Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

So I guess the best strategy is to go through Kirk Douglas' filmography and find the oldest film in which the other lead is still alive too.

Another lead actress from the studio era (she made films in Hollywood, England, Italy and her native France) is Micheline Presle. She was still appearing in films until just a few years ago. She's 96 and as gorgeous as ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micheline_Presle

• Like 1
3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

So I guess the best strategy is to go through Kirk Douglas' filmography and find the oldest film in which the other lead is still alive too.

This is the guide I use:

List of living actors from the Golden Age of Hollywood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_living_actors_from_the_Golden_Age_of_Hollywood

This is where I found out there's actually someone left from my favorite Deanna Durbin film That Certain Age (1938).  Helen Grayco is 94 although I have no idea what she looks like in the film. She must have been 13 years old during filming.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

I believe A Kiss before dying and April Love still have their leads that are still alive.

So is the question what is the earliest film with its two lead actors still living, or what is the film with its two lead actors who are well known stars that are still living?

I ask because Virginia Leith is the leading lady (still living) of A Kiss Before Dying (1956). Hardly a household name. Besides, is anyone certain that she got second billing over Jeffrey Hunter, or was she billed third?

On the other hand, April Love (1957) features Pat Boone and Shirley Jones, both well known.

Strangers When We Meet (1960) has credence if you're looking for a film with two living mega stars (Kirk Douglas, Kim Novak). But perhaps that's nit picking. It depends upon the question. If it doesn't have to be major stars then April Love may be the one, though certainly both Boone and Jones were quite big names in their day, as well.

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I listened to part of Terry Gross' introduction, I haven't finished the interview yet, but I thought it was funny that Doris' interview was paired with the second half of a Howard Stern interview (at least it was on the podcast app I used to listen to it). 

LOL. As an interview it was ok. It was nice to hear Doris, but didnt cover anything new. Can't believe Gross didnt know Doris lived in Carmel at that time. Didnt do her homework.

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

As a child one of my prized possessions was an album of Doris's Greatest Hits. "Teacher's Pet" was on that record. But I've never heard it any place else. And I only had stills of the movie from my Clark Gable film book from the 60s.

After all these years, I've never come across that film or even known anyone who's ever seen it.

I doubt that it's a lost film but, who knows?

TCM used to show it occasionally, but hasnt in many years. Wonder if its a rights issue again?

Just now, Hibi said:

LOL. As an interview it was ok. It was nice to hear Doris, but didnt cover anything new. Can't believe Gross didnt know Doris lived in Carmel at that time. Didnt do her homework.

UNPOPULAR (?) OPINION: I do NOT like Terry Gross and avoid FRESH AIR (the show, not literally) EVERY TIME IT'S ON.

29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

UNPOPULAR (?) OPINION: I do NOT like Terry Gross and avoid FRESH AIR (the show, not literally) EVERY TIME IT'S ON.

LOL. I don't listen to NPR that often as I foget what local station carries it. I've heard her before as I recognized her voice. But I don't remember for what. I thought she could've asked more interesting questions.

I just looked it up, so at least now where to tune in!

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I don't listen to NPR that often as I don't know what local station carries it locally. I've heard her before as I recognized her voice. But I don't remember for what. "I thought she could've asked more interesting questions."

THAT RIGHT THERE would be a 100% more accurate title for the show than FRESH AIR.

(so also would "52 Minutes of Navel-Gazing, with your enabler, Terry Gross.")

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought it was funny when Doris mentioned taking all 30+ dogs home when she lost the lease on the building she was renting to run her shelter.

I also found it interesting that Doris was maintaining that she was actually 2 years younger than what is reported, since her first boss had to tell nightclub owners that she was 18 when she was really 16.  It was interesting, because they stated that they were speaking to Doris on her 88th birthday in 2012, but she had just passed at 97.  If she really was 97, she would have been turning 90 in 2012.  If she really was 88 in 2012, she would have actually been 95 when she passed.

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THAT RIGHT THERE would be a 100% more accurate title for the show than FRESH AIR.

(so also would "52 Minutes of Navel-Gazing, with your enabler, Terry Gross.")

LMREO!!!

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

sorry, i feel guilty for getting salty and taking the focus off of Miss Bixby.

Here she was attending the 1958 Academy Awards with some guy she was making a movie with.

(LOVE this DRESS!)

f5f96e785bb0af5104b25c3c354ce197.jpg

Yes. LOL. I loved the dresses Irene made for her films in the late 50s/early 60s. I don't know if that particular dress is from Irene, but it could be.

19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALSO THIS...

9781935223337-us.jpg

I'm surprised there wasn't a Doris Barbie. I guess by the time they started doing celebrity ones they thought she was too old?

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I thought it was funny when Doris mentioned taking all 30+ dogs home when she lost the lease on the building she was renting to run her shelter.

I also found it interesting that Doris was maintaining that she was actually 2 years younger than what is reported, since her first boss had to tell nightclub owners that she was 18 when she was really 16.  It was interesting, because they stated that they were speaking to Doris on her 88th birthday in 2012, but she had just passed at 97.  If she really was 97, she would have been turning 90 in 2012.  If she really was 88 in 2012, she would have actually been 95 when she passed.

Yeah, I thought that part was a little odd. I think in her later years, she really came to believe she was 2 years younger

Does anyone here subscribe to the LA Times online? I've noticed there are many articles on her this week, but I can't read or post the urls as it wont let me unless I subscribe.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm surprised there wasn't a Doris Barbie. I guess by the time they started doing celebrity ones they thought she was too old?

Except they've made Lucille Ball and Vivien Leigh Barbies… But both Ball and Leigh were in Barbie form as their respective iconic characters.  Doris never really played an iconic movie character.  She, herself, was an icon. I think Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn have also been Barbies, but I'm sure it was because of their fashion icon status.