Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

20 hours ago, MerryPickford said:

That's a little unnecessary shade. While I may be one of the few on this TCM forum that hasn't had the pleasure to discover Day's filmography, there are unfortunately a ton of people who haven't discovered Doris Day films unless grandma showed them one. I'm of a younger generation that didn't grow up with these films like some people but of course there are exceptions. I'm sure you know, the highly viewed Que Sera Sera on youtube which a lot of young people have seen and become familiar with doesn't count as watching her movies. 

The truth is, we all love and respect old movies on here so I apologize if I offended some fans of Doris Day, at the same time, we all have our own tastes and have been guilty of not getting around to a classic movie or two(yet) due to one's preferences and own likes. If one disagrees with my previous statement with claims they have loved and favorited every single classic movie, they'd be lying. We are all incredibly intelligent human beings, BUT with subjective tastes. 

I will definitely check out your first five Doris Day recommendations and give them a watch in the coming weeks. I am always eager to prove myself wrong and become surprised when I explore someone's filmography for the first time. 

Thank you and have a wonderful week. 

Lastly, RIP Doris Day and hopefully TCM does a 24 hour tribute where I can DVR more of her films and enjoy them for the first time. 

I'm sure they will be doing a 24 hr. tribute. Doris was one of the last big stars left from the Golden Era. And, I agree, the remark was uncalled for. Sadly, many young people, don't even know who Doris is.

• Thanks 1

i CAN GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING, Her Last Will and TESTAMENT is 187 pages long and entirely about which animal in her menagerie gets what and goes where.

IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949) is an incredibly charming film, and a clever experiment in "meta" writing- Doris is, I think, the one actor in it who does not play herself, but an ingenue character.

it's highly recommended for fans of Warner Bros pictures.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

TCM schedule change

dorisday_obit_cu_01_100x148_051320191141

Turner Classic Movies will broadcast its tribute to Doris Day on Sunday the 9th of June with the following festival of films. This program will replace the previously scheduled movies for that day.

6:00 a.m. Romance on the High Seas (1948)

8:00 a.m. My Dream is Yours (1949)

10:00 a.m. Tea for Two (1950)

11:45 a.m. On Moonlight Bay (1951)

1:45 p.m. Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

4:00 p.m. Calamity Jane (1953)

6:00 p.m. Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

8:00 p.m. Pillow Talk (1959)

10:00 p.m. Lover Come Back (1961)

12:00 a.m. Move Over Darling (1963)

2:00 a.m. The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)

4:00 a.m. Julie (1956)

Thanks. One of the few Sundays I'll be getting up early! A good selection. The only noteworthy omission is Man Who Knew Too Much. :(

15 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Very sad. Even though she was 97 I had hoped she would make it to 100. She was a beautiful human being with a big heart and soul. I remember her voice talking about Rock Hudson on a TCM clip and when she mentioned how much she still missed him her voice broke as if she broke into tears. She's now reunited with her only child Terry and all her other dear friends (including dogs). The pet world has also lost a great advocate.

Her legacy will live on. And I'm sure her birthday celebration will too. A great way to contribute to her charity foundation.

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am SO NOT SURPRISED about the "no funeral, no gravemarker etc" details, she had been an UBER RECLUSE for a while, and I know she was a peculiar personality in her later years- TOTALLY UNDERDSTANDABLE AS HER LIFE HAD SOME REAL UPS AND DOWNS IN IT, and she even lost her only son not too long ago.

i had read somewhere that she refused to even be called "DORIS" or "MISS DAY" and instead went by some other name entirely, only I can't recall it at the moment...but it was something like EUNICE.

This is probably a tribute to Rock Hudson. She is on film talking about him when she said, "He always called me Eunice. I don't know why, but he did."

15 hours ago, arpirose said:

Sorry about Doris' passing. The animal advocates have lost great friend. There is a film that made me aware of her as a child."THAT TOUCH OF MINK"1961.  I loved it as a child.  It hasn't been shown for decades.I loved the automat scene.  I do not understand why it isn't played?  It has CARY GRANT in it as well.  It is a .charming comedy with Doris playing so well with Cary.

It is shown occasionally, but I have noticed not recently.

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Words cannot express how important and unique Doris Day's contribution is to Hollywood Cinema.

If she had just been a good singer, or a good comedic actress, or a good dramatic actress oh, that would have just been fantastic. But what she ended up becoming was an icon for the time she ruled the box office and not just with the Ross Hunter /Rock Hudson vehicles, but also in the critically acclaimed dramatic films, including Hitchcock's " The Man Who Knew Too Much ".

Yes, she was multi-talented and deserved her box office clout and her exalted place in classic films.

But what always impressed me the most about her

(And also about most of the great classic actors and actresses of the Hollywood Golden Era)

was that she was a Class Act, a professional who never gave a bad performance or let the public down in her work, even when she was personally having a hard time of it.

There was nothing fake or phony about Doris Day. Her generosity and kindness toward people and animals was sincere and profound.

For someone who ruled the Hollywood box office for so many years, there was nothing Hollywood about her.

Sometimes when a person has diverse talents, some of them are overlooked a lot by the public. Now I hope people can appreciate not just that she was a great comedic actress, but also that she was a great dramatic actress.

Her acting ability came through first in her singing.

After reading her autobiography years ago, I realized what an astonishingly strong and courageous person this woman was.

And that's how I plan to remember her.

I couldnt have said it better!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks. One of the few Sundays I'll be getting up early! A good selection. The only noteworthy omission is Man Who Knew Too Much. :(

I would have dropped THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT. Not one of her best films. 

I am sure she will be Star of the Month in 2022 (her 100th birthday).

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

She was one of the first---if not the first---Star of the Month. April 1994, I believe.

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I have access to all of them, and will watch them when I get to their respective years. Several I have on DVD, one is streaming on Amazon, and I found the rarities online. 

I added Doris Day to my list of people whose work I'm trying to see because she was the favorite movie star of my mother, and I'm watching them in her memory. Now that Doris has passed, they will be even more poignant viewing, even if they aren't among her better films.

BTW, although the Academy doesn't have the respect and cultural cache that it once had, I still find it a real shame that they never managed to give her an Honorary Oscar. I was rooting for her to be chosen for the last several years to no avail.

Yes, even a Facebook campaign didn't help. The Board of Governor guys just didnt care about her. Jackie Chan, sure. At the very least, she should have been given the Jean Hersholt award for her charity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noah80 said:

DORISDAYCAL2019.jpg

most likely this will be the last calendar

I don't see why. Proceeds go to her charity, so I'm sure it will continue.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I would have dropped THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT. Not one of her best films. 

It's silly, but entertaining. Too bad Daisies couldn't have been included also. One of the few films where she played a mother and very convincingly.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, even a Facebook campaign didn't help. The Board of Governor guys just didnt care about her. Jackie Chan, sure. At the very least, she should have been given the Jean Hersholt award for her charity.

I read a comment from Marlon Brando not long ago. They wanted to give him some sort of lifetime thing, and he told them he would accept but he would not appear on the telecast. They rescinded the offer, because their condition was that he had to appear (to help generate ratings). He said that made it clear to him they cared about the bottom line, not about honoring artistic integrity. If Doris was reclusive and didn't want to make a public appearance to accept such an award, they would have skipped over her.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's silly, but entertaining. Too bad Daisies couldn't have been included also. One of the few films where she played a mother and very convincingly.

PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES is included. It will air at 6 p.m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually tried to send you a personal condolence yesterday via pm, but apparently yo inbox is full.

I am so sorry, I know she was a *special* favorite of yours.

Thanks. Yes, she was. She was the last big star still alive that I had an emotional connection too. So furious I was out yesterday and had no online access to hear about it. I knew she couldn't live forever, but she was still in good health so I was really blindsided by this.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am SO NOT SURPRISED about the "no funeral, no gravemarker etc" details, she had been an UBER RECLUSE for a while, and I know she was a peculiar personality in her later years- TOTALLY UNDERDSTANDABLE AS HER LIFE HAD SOME REAL UPS AND DOWNS IN IT, and she even lost her only son not too long ago.

i had read somewhere that she refused to even be called "DORIS" or "MISS DAY" and instead went by some other name entirely, only I can't recall it at the moment...but it was something like EUNICE.

That was what Rock Hudson called her. Billy DeWolfe called her Clara Bixby!

My Top Five

Love Me Or Leave Me-Doris as Ruth Etting, torch singer who is controlled by gangster Marty Snyder (James Cagney). She matches Cagney scene for scene and takes a slap without flinching. This has many great songs for her. My favorite is the underrated "Never Look Back" one of the most poignant songs about a broken heart that I ever heard.

The Man Who Knew Too Much-She is a great Hitchcock blonde as an entertainer who son is kidnapped. Doris shows how great she is at performing with children, she saves her son with her singing voice. She said in her autobiography that Hitchcock never spoke to her during filming, she finally got a meeting with him to ask why. He merely said "You have not done anything that has displeased me". And that's high praise from him!

Pillow Talk- her first with her best leading man Rock Hudson. She shows her great comic timing matching wits with womanizer Hudson. Their phone conversations are sharp and funny. She has a fun musical moment singing the song "Roly Poly".

Lover Come Back-Just when I thought "Pillow Talk" was her best comedy, here comes one even better. She plays an advertising employee who once again is at odds with wolf in sheep's clothing Rock Hudson. He is an adman who pretends to someone else to steal her clients from her. The plot involves a candy made from pure alcohol and they both end up black out drunk. One of her funniest moments is waking up wearing a pajama top married to her hated rival!

Send Me No Flowers- the last and least of the Day-Hudson pairings. However this one has the best title song, written by Bacharach/David she sings it over the credits. Her funniest scene is waking Hudson up with a resounding, perfectly timed slap.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, laffite said:

This is probably a tribute to Rock Hudson. She is on film talking about him when she said, "He always called me Eunice. I don't know why, but he did."

I think it's more a slip of my mind- I remember the "Euince" thing now from the commercial.

No, it was something similar she insisted on being called, but not Eunice....maybe her real name...?

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think it's more a slip of my mind- I remember the "Euince" thing now from the commercial.

No, it was something similar she insisted on being called, but not Eunice....maybe her real name...?

Just curious, what commercial?

20 minutes ago, laffite said:

Just curious, what commercial?

"commercial" is not the mot just, I should've said the *tribute* to her various leading men she recorded for TCM not too long ago; she mentions JACK CARSON and JAMES GARNER, and of course ROCK and mentions the "EUNICE" anecdote discussing him lovingly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I read a comment from Marlon Brando not long ago. They wanted to give him some sort of lifetime thing, and he told them he would accept but he would not appear on the telecast. They rescinded the offer, because their condition was that he had to appear (to help generate ratings). He said that made it clear to him they cared about the bottom line, not about honoring artistic integrity. If Doris was reclusive and didn't want to make a public appearance to accept such an award, they would have skipped over her.

I've heard that too. Whether it was ever offered, we'll never know. I'm sure Doris really didn't care about it, but it's always bugged me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES is included. It will air at 6 p.m.

Oh, sorry. I missed that!

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think it might have been Clara?