available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

P.S. I just checked Me-TV's website. And The Doris Day Show is included on its roster of shows. 

A few episodes can be streamed on Me-TV's website. Including the one with special guest Tony Bennett:

https://metv.com/videos/the-doris-day-show/tony-bennett-is-eating-here

• Thanks 1

Okay then. I guess this'll have to be for the very last time now...

carnac.jpg

"Pickled herring, Dr. Christian Bernard, Doris Day."

hqdefault.jpg

"Name a sturgeon, a surgeon, and a virgin."

3a3b77c699384a5a51e8a5d10a0afa64.jpg

(...R.I.P., Doris)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for taking the time to compile this list. It's a valuable resource.

I wish there was more, but it’s all I could find with the streaming resources I have available. “Do Not Disturb” used to be on Netflix, but apparently isn’t anymore. 

36 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish there was more, but it’s all I could find with the streaming resources I have available. “Do Not Disturb” used to be on Netflix, but apparently isn’t anymore. 

A site I check sometimes is instantwatcher. It searches over 180 different channels and streaming services.

https://instantwatcher.com/

• Thanks 1

There are some things and people in this country that become/became "institutions", which places them on a much higher plane of existence than anything or anybody else.

DORIS DAY was definitely an AMERICAN INSTITUTION. 

At 97 years of age, her death shouldn't have come as a surprise.  But that fact doesn't make it any less sad.

Rest In Peace, Sunshine.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

1. ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948). Intended for Betty Hutton, but Betty had to bow out due to pregnancy. So it became Doris' motion picture debut. It's funnier than a lot of her later pictures.

The film group I belong to is screening this May 20th. We always alerted Doris when we'd screen one of her films-which are very popular. Doris Day would actually send us a note thanking us for keeping her films going & our president would read it out loud to us. (our president didn't like me mentioning it here, but maybe it's OK to say so now)

I think that's extremely generous & gracious of her. She had to know how thrilling it was for us. Doris Day is one of those people whose inside was totally shown by her outside. It's always sad and a little darker when such a positive person leaves this world.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

The film group I belong to is screening this May 20th. We always alerted Doris when we'd screen one of her films-which are very popular. Doris Day would actually send us a note thanking us for keeping her films going & our president would read it out loud to us. (our president didn't like me mentioning it here, but maybe it's OK to say so now)

I think that's extremely generous & gracious of her. She had to know how thrilling it was for us. Doris Day is one of those people whose inside was totally shown by her outside. It's always sad and a little darker when such a positive person leaves this world.

Yes. And I think this indicates what her legacy as a motion picture actress meant to her. Plus her connection with fans.

I found a bunch of interviews she did that are posted on YouTube. I had assumed she was a total recluse after the end of her television sitcom in 1973. But the truth is she did still occasional publicity related to various projects. Often in these interviews (which occurred on different talk shows) she would discuss her personal life, her films and her Hollywood pals.

Some of these segments were recorded on VHS so the picture quality and audio quality are not too great. But at least they're uploaded on YouTube for anyone to watch.

There's a 17 minute piece from an appearance she made on The Mike Douglas Show in 1975 when she was promoting her autobiography. There's a two-part interview she did with Gary Collins in 1985 for Hour Magazine, where she was promoting her series Doris Day's Best Friends for CBN. And there is a half-hour piece she did in 1993 for Vicki! with Vicki Lawrence. That time she was hosting a charity event to benefit her pet foundation. She gave Vicki a tour of the pet-friendly hotel she owned in Carmel. 

I'm sure there may be other interviews she did. But I found these three interviews to be rather interesting. Especially since they were done during three different decades, and you can see how she evolved/changed after her career in Hollywood had ended.

I was out sick yesterday and didnt even hear about it until the network news came on. Wish I had been here to at least share in the mourning. Very sad night for me. The news barely covered her career or the impact she had. Very sad day. :(

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

pictured below, a gathering of DORIS DAY FLORIBUNDA ROSES.

(has there ever been a plant to more resemble its namesake?)

doris-day-floribunda-rose-600x600.jpg

I own this rose, too! I've had it for several years. Really cherish it now. :( Beautiful yellow rose (Doris' favorite color) with a nice scent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I own this rose, too! I've had it for several years. Really cherish it now. :( Beautiful yellow rose (Doris' favorite color) with a nice scent.

I actually tried to send you a personal condolence yesterday via pm, but apparently yo inbox is full.

I am so sorry, I know she was a *special* favorite of yours.

I am SO NOT SURPRISED about the "no funeral, no gravemarker etc" details, she had been an UBER RECLUSE for a while, and I know she was a peculiar personality in her later years- TOTALLY UNDERDSTANDABLE AS HER LIFE HAD SOME REAL UPS AND DOWNS IN IT, and she even lost her only son not too long ago.

i had read somewhere that she refused to even be called "DORIS" or "MISS DAY" and instead went by some other name entirely, only I can't recall it at the moment...but it was something like EUNICE.